PDA

View Full Version : Porlbme solver - Write a note to yourself

jst5150
02-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Great advice to help think through tough challenges. I can see how this would apply to "writing yourself into corner" or any writer's block, too. Link is here (http://www.43folders.com/2006/02/02/write-to-yourself/). Snippet is below:

In the body of the message, start by typing a 2-3 sentence paragraph summarizing the trouble youíre having, with a focus not on your frustration or your dramatic need for immediate help ó instead concentrate on coolly describing exactly what you want to accomplish as well as what happens when you try the approach that hasnít been working for you. Remember: youíre theoretically writing this to the smartest, busiest person you know, so donít waste their time with theatrics, melodrama, and passive-aggression; just give them accurate information that describes where youíre getting hung up.

Next, explain the ways youíve already tried to solve this problem, including any alternate solutions, workarounds, hacks, reboots, etc. Anything that will help this very smart friend rule out possible causes is useful. And donít be reluctant to use Google as you go; fact-checking yourself, choosing precise language, and ensuring that youíve framed the right problem.

Marcusthefish
02-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Good advice. I write letters to myself when I'm revising something. It helps me to get a handle on the next task, and to consider variations on plot and character. I got the idea from Crawford Killian's book: Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy.

MTF

jst5150
02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
I must have JUST come out of surgery when I did the title line for this one. I blame Percoset. If anyone else wants to challenge me, well, I'll take more Percoset and fall asleep. ;-)