Maine to Nova Scotia by boat

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I've got two crazy kids who need to get to Nova Scotia from Maine. Problem is, they don't have passports and they're kind of running from the law. Is it feasible that they could take a civilian boat from the coast and sneak into Nova Scotia by night? And by feasible, I mean in a fairly loose fictional sense.

Does anybody know how long that would take on, say, a fishing boat? And are the waters patrolled?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Do they know how to sail a boat? Do they know the coastline? Can they read a chart?

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
It's a short trip with plenty of places to land, not heavily patrolled. I'd not have them stay with the boat very long. As long as they don't do anything to attract attention, they are not likely to have to show their passports to anyone. I've been in Quebec for 2 1/2 years now and never had to use my passport, except to cross the US/Canada border a number of times.

It would MUCH easier to cross into Quebec from Maine than to chance weather, etc to get to nova scotia in a boat. Once in Canada, getting to Nova Scotia would be no problem at all.

They would be in trouble if detected as immigration is a no-nonsense operation up here. (as it should be)

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to look at the stories about this: California yacht owner sees his stolen vessel wash ...

Depending upon speed and tank size, it's on the doable side for power, but it's going to be close. GPS means any idiot can navigate. Currents will offset your course a bit, but either coast is a pretty big target to hit. Waves can be big and steep.

Tends to be a fair number of fishing boats in the Gulf of Maine, but you can keep well clear of them. Coast Guard patrols but it's rare to see one until close to shore.

I'd have them ram a beach about 3 AM, steal a car, and be long gone before anyone wakes up. Landing in a harbor isn't as easy as it sounds, definitely involves understanding tides, and is hard for even experienced sailors at night. During the daytime, the harbor master will usually be around and a boat not checking in with the harbor master would be noticed.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It isn't very far, so they could take a fishing boat and get there. If they are trying to avoid the law, then it would be safer than going by road, especially if they didn't do anything to attract attention.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score

They found land! What more do you want from an idiot?

But compared to a compass course, made after calculating tidal and current set, and calculating in leeway, an idiot and a GPS is somewhat reliable. However, there's always a limit in how much idiot you can remove from an idiot. That's why people follow their GPS in turning left into a lake.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. I want this to be kind of action-packed, so I like the idea of stealing a boat or something. This gives me lots of good ideas :D

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. I want this to be kind of action-packed, so I like the idea of stealing a boat or something. This gives me lots of good ideas :D

Where in Maine will they be? That ,akes some difference as to how easy it would be to steal a boat and how difficult it would be to get to Nova Scotia. If they start from Portland, then they might get lost, but if they atart from Eastport, then they should manage it, and if they don't that says a lot about them.

PowerWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Of course it can be done, but there are obstacles. Maine to Nova Scotia is not a short or easy ride. If they don't know boats, there's virtually no chance they'll make it. It's 50 to 60 miles, the currents out there are trecherous, like a strong, deep river, the fog is usually quite thick, it's dang cold, and they'll likely beach on the French shore, a wide open strip where they'll be spotted easily and will stand out due to language issues, if they can even find a beach. Steal a lobster boat? It will be heard, if they can even pull it off.

Some yachters make the trip. They could hook up with some crusty old bugger sailing his big old boat back to Chester. He'll fly his Canadian flag, they can overhear him planning the trip and know he's alone. They could stow away. He could be sympathetic.

The New Brunswick border at St. Stephen is not hard to get across. They could steal a row boat across from St. Andrews. They could almost walk it at low tide. St. Andrews is a tourist town, and they could easily steal an American car at one of the hotels or B&B's. I'd guess many of the locals don't even lock their cars. It's then a five hour drive to Halifax. They'll arrive before enyone knows the car is stolen. A heck of a lot easier than sailing Fundy.

Do you have a particular destination in Nova Scotia?