PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience self-publishing children's e-books?

LiMeiLing
03-12-2013, 09:02 AM
I can't figure out a good way to market a self-published middle-grade e-book. I know kids use the internet, but I personally feel like it's currently mostly adults in the e-book world. Particularly buying e-books. Am I wrong? Has anyone had success with this? What did you do?

Todd Young
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes, I think you're pretty well right. I don't think there's too many middle-graders with ereaders. This might change in the next few years, but a lot of what middle-graders read depends on what other kids are reading.

I'd suggest writing a short story and distributing it for free through Smashwords (to Barnes & Noble, iTunes, Sony and Diesel) with a link to your novel at the end. That might pick up some sales for you.

NottiThistledore
03-15-2013, 05:09 AM
It's a very tough market, although I think that this will change over the next few years as kids increasingly gain access to tablets and readers. I could definitely see books formatted for phone reading taking off, though.

I write illustrated chapter books, and the print copies tend to far outsell the ebook versions even though they're much more expensive. Parents keep citing the fact that they want to be able to read the books with their kids, and that print books make this a more rewarding experience.

elindsen
03-19-2013, 01:26 PM
My children's book is in ebook and print. I list on Amazon and do two free days per month, hoping the parents will like it and buy the print.

Torgo
03-19-2013, 02:26 PM
I can't figure out a good way to market a self-published middle-grade e-book. I know kids use the internet, but I personally feel like it's currently mostly adults in the e-book world. Particularly buying e-books. Am I wrong? Has anyone had success with this? What did you do?

The younger the audience, the smaller the market is. The only really viable children's ebook market in the UK at the moment is YA, and that's because it's mostly adults reading YA in the first place.

The SP stuff doing well in ebook stores at the moment is on the steamy New Adult end. Middle grade is not going to be particularly lucrative for a while yet, unless you're Wimpy Kid.

shelleyo
03-22-2013, 08:05 AM

Bookbub offers paid ads to its many, many followers in a variety of genre, and they've either just added or are about to add middle-grade to this. It's not cheap, lots of requirements, most people get rejected, but you might consider it. I can't personally recommend it as I've never used it, but if you Google around and look at other boards, a lot of people are pretty happy with it.

profen4
03-28-2013, 04:56 AM
Just stepping into this arena myself. My first book launches on the 15th. I'm making it a priority to have print available. It's a pretty modest set up fee at places like Lightening source or Createspace. Formatting is a bit more expensive, but I think it's worth it. Mind you, I have zero experience so it might all be for nothing :\

Good luck!

Baloo
04-24-2013, 04:21 PM
I want to publish my kid's book, in two parts, 50k words each, on Amazon. Anybody know the best route to take on that? I'll probably sell the first part for a bit less than a 1. I'd need it proofed and a cover designed, although I know already what I want for that. Do Amazon cover this or will I need third parties? I am clueless obviously.

I've had it read by a consultancy service who really liked it, albeit they couldn't green light it to an agent.

profen4
04-24-2013, 04:29 PM
I want to publish my kid's book, in two parts, 50k words each, on Amazon. Anybody know the best route to take on that? I'll probably sell the first part for a bit less than a 1. I'd need it proofed and a cover designed, although I know already what I want for that. Do Amazon cover this or will I need third parties? I am clueless obviously.

I've had it read by a consultancy service who really liked it, albeit they couldn't green light it to an agent.

Just don't rush it. Amazon doesn't do any covers, editing, formatting... all that needs to be done by you (or third party). Get it all sorted out, before uploading anything to Amazon.

Good luck.

PS - you don't need the consultancy to send stuff to an agent. I know that there are a couple in the UK who will send to agents for you if they really believe in the project, but them not believing in the project doesn't mean it's not right for agents.

Baloo
04-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Just don't rush it. Amazon doesn't do any covers, editing, formatting... all that needs to be done by you (or third party). Get it all sorted out, before uploading anything to Amazon.

Good luck.

PS - you don't need the consultancy to send stuff to an agent. I know that there are a couple in the UK who will send to agents for you if they really believe in the project, but them not believing in the project doesn't mean it's not right for agents.

Thanks for that. So I would email the words docs to a third party to format? What kind of cost would you envisage, formatting, proofing, cover... for two 50k books?

The consultancy was really an evalaution of the piece and to give it a last chance on the traditional route. I got a lot of good feedback from it, so it wasn't an entirely wasted cheque. I'm editing it now from the notes she gave me. I will need to proof it, although she raised no issue with that side save it was voiced unevenly in her view - the main reason she didn't forward it to agents with her approval stamp.

Sorry to be a pest.

profen4
04-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks for that. So I would email the words docs to a third party to format? What kind of cost would you envisage, formatting, proofing, cover... for two 50k books?

The consultancy was really an evalaution of the piece and to give it a last chance on the traditional route. I got a lot of good feedback from it, so it wasn't an entirely wasted cheque. I'm editing it now from the notes she gave me. I will need to proof it, although she raised no issue with that side save it was voiced unevenly in her view - the main reason she didn't forward it to agents with her approval stamp.

Sorry to be a pest.

Use Draft2Digital for eBook formating if you want to do it yourself. It's free, and for a small % they'll upload it to all the distribution sites.

If you have a hard time with their formatting, you can pay someone to do it for you, and it will likely cost $100 bucks or so.

For Print book formatting, use Createspace (CS) and/or Lightening source (LSI).

You'll need to have someone layout the book, or you'll need to do it yourself. Prices vary, but you might pay anywhere between $200 and $2/page (or more) depending on who you get, and what their background is. Like most things, you generally get what you pay for.

Check background, quality of their work, and talk to clients.

ETA: I see now that you were just talking about eBooks, sorry, you probably didn't need the info about CS or LSI...

Arpeggio
04-26-2013, 05:36 PM
It's a very tough market

You can say that again. A search for "Childrens books" on Amazon.com gets one and a half million results. Approaching bloggers and reviewers outside of retailers like Amazon seems an option.

LiMeiLing
06-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Thank you everybody for all your thoughts on this! I write books for adults as well, so this just cements my resolve to continue to send my children's book to agents and just put my adult titles on Amazon for now.

Also, profen4 and Todd Young, how did you manage to put your book covers in your signatures? I tried that with mine but it kept saying it was too big even when it was much smaller than yours.

profen4
06-26-2013, 08:14 AM
I used Photobucket. you upload the image, and then copy the url they provide that is specific for forum signatures.