• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Issues of being Overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battyvamp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Do any of you ever get overwhelmed with your WIP's and just give up or come close to it?

I am bound and determined that I am going to write this novel and get published, some how, some way. But as I look at where I am at in my story, and what still needs to be done, I get overwhelmed and think I can't do this.

I think one big thing for me is the fact, I find it easier to work on it by writing it out on paper, then putting it on computer later. Which creates a lot of work. Though sometimes I don't mind, because I can add things that I forgot to, or change something that doesn't make sense with what I already have written in earlier scenes.

Another for me is issues I am having at home. Like my health and my boyfriends, and finding a job before unemployment goes bye bye. It gets distracting and I resent the fact that I can't spend all of my time writing.

What do you guys do when or if this happens to you?

My dream has always been to write, and I can see it in the distance but days like this it seems to slip past the horizon and become impossible.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Do any of you ever get overwhelmed with your WIP's and just give up or come close to it?

If I get overwhelmed, it's usually a big indication I need to take a break. I'm especially prone to this if I'm stressed, or down about something.

Taking a break really helps, and it sounds like you should take one. :)

Another for me is issues I am having at home. Like my health and my boyfriends, and finding a job before unemployment goes bye bye. It gets distracting and I resent the fact that I can't spend all of my time writing.

Ack! Batty, don't make that mistake. You need to get your priorities straight: health, employment, and personal relationships come first.

Writing doesn't help you with any of these goals*, and writing will be there for you to come back to when the other problems are dealt with. Writing will wait.

So go take that break, sort out your health, and you'll feel much better when you come back to writing afterwards.

(*You could argue that writing is a potential employment option, but most writers write while holding a full time job. Especially new writers. Don't bank on writing as your only financial support.)

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Mhhhhhmmmm!

I get overwhelmed often. And I over think so much and instead of just writing and enjoying the process I tend to think too far ahead nad thats when I get stressed out and things get on top of me.

If I let it all go and just write because it makes me happy I find things get done not only quicker but better and with less stress and strain and tension.

I also second what Emaree has said. You have to have your priorities right. I understand that writing is important, but there are other things in life that trump it.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Totally. If I look at the work to be done as a whole, I can work myself up to the edge of a full-blown panic attack.

But, if I break it down into smaller bits, it's not bad. I don't look at a blank page and think "I have to fill 400 of these with original words."

Instead, I plan to write 1250 words per day. That's less than the average short story. I can easily face that.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Make writing a priority. It's important, and it deserves a place in your regular schedule - not something that should make you feel guilty or that is only done when there's nothing else to do.

Make a list of what's important in your life - health, job, family, boyfriend, church, exercise, pets, cleaning - whatever you have in your life that matters. Put writing on the list and then schedule accordingly.

Remember where it goes in your list of what's important and don't let less important things keep you from writing, while you don't let writing keep you from more important things.

I rank writing below family, but above friends. I will skip writing time to attend my son's band concert, but I will beg off a night out with the girls to go to my writing group. Neither choice makes me feel guilty, because I know what's important to me.

Hamilton

Registered
Reaction score
Everything seems overwhelming when it's bundled into a giant, hellish ball. Break what you need to do down into the tiniest possible pieces, and tackle them one at a time. Finishing a novel may be overwhelming, but finishing the next paragraph is probably manageable. Coming up with the perfect ending may feel impossible, but decided whether you want said ending to be happy, sad, or somewhere in between brings you a little closer.

BethEllyn

Registered
Reaction score
hmmm...do I get overwhelmed? five or six times a month I yell at my parents for teaching me to follow my dreams, and not forcing me into med school or something that would be a steady living even though I'd hate it. Haha. So yeah, I def get overwhelmed, but it usually means it's time to step away for a day or two and take a break :)

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think your problem might be that you're focusing on getting your book published one day rather than simply finishing it! Of course every writer has the goal to get published, but make little steps on the way. Focus on each page, chapter, draft, etc.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
I am bound and determined that I am going to write this novel and get published, some how, some way. But as I look at where I am at in my story, and what still needs to be done, I get overwhelmed and think I can't do this.
I feel overwhelmed from time-to-time, but my first novel (now trunked) felt especially daunting. One thing that helped me was thinking that regardless of how many words I wrote each day--whether it was a couple of sentences or a couple thousand words--every word was one step closer to finishing.

I think one big thing for me is the fact, I find it easier to work on it by writing it out on paper, then putting it on computer later.
Everyone has their own methods. I feel that as long as it works for you and allows you to keep pushing forward, keep at it.

Another for me is issues I am having at home.
I agree with what other members have already mentioned. Figure out your priorities. IMHO, your health should be at the top of your list.

Most times, I like to keep writing until I finish whatever it is I am working on, since I think it is a good habit to get into. But I'll admit there have been a few times I've been totally burnt-out on a particular project. On these occasions, I go off and write something new.

Good luck.

Last edited:

tlotson

Registered
Reaction score
Its a cliche, but take it one step at a time. If you worry at the same time about how much more you have with your book, your personal life, and your employment, it will be overwhelming (personal note: I have had this trio - writing a book while unemployed in a long distance relationship). You need to focus on completing the little tasks and not look at the big picture all the time. Don't set a goal to finish a big book, set a goal to get just a tiny bit farther on that book each day. Or send one resume, or whatever. The sum of all of those "tiny" steps will add up quickly, and you'll be far less stressed.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Quite often it seems my WIP is too big a task for little old me. I've set up this world, and these characters, and an elaborate scenario for them to operate under, and the idea of writing their story occasionally feels like being asked to write David Bowie's autobiography - can I do this story justice? Can I represent them to the best of my ability? Will it suck big hairy balls?

The only answer, in my experience, is to switch off the inner critic and just write on autopilot. Don't even pay much attention to what you're putting down. Just do it. You can make it sparkle later, but if there's no foundation, there's nothing to polish.

As for life pressures....I know how you feel. In those instances, your sanity comes first. If you can't focus because you feel unwell, or because you're worried about things, don't force yourself. Take a break. Do something that relaxes you.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I find it easier to work on it by writing it out on paper, then putting it on computer later. Which creates a lot of work.

I write on paper first. I mean, you're gonna re-write anyway, so why sweat that? (One poster here who claimed to only write one draft slipped up and revealed that he wrote with pen and paper first, so even the most hard-core revise-as-you-go writers do it twice ;) - and your rewrite will really go a lot faster.)

But I agree with Crunchyblanket. If you have a lot of stress, take care of survival first. You're only dissipating your energy by trying to write, then stressing about your writing (because stressing out is a big energy hog - and a great distractor from one's substantial problems)

When I was coming to terms with the end of unemployment I couldn't do anything. Just let it be. You'll be stronger once you get things sorted out, and you'll have the energy, focus and time you need to work on your story again. And enjoy it while you're at it :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score

I think one big thing for me is the fact, I find it easier to work on it by writing it out on paper, then putting it on computer later. Which creates a lot of work. Though sometimes I don't mind, because I can add things that I forgot to, or change something that doesn't make sense with what I already have written in earlier scenes.

My dream has always been to write, and I can see it in the distance but days like this it seems to slip past the horizon and become impossible.
---

I can understand your situation. I'm a lot older than you are, have my wife and children to think about, worry about making a living from teaching, have some health issues, etc.etc.

FWIW, take care of the important stuff first. What that is, you have to decide, but if it comes down to an either/or choice between you and your boyfriends/family/mental health/job/all of the above and your WiP, then I'd choose the more personal things. Just sayin'...

As for writing it all down on paper, that's exactly what I did with my first novel, wrote it as a way of coping with stress when my mother got ill and after she passed on. I wrote a little each day, dealt with my other problems, and wrote a little more. Once I had time, I committed myself to putting it on the computer and got published. Lucky me.

Life for the younger set is stressful no doubt, but you can deal, right? Break down your day into manageable tasks--take care of the school thing, the personal thing, family thing, and after all that's done, focus on the writing thing. As someone said, there's no need to sit at your computer or in front of your blank pieces of paper and say "I MUST write 5000 words a day".

Write what you can, when you can, and if you're too tired or brain-dead, write down some questions about your MC and look them over the next day. Where does he/she go? What happens next? What does his girlfriend/boyfriend say? And so on. If you can answer these questions on paper or the computer, then that's progress. It doesn't have to be perfect; it just means getting your ideas down. Little bits add up over time to a lot.

Last edited:

Battyvamp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Totally. If I look at the work to be done as a whole, I can work myself up to the edge of a full-blown panic attack.

But, if I break it down into smaller bits, it's not bad. I don't look at a blank page and think "I have to fill 400 of these with original words."

Instead, I plan to write 1250 words per day. That's less than the average short story. I can easily face that.

Yeah I have tried to write at least a page or two a night before bed. At least it is something that is getting done. But there are nights where I just conk out and don't write anything. To tired or just not sure what to put down with all the thoughts of the novel going through my mind.

Everything seems overwhelming when it's bundled into a giant, hellish ball. Break what you need to do down into the tiniest possible pieces, and tackle them one at a time. Finishing a novel may be overwhelming, but finishing the next paragraph is probably manageable. Coming up with the perfect ending may feel impossible, but decided whether you want said ending to be happy, sad, or somewhere in between brings you a little closer.

I have been putting down scenes as they come to me, even if they are not in order. I figure I will put them in order and fill in any gaps later.

I feel overwhelmed from time-to-time, but my first novel (now trunked) felt especially daunting. One thing that helped me was thinking that regardless of how many words I wrote each day--whether it was a couple of sentences or a couple thousand words--every word was one step closer to finishing.

Everyone has their own methods. I feel that as long as it works for you and allows you to keep pushing forward, keep at it.

I agree with what other members have already mentioned. Figure out your priorities. IMHO, your health should be at the top of your list.

Most times, I like to keep writing until I finish whatever it is I am working on, since I think it is a good habit to get into. But I'll admit there have been a few times I've been totally burnt-out on a particular project. On these occasions, I go off and write something new.

Good luck.

That's how I feel, even if it is a few words or sentences, at least it is more then I had.

I feel like I have taken enough time away from this, I have been working on it off and on for a couple years and don't have much to show for it, because I have gone weeks if not months without writing down anything.

I have no clue where to start. I start thinking should I just write this scene, but if I write this scene will it be to much work to put it in the proper place later, and so on. :(

Its a cliche, but take it one step at a time. If you worry at the same time about how much more you have with your book, your personal life, and your employment, it will be overwhelming (personal note: I have had this trio - writing a book while unemployed in a long distance relationship). You need to focus on completing the little tasks and not look at the big picture all the time. Don't set a goal to finish a big book, set a goal to get just a tiny bit farther on that book each day. Or send one resume, or whatever. The sum of all of those "tiny" steps will add up quickly, and you'll be far less stressed.

What you and everyone else has said makes a lot of sense. I should just focus on small goals and the little picture instead of the whole.

Quite often it seems my WIP is too big a task for little old me. I've set up this world, and these characters, and an elaborate scenario for them to operate under, and the idea of writing their story occasionally feels like being asked to write David Bowie's autobiography - can I do this story justice? Can I represent them to the best of my ability? Will it suck big hairy balls?

The only answer, in my experience, is to switch off the inner critic and just write on autopilot. Don't even pay much attention to what you're putting down. Just do it. You can make it sparkle later, but if there's no foundation, there's nothing to polish.

As for life pressures....I know how you feel. In those instances, your sanity comes first. If you can't focus because you feel unwell, or because you're worried about things, don't force yourself. Take a break. Do something that relaxes you.

Well you summed it up perfectly.I feel that exact same way when I think of the world I have created, including the question you posed of "Will it suck big hairy balls?"

---

I can understand your situation. I'm a lot older than you are, have my wife and children to think about, worry about making a living from teaching, have some healthy issues, etc.etc.

FWIW, take care of the important stuff first. What that is, you have to decide, but if it comes down to an either/or choice between you and your boyfriends/family/mental health/job/all of the above and your WiP, then I'd choose the more personal things. Just sayin'...

As for writing it all down on paper, that's exactly what I did with my first novel, wrote it as a way of coping with stress when my mother got ill and after she passed on. I wrote a little each day, dealt with my other problems, and wrote a little more. Once I had time, I committed myself to putting it on the computer and got published. Lucky me.

Life for the younger set is stressful no doubt, but you can deal, right? Break down your day into manageable tasks--take care of the school thing, the personal thing, family thing, and after all that's done, focus on the writing thing. As someone said, there's no need to sit at your computer or in front of your blank pieces of paper and say "I MUST write 5000 words a day".

Write what you can, when you can, and if you're too tired or brain-dead, write down some questions about your MC and look them over the next day. Where does he/she go? What happens next? What does his girlfriend/boyfriend say? And so on. If you can answer these questions on paper or the computer, then that's progress. It doesn't have to be perfect; it just means getting your ideas down. Little bits add up over time to a lot.

Thank you for the idea of even if I don't write anything for the novel, asking questions about it. Makes sense and I think that will help. Thank you.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
I have no clue where to start.
If "pantsing" isn't for you, have you ever tried outlining? Some people write backwards (I haven't tried this myself, but who knows what might work for you). I found post #8 interesting, particularly this part:

My final scenes dictated what I needed in my story.
Maybe starting with your final scene might help you figure out your storyline.

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know how it feels to be overwhelmed. Like others have said, you need to think of your story in manageable blocks. Don't think about publishing just yet. Think about the next chapter.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I do sometimes get overwhelmed. Not usually by the writing, though I can get writer's block just like anyone, but by life. Life gets in the way sometimes. I went through a period awhile back, where Brian and me lost 5 beloved pets within a few months of each other. Two were older, three were young and had unexpected health issues. Two died within a week of each other. Brian and I don't have kids. Our pets are our furry babies. I know that it's not the same thing, but I felt like all of my children were dying. I didn't really write anything for two years. I simply lost my heart.
Then I sat down and wrote a novel in two months. Go figure.
Less dramatically, there are times now when life is busy and stressful enough that I can't focus on my writing. It doesn't stop me, but it slows me down. Just give yourself a break, and don't let it throw you. Writing isn't a race, and sometimes life gets in the way.

Ghostwriter-Mom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionblueprints.com
Ooh, I get overwhelmed a lot. The thing is I have 2 toddlers at home and I'm expecting another baby anytime soon. My husband is a student and I'm a stay at home Mom...my entire life can be overwhelming! Most times I wake up very early to write, or I stay up late. But when I start snapping at my husband and the kids, I know it's time to take a break and I leave off the writing for a couple of days.

Like everyone else has said, your health, job and personal relationships are priority. Neglecting them in favor of writing will not ease up on the stress anyway, so you might as well just get them sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.