Nausea during exercise?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd pop in here with a question and see if anyone has any tips for me. I've been working out for about five years now, and I've never had a problem with feeling sick when I exercise. For some reason, though, the past couple of weeks anytime I do anything that uses any amount of effort, I'm feeling a kind of heartburny, sick to my stomach feeling. It's interfering with the workouts because I have to stop and tone it down, and it's really frustrating.

It started when I began doing workouts with my trainer again after about a month off, but it's happening anytime I do any sort of exercise. I've done quite a bit of googling, but nothing seems to really answer the question. Any tips? I've been drinking plenty of water and not eating right before workouts. Basically, I haven't done a darn thing different (except maybe eaten fewer bananas as I keep forgetting to buy them), but for some reason this has started popping up.

mdgreene50

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gettotheinside.blogspot.com
Could you possibly be pregnant? That was my first thought. Have you ever had problems with heartburn/acid reflux before? If not, it's also possible you've got a mild, lingering virus causing some nausea. I'd say try a chewable Pepto or an antacid and hope this goes away soon! I know how much my workout means to me and how hard it would be to give up. :mad:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'm pregnant. I don't really have any other symptoms, but it's probably worth checking just to be sure. I have had some acid reflux problems before, but not in years. I used to have problems with it when I was overweight and drank too many acidic drinks. After I cut back on soda and started working out, that hasn't been a problem.

Though, now that I'm thinking of it, I did gain weight over the holidays. I wonder if I gained enough that it could be a problem again.

I really can't give up working out, partly for health and partly because it's my stress reliever and keeps me sane. I might need to go to my doctor and see what he says about the acid reflux thing.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've got some ginger tea. I should try having some before and see if that helps. It's usually my approach to an upset stomach, but it didn't occur to me to try it preventatively.

I drink tea in the morning, but that's always the same. I haven't been having more than usual. As for food, aside from the bananas I haven't really changed my diet. I know if I don't have bananas I tend to get leg cramps and that they're supposed to be good for sore muscles, so I try to stay on the ball about eating them regularly, but I don't know if it would affect heartburn.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... when you eat might be a factor. Training on an empty is fine, but sometimes not; especially if extended: ten hours before your last, etc. Try ~ three hours instead. Also might switch the time. Instead of morning, try the evening if you can swing that, or vice versa. G'luck. A visit to the Doc's is never a bad idea.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I always try to eat at least a couple of hours before, but not within an hour. If I don't eat I tend to have no energy, and if I eat too much or too soon before it tends to make me feel ill.

I'm going to start paying attention to what I'm eating, too. It might be that I've just had more acidic stuff lately without noticing it, and I did email my doctor to see what he thinks.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I know when similar symptoms occurred for me, it turned out u had high blood pressure. Once I was on meds everything was cool again. But of course all of this is speculation, your body is telling you something, I strongly advise you to see your doc.

Hope you feel better ( and hi!)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's always been really low (like startlingly low in a way that has freaked people out who aren't used to it). It's been checked within the past couple of months, so I'd be surprised if there was that much of an increase in that time. That's good to know, though.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Dehydration. If I don't drink enough water before going to yoga, I get nauseated part way through.

Get a 1L water bottle. Drink 2 full bottles throughout the day before you exercise.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
what's your heart rate getting to when training?

Usually around 180 or so. That's usually what I aim for and try to keep it at, anyway.

I've been drinking more water before I work out, so I'm not sure dehydration is the problem. I wondered if it was overhydration, actually. Maybe I'm overcompensating.

I talked to my kung fu teacher this morning, and she suggested working on my breathing, especially at the beginning of a workout. I worked on deeper breathing throughout practice today and didn't have a problem, but then again it was an easy practice, so it's hard to say if that's because the breathing exercises helped, or if it just wasn't a hard enough workout to make a difference.

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
when the heart gets going that fast, and depending on the fitness level off the individual, sensations of nausea is not uncommon...Blood is being shunted to the periphery to supply the tissues there and remove waste products...if oxygen debt occurs, we move into anaerobic metabolism...I would experiment with working at a lower HR for a bit and see what happens...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Asking a bunch of people who aren't doctors isn't really the best idea, but as a guy who likes to train and has been doing so a long time, here are my suggestions. Again, I'm not a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt (or a barrelful).

Get a health check first. It may be acid reflux, it may be your blood pressure, or it may be nothing at all.

If your heart rate goes that high, even if you're in good shape (in a cardiovascular sense) the lactic acid buildup may be responsible. If you're into the fat-burning zone as opposed to a muscle-building one, then you're going to feel nauseous. I would suggest going at a pace which drops your heart rate a little lower, that is, if you're just doing cardio as opposed to your martial-arts training. There's really no extra fat-burning benefit if your heart rate goes that high. JMO...

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
to be fair, most doctors aren't experts in the area of exercise physiology...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
to be fair, most doctors aren't experts in the area of exercise physiology...
--

True, they're not, but they generally have a better understanding of the workings of the human body than laypeople do. (Even the "generally" might be debatable as I've met my share of dumb-ass doctors:)).

Anyway, hope Kaitie's problem has cleared up.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
First, define "exercise". Is it more aerobic or weight training or what? You mention Kung Fu--is that part of it or is it anytime you get your heart rate up?

Blood pressure occurs to me as well, or possibly a pinched nerve in your hip or shoulder. Yeah, I know that doesn't sound right because why would something in your hip or arm affect your stomach/esophagus. But the nerve centers work in weird ways. I used to weight lift and discovered every time I did one particular exercise after I strained my rotator cuff, I would get nauseous. Turned out all I needed was a visit to the chiropractor and the nausea went away. :)

But definitely check the blood pressure. You might also schedule a visit to the doctor to do a heart stress test. This may be your body's way of telling you that there's something else going on with your heart. The signs of heart distress in women are very different from men:

From the American Heart Association:

1.Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
2. Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
3. Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
4. Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.

...women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.

Obviously, the goal of exercise is better health, so definitely check in with your doctor to make sure where you're at right now.

We want you around for a long time to come. Please don't ignore something that's worrying you. We wuves you! :Hug2: