Following Up

abluerwhite

Shredder
Registered
Reaction score
Sent the query letter and then sent the requested book proposal/sample chapter. It's been two weeks since I sent the requested material. Is it polite to follow up now? There are no offers currently but I'd like to know where she's at without sounding impatient.

BethEllyn

Registered
Reaction score
nope, way too soon. I'm from camp Never Nudge, I don't like the idea, but many, many people are all for it, and I'm sure agents don't mind. But with requested material usually you should wait 3 ish months before nudging. hope this helps :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What she said.
Wait 3 months before following up, keep querying in the meantime and write something else.

Stephanie Witter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to all of this but two weeks is nothing! Many agents can take several months when they have to read some requested material. Did you check the website of the agency? Sometimes they post their average response time.

But I know how frustrating, difficult and nerve wrecking it is to wait for an answer. If you work on another story, it should distract you a little. :)
Let us know when you have an answer.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Nudge at three months on requested materials. That's standard. Some agents take less time. Some take longer. Waiting is hard, but it's not good to nudge earlier.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
The agent I sent my full to asked me to nudge after "a few weeks". I waited a full month, but I never received a reply to the nudge e-mail. I'm concerned the nudge didn't get through, but I don't know about nudging again. Trying to figure out which way is erring on the side of caution. Thoughts?

abluerwhite

Shredder
Registered
Reaction score
I could understand that if she had a partial or full. But, she has neither. It was just a single chapter and book proposal. It's been about a solid month since the initial query.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's 90 days on full manuscripts. 30 after a proposal at the earliest. You nudge every 30 days for a couple months. Then you call for the flying monkeys to pay her a visit.

I actually keep monkey food in the office I get so many visits.

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
I have a requested partial with an agent and a full. I am thinking of nudging the partial as it's been 2.5 months now, but they said they would get back to me in 4-6 weeks. So now I am considering nudging. However, I have no idea how to word a nudge (It's a first for me). If anyone has any tips how to word this and what to put in the subject bar so it catches agent's eye I would appreciate your pearls! I don't want to sound grovelling, but every email I've written so far (but not sent) sounds awful (and sadly, grovelling).

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
How to word a nudge

Dear Janet (or whatever you call AgentSlowpoke)

I'm writing to follow up on my submission of I/I/XV 1/1/2013 I wanted to make sure you received it and I didn't miss your reply.

Thanks for your time and consideration. Now quit fucking around on the Absolute Write Ask The Agent board and start reading your submissions.

Your name

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Now quit fucking around on the Absolute Write Ask The Agent board and start reading your submissions.

... to really get our goats, perhaps you could post pics of yourself relaxing on a lawn chair, sipping pina colada's, and reading travel brochures.

;-)

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Janet (or whatever you call AgentSlowpoke)

I'm writing to follow up on my submission of I/I/XV 1/1/2013 I wanted to make sure you received it and I didn't miss your reply.

Thanks for your time and consideration. Now quit fucking around on the Absolute Write Ask The Agent board and start reading your submissions.

Your name

Thanks. A lot simpler than my disgustingly gushing attempts.

What would I put as the subject tag so that it stands out from the millions in her inbox? Headbutting you into action might not go down all that well.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
What would I put as the subject tag so that it stands out from the millions in her inbox? Headbutting you into action might not go down all that well.

I actually put Nudge or Follow up with a colon and whatever the original e-mail said as indicated by the guidelines. So...

Follow Up: Query: Cool Title: Genre or
Nudge: Query: Author's Name: Conference we met at

You get the idea. Good luck. I decided to repeat my nudge after Bologna just in case the agent is attending.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
I say "Question about requested materials: TITLE". That seems to work.

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
I actually put Nudge or Follow up with a colon and whatever the original e-mail said as indicated by the guidelines. So...

Follow Up: Query: Cool Title: Genre or
Nudge: Query: Author's Name: Conference we met at

You get the idea. Good luck. I decided to repeat my nudge after Bologna just in case the agent is attending.

Thanks Debbie. This is helpful. I can't believe I am agonising over something so simple!

Mayqueen - your's is good too, esp as this is a nudge for requested material.
I am hoping I get a response in the next week (yes, I know I'm being a coward) as it's been 2.5 months since I sent it, so the 3 month grace period is still in force. Doesn't the whole submission just suck?

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Mayqueen - your's is good too, esp as this is a nudge for requested material.
I am hoping I get a response in the next week (yes, I know I'm being a coward) as it's been 2.5 months since I sent it, so the 3 month grace period is still in force. Doesn't the whole submission just suck?
Eek, I missed that, sorry! "Question about submission:"?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I put "Manuscript Status Check."

Hello,

Please consider this a polite nudge in regard to the status of my full submission of Fusion, an adult thriller, to XXXXXXXX Publications on 3-18-2012. Any information about its ongoing reading or rejection would be much appreciated.

Yours most kindly,

Chris Stevenson

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
I put "Manuscript Status Check."

Hello,

Please consider this a polite nudge in regard to the status of my full submission of Fusion, an adult thriller, to XXXXXXXX Publications on 3-18-2012. Any information about its ongoing reading or rejection would be much appreciated.

Yours most kindly,

Chris Stevenson

Ooh! Like this one. Thanks. At least I have two weeks to tear my hair out over what will probably be two lines. Writing a book is sooooo much easier.