Astronomy question

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All. I'm trying to tie a celestial event that happens every 35-45 years into a short I'm writing. So far I've had no luck. I don't really even know how to do a proper search for such an event. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks loads!!!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Venus returns to it's original position in the sky every forty years. It forms a pentagram as viewed in the intervening years (one side every eight years). This is thought by some to be why the number forty is used in the Bible so often.

Of course, just viewing Venus wouldn't be that spectacular. I didn't know whether you were looking for that kind of event, or just something that recurs every 35-45 years.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
Venus returns to it's original position in the sky every forty years. It forms a pentagram as viewed in the intervening years (one side every eight years). This is thought by some to be why the number forty is used in the Bible so often.

Of course, just viewing Venus wouldn't be that spectacular. I didn't know whether you were looking for that kind of event, or just something that recurs every 35-45 years.

Thanks Alleycat. It doesn't necessarily have to be spectacular: the close alignment of one or two planets with the moon; a comet (though I'd prefer something else). In the story a certain event recurs every 30-45 years and the main protag is going to have a tattoo signifying the celestial event that coincides with it. If that makes sense, lol.

DPRichard

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Just spitballing here because I don't know offhand of an event that happens with that kind of regularity.

But assuming you don't need it to be able to withstand a lot of scrutiny, why not create an allignment of some sort between Earth's Moon, Orion's Belt and Mars (objects easily visible in the night sky and that have been tracked by mankind for centuries)?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
There could easily be a comet that returned every 35 or 40 years.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
Just spitballing here because I don't know offhand of an event that happens with that kind of regularity.

But assuming you don't need it to be able to withstand a lot of scrutiny, why not create an allignment of some sort between Earth's Moon, Orion's Belt and Mars (objects easily visible in the night sky and that have been tracked by mankind for centuries)?

Well, of course I prefer to be accurate, but I may have to make something up. That actually has some appeal to it; I could name the event or a comet after my dog, lol.

Thanks, Richard!!!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Venus returns to it's original position in the sky every forty years.

Ummm . . . considering Mr. Einstein and all he uncovered . . . what exactly is the "original position in the sky" of the planet Venus?

Aside from that, the planet Saturn, well known to all astronomically-intrigued classical peoples, orbits the sun every 29 years. Which means it would appear in the sky in one of the standard zodiacal constellations with that same regularity. Probably the best constellation for the purpose would be Scorpio, owing to its ease of recognition and the bright red star Antares it contains.

caw

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Alleycat. It doesn't necessarily have to be spectacular: the close alignment of one or two planets with the moon; a comet (though I'd prefer something else). In the story a certain event recurs every 30-45 years and the main protag is going to have a tattoo signifying the celestial event that coincides with it. If that makes sense, lol.

If it helps at all way back at the dawn of time Venus was referred to as a comet.

K-

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
Aside from that, the planet Saturn, well known to all astronomically-intrigued classical peoples, orbits the sun every 29 years. Which means it would appear in the sky in one of the standard zodiacal constellations with that same regularity. Probably the best constellation for the purpose would be Scorpio, owing to its ease of recognition and the bright red star Antares it contains.
caw

Thanks Blackbird. I'm not sure what all that means, lol, but I'll read up on it. It sounds good

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Ummm . . . considering Mr. Einstein and all he uncovered . . . what exactly is the "original position in the sky" of the planet Venus?

caw

I would imagine its the position it was in forty years earlier, relative to the sbserver.