Status
Not open for further replies.

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
A reviewer contacted me by email asking for a copy of my book. The email was polite and professional. He said he loved the cover and sample and wanted to review it to share with his readers. Frankly, I was flattered, and I said sure.

I would have preferred to send a pdf or Kindle download, but since the person asked specifically for the paperback, I was fine with that.

If a reviewer contacts you, do you send out an eBook version, or do you send a print copy? I do not have much experience with this, so if there are any unwritten rules of how to respond to review requests, could you please share them?

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
It's not unusual for a reviewer to ask for books in dead tree format.
Before I published with Musa (ebook only), I always sent paper copies. All of my other work was published with Kensington, and they sent me advance reader copies for the purpose of mailing to reviewers prior to release, and then final copies to do with as I would--no e-version except through NetGalley.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
When I book review, the authors usually just offer a kindle download, smashwords coupon, or PDF. But that's probably because those are my guidelines. Before I posted my guidelines, they had always offered those versions though. I didn't even know it was common to send out paperbacks. i'd be afraid it'd get lost in the mail or something.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
As long as I know the person really is a reviewer, I have the publisher send him one, but I contact teh publisher myself. It can save time and trouble.

I also have spare copies from the pubisher to use specifically as review copies when speed is of the essence.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
A reviewer contacted me by email asking for a copy of my book. The email was polite and professional. He said he loved the cover and sample and wanted to review it to share with his readers. Frankly, I was flattered, and I said sure.

Make sure that the person is really a reviewer and not someone cadging a free copy. Who are they writing for? URLs for some of their reviews? Etc.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I review books, and I don't have an e-reader. So I will of course strongly prefer a paper copy for review. (It takes me much longer to read a book on the PC screen, and it's not really comfortable.)

When it comes to asking for ARCs/review copies, there's only a few authors I know well enough online to ask directly. I know authors don't get that many review copies, and there's only been a couple of cases I have felt justified in asking them directly. In one of the cases I asked (, and I think it's three or four times I've asked,) the author told me that they didn't have any copies left, and told me to ask the publisher. And I saw absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I would never ask an author I hadn't interacted with online for a copy of their book for review. But then again I've been following publishing online for about five years now, and have lots of blogger friends online, so I know quite a bit about how ARCs/review copies work. I have no problem in asking the publisher for an ARC though, and it's not really hard to get hold of them.

A reviewer should not have a problem with being directed to contact the publisher by the author. And in these days, if there's e-ARCs on Netgalley, I see no problem in directing them there either.
If I get offered an e-ARC/e-Book directly from the author, I will tell them I prefer paper but I will take the e-book if that's the only one available. (I live in Norway, so I also tell them I understand if the postage is a bit too much.) But I will also tell them the simple truth, that it will take me longer to get to an e-book version.

Basically, you don't have an obligation as an author of providing a reviewer with a copy of your book at all, and especially not mail them a paper copy/ARC. Directing them to your publisher is not something you should feel guilty for doing.

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
Thank you so much for the great advice, this gives me a much better perspective. Sheesh, just when I feel like I have a handle on things, something new pops up. So it sounds like it is perfectly acceptable to either ask them what format they prefer, or even set a standard format for reviews if I choose.

And good question, dangerousbill, about who he reviews for/if he's looking for a free copy. I should have asked, and I will if this occurs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.