Oz, the Great and Powerful

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I guess we could talk about how truly freaky the Baum books are, or what was missing from the recent movie. (My take: great special effects, good acting, but it didn't engage me emotionally.)

What I was wondering: Why do directors keep using Danny Elfman? His music is instantly recognizable, but also instantly forgettable. There are plenty of good composers available.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I thought it was very meh, and found it really sad that the witches had to be represented not as women with agency, but how they related to a man (and how evidently even though they had real magic is wasn't nearly as powerful as fake magic, and how none of them could sit in the throne, only a man could).

I also found the writing weak, and Franco's acting charmless. Some of the visuals were stunning, but some too fake. I wrote a detailed review here, for anyone interested: http://geekhardshow.com/2013/03/review-oz-the-great-and-powerful/

(also if people are interested in the representation of the female characters in the film vs the original books - read this. It's fascinating: http://www.film.com/movies/oz-the-great-and-powerful-witches )

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man. I shouldn't have clicked here. I have a girls' day with my daughter Sunday, and we're going to see this before manis/pedis. We've both been looking so forward to it. I'll let you guys know what I think.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I thought it was very meh, and found it really sad that the witches had to be represented not as women with agency, but how they related to a man (and how evidently even though they had real magic is wasn't nearly as powerful as fake magic, and how none of them could sit in the throne, only a man could).
Yes, that's disappointing. As has been pointed out, L. Frank Baum was a feminist and the Oz books are full of active female characters, with their own agenda. The male characters are essentially sidekicks. (Except for one, who turned out to actually be a young woman enchanted into the form of a boy.)

I was also irritated by how the early part (in Black & White Kansas) conflated honest stage magic with dishonest fakery.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I can't figure out why people keep ogling over the special effects. They're not that good, y'all. The CGI was distractingly horrible.

There were parts of it, individual scenes, like the little China girl getting her legs reattached, that were good, but the overall pace and writing was just sloppy. I expected better from Sam Raimi. This felt like he was trying to be Terry Gilliam, and failing.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score

Booooooooooooooooooo

I was thinking about seeing this, but now I think I'm going to stay home and throw knives at a wall.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to agree on the special effects--or lack of them thereof. Some looked great and the others...cheesy.

Franco is okay in the title role, but the whole movie seemed to distance itself from me, or rather, I didn't feel involved in it. Growing up and watching the original, well, yeah, everything else pales, and reading the Baum books as a child and letting my imagination take over...this film is too hit and miss.

I'd say it's worthwhile renting, but not a buying thing.

("Oreo, reee-o, Oreo, reee-o"--sorry, had a Wreck-it Ralph moment there:D)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
As someone who grew up loving the OZ books, everything I've heard about this film makes me very sad. I knew from the commercials that it would be more of a Judy Garland film inspired prequel (via Wicked) than any sort of actual attempt to bring the original stories to film, but I was still hoping they'd at least capture some of Baum's spirit...

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Johnny- You should really read that article I linked to above (not my review, the article below it. I mean, you can read my review too, but that's not my point . . .). I mean, it'll depress you because it explains how this film does not at all capture Baum's spirit, but it's a fascinating article nonetheless.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Johnny- You should really read that article I linked to above (not my review, the article below it. I mean, you can read my review too, but that's not my point . . .). I mean, it'll depress you because it explains how this film does not at all capture Baum's spirit, but it's a fascinating article nonetheless.
Oh, I read both. That's why I'm sad...

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sorry :( .

But hey, it did so well at the box office that a sequel is being planned which means they will get the chance to rectify their mistakes!!

Or, you know, just keep making new ones . . .

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Well, there is that, I suppose. I have a habit of blocking out the bad of some of my (former) favorite directors even when it's been smacking me in the face for years. Glad I'm not the only one who hated Drag Me to Hell though. I dunno why so many horror fans squee over that mess.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, I think Spider-Man 3 would have been better if he hadn't been forced to put Venom in by the studio.

At least, that's what I heard.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've read some mixed reviews about this, and was wondering whether to or not. My sister is a huge OZ fan, but she flat out said 'no.' So I think it's a no.

We are a bit strange though, we both love Jim Henson's Back To Oz. :D

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, I think Spider-Man 3 would have been better if he hadn't been forced to put Venom in by the studio.

At least, that's what I heard.

Oh, don't blame Venom--he's a great character. The failing is in the way the whole thing was written. Venom's arc was too short and too simple, Peter Parker's "emo" phase was embarrassing, and the whole love triangle business with Harry was just stupid--and should've ended with the first movie.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, don't blame Venom--he's a great character. The failing is in the way the whole thing was written. Venom's arc was too short and too simple, Peter Parker's "emo" phase was embarrassing, and the whole love triangle business with Harry was just stupid--and should've ended with the first movie.

I wasn't blaming Venom, per say, I was blaming him being forced in there at short notice.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

I agree, but I didn't even like the first movie all that much. Everyone complains about Spider-Man 3, but I was never really impressed with any of them. :)

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Franco is horrendous in this, totally miscast. Everyone else is okay but rather one-note. Zach Braff and Joey King are impressive as the voices of Finley and China Girl. The story drags a little but goes down easier on a second viewing.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
It's worth a rental, but I'm wishing I'd seen Jack the Giant Slayer instead.
Another beef I have with this is they butchered the Wicked canon.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
WICKED isn't canon. It's by an entirely different author written in a completely different time.

If anything it's in the same category as this film, a modern storyteller creating a prequel to the original work. Now whether they are comparable quality wise, that's a whole other question.