PDA

View Full Version : Veronica Mars is back!

katiemac
03-14-2013, 02:07 AM
Thanks to a Kickstarter campaign, the Veronica Mars movie is looking like it will happen. Warner Bros. Digital is agreeing to pick up marketing and distribution costs of the movie if Rob Thomas raised $2 million. The campaign was live on Kickstarter for 4 hours before passing $1 million and breaking Kickstarter records.

I think we'll have Ms. Mars back after all... At her 10-year high school reunion.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project

Manuel Royal
03-14-2013, 02:38 AM
I watched the pilot of that show, but nothing after that. Was it a good series?

Satori1977
03-14-2013, 04:47 AM
I loved this show!! This would be very cool if it happens.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-14-2013, 04:55 AM
Well, I begin to wonder if it wasn't something of a time and place thing for me--but I loved that show. I have never tried to rewatch it since it went off, so can't speak to whether or not it held up. At the time however, I had about as serious a crush on Kristen Bell as is possible for a big ol queer like me.

mellymel
03-14-2013, 05:03 AM
I LOVED LOVED LOVED VERONICA MARS. However, I will admit that both times I watched it (when it originally aired and again about 2 years ago on Netlfix streaming) that I didn't make it through the third season. Not sure why, but both times I lost interest in the third season, so I don't know how it freaking ended. But that being said, I laughed my ass off at that vid and personally cannot wait for the movie. I WILL be seeing it in the theater.

katiemac
03-14-2013, 05:17 AM
11 hours and $2 million reached. It's officially on!

Amadan
03-14-2013, 05:48 AM
I thought Veronica Mars was okay, but I kind of agree with curmudgeonly writer Nick Mamatas (http://nihilistic-kid.livejournal.com/1824596.html).

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-14-2013, 06:04 AM
I definitely agree with him that donating money to a movie studio like the one in this case sucks. And I will not be donating myself. But if the movie does get made I'm pretty sure I'll see it. And then the studio can have my $10.

katiemac
03-14-2013, 06:26 AM
I thought Veronica Mars was okay, but I kind of agree with curmudgeonly writer Nick Mamatas (http://nihilistic-kid.livejournal.com/1824596.html).

The studio never thought the show had a fan base big enough to warrant continuation in any form. The Kickstarter campaign is how they agreed to measure the fan demand for the film.

That said, I don't want this to become commonplace, nor do I think there are many shows that could pull it off. Arrested Development could be another, but they leveraged the Netflix deal instead. Now that the $2 million is reached, I'm curious how much it would continue to grow.

I personally didn't donate nor will, but there are some interesting incentives built into donating (T-shirts, copies of the eventual DVD! A walk-on role). I think it's a bit off to donate $10k - there's an interview at EW.com with the guy who did.

What I do think this proves, though, that the scope of TV is changing.

Sage
03-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Those pledge gifts are pretty amazing. Oh, to have 3500 spare dollars ;)

Roomie, who doesn't even like VM, was impressed with just the script for the $10 pledge

Manuel Royal
03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Arrested Development could be another, but they leveraged the Netflix deal instead.Ah; I guess that'll be streaming only. Doesn't work for me. I've recently spent literally hours on the phone with Netflix's tech people, trying to get their piece-of-crap Silverlight to work on my PC. In the end, they lost my business.

Shadow_Ferret
03-15-2013, 07:46 PM
So... if I understand this, the kickstarter thing is to fund the making of movies from television shows nobody ever watched?

katiemac
03-16-2013, 12:00 AM
So... if I understand this, the kickstarter thing is to fund the making of movies from television shows nobody ever watched?

Kickstarter itself has nothing to do with the industry. People use it to raise money to fund whatever project(s) they want.

The creators of the TV show are using it to their advantage.

mellymel
03-16-2013, 03:47 AM

Obviously people DID watch and love the show which is why they not only raised the needed funding to kick start this project but raised the money in record time.

Rob Thomas was on CNN talking about it this morning and with the minimum pledge of $35 comes a free download of the movie (when it's done), a VMars T-shirt, and copy of the script. Higher donations come with other "gifts". I think it's pretty cool, and if you are a fan, very worth the donation IMO (and obviously the opinion of MANY others). ;)

Max Vaehling
03-16-2013, 09:08 PM
I think it was a neat move. Normally I'd agree that kickstarter money should be directed to the smaller garages (and if it had been a choice between two such projects, I'd have gone with the smaller one, but it wasn't). But from how I understand it, this wasn't about convincing WB that there's a free movie in this, it's about showing them there's a market for the movie, as shown by those 50,000+ people already lining up to watch it. They're a big studio, they don't care about how much people want to watch that thing, they only care about how many.

And it's like John Rogers pointed out: (http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/2013/03/veronica-mars-kickstarter-thoughts.html) Nobody got screwed. The pledgers decided for themselves that those rewards were worth what they payed for them, particularly if you count the added value of Making It Happen. I'd have payed the $50 to get the DVD if it shipped to Germany just because International DVD ordering is still a mess (and International licensing is even worse - there's no telling what the European release will look like, if there is one).

The remaining question is if the inevitable additional attention from bigger companies will, in the long run, broaden Kickstarter's reach and maybe even generate more money for everybody, or if it'll bottleneck the limited resources it generates into fewer, larger projects, leaving less for the ones that really need it. But we don't know that, either way. We'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime - yay! New Veronica Mars!

Amanda R.
03-17-2013, 09:25 AM
The remaining question is if the inevitable additional attention from bigger companies will, in the long run, broaden Kickstarter's reach and maybe even generate more money for everybody, or if it'll bottleneck the limited resources it generates into fewer, larger projects, leaving less for the ones that really need it. But we don't know that, either way. We'll have to wait and see.

Absolutely. I know nothing about VM, but I do love Kickstarter. I've supported nearly 30 projects in the last 6 months and am running my own first project now. Kickstarter is getting a huge publicity boost off of this. People who never even heard of Kickstarter are joining and pledging just because of VM. Hopefully those new members will click around the site and back other projects as well.

Sage
02-15-2014, 08:07 AM
A month away from the Veronica Mars movie. I'm pretty excited. :e2bouncey

Tickets went on sale today for the midnight showing opening day.

Diana_Rajchel
02-16-2014, 12:24 AM
I bought my tickets last night. I will be sneaking out of a convention to attend opening night!

BeatrixKiddo
03-12-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm seeing the movie Friday! I binge watched all three seasons recently after a friend introduced me to the series. Such a great show! Wish I'd known about it years ago.

AHunter3
03-12-2014, 05:36 PM
We're watching the old seasons on DVD. Looking forward to the movie!

Max Vaehling
03-12-2014, 06:37 PM
In Germany, it already launches tomorrow, because Thursday is the traditional day for the movies week to begin.

But I don't think they'll show the original version in my town, so I'll wait patiently for my download, along with everybody else.

Didn't manage to rewatch the series either - when the download date was confirmed, I was already a month or so behind. (I don't binge watch. I try to never watch more than an ep a day of anything, unless it's a two-parter. Makes me enjoy each episode more.) So I guess I'll watch the movie, then rewatch the show and watch the movie again. Maybe even take the time to clean my VM t-shirt before rewatching the movie.

whiporee
03-15-2014, 05:12 AM
I watched it today. Like seeing an old pal. Pretty much in line with the show -- good, funny, smart, not brilliant, kind of contrived at parts.

But fun to see everybody again.

katiemac
03-16-2014, 05:17 AM
I've seen it twice now. I liked it the first time but liked it even more the second time around. It's clunky in parts (Rob Thomas's first attempt to direct a feature, after all) but a worthy addition for the series. It felt like all the good parts of a 22-episode season smushed together even if the mystery wasn't the most puzzling.

Plus I'll be adopting that flip-you-off-while-I-apply-my-lipstick trick.

It's doing pretty well, too, considering: on track to make $2 million from theaters this weekend, and that doesn't include the VOD download sales.

Max Vaehling
03-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Loved it.

It didn't feel at all like a feature film, more like a continuation of the show. The scope of the crimes and the conflicts - it's nothing they couldn't have done on the show as well, but the familiarity totally worked in its favor. As for the extra bang in design and production values, I guess that's the thing: the kickstarter money went into making it all better and more textured, but not into making ... more. The feel of it reminded me of old-time noir hits like Chinatown. Or maybe that's just because I've watched that recently.

As I've tweeted right after watching, it's like coming back home, only for once it all seems bigger.

No idea how this works for new audiences, though. I mean, the movie opens with several minutes of recapturing the show and the years since. I can imagine that's not for everybody, although it totally worked. Today's blockbusters just don't ease you in like that...

Sage
03-17-2014, 05:51 AM
I appreciated the intro, but I'm not sure how much a non-fan would.

The movie was fun and familiar, with more places that made me jump than the average VM episode. But the mystery didn't have that "Oh, shit" feeling the way the first and second season finales did (& midseason mystery arc finale in season 3), and I wished we could have had that.

Max Vaehling
03-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Oh, it totally did it for me. But I always liked Gia...