Creative People! Help with a history program?

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys :hi: Long time no see! I've dropped in to spy on you a few times this past year and now I'm hoping you awesomesauce folks can help me with something.

I need to put on a history program about my college campus for about a dozen students. It was kinda decided for me that it will be a game-style program for junior-senior students, with free food. I am trying to figure out how to create such a game that will be fun and interesting for this age group, without boring them to death with a history lesson.

One suggestion was a jeopardy-style game, but I have no prize and I'm not sure how to set up such a game... hmm...

Any ideas? I might just kiss you if you have one. Thanks so much!

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
First off, they're college kids. Get a local pizza place to donate some prizes, maybe a few favorite off-campus hangouts, stores, etc. Package them up with one really good one as the grand prize. Gift certificates are good because it gets people in to their establishments and they usually wind up spending more than the amount of the certificate.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, the no-prize thing is actually a rule and not just failure on my part. Not allowed to get anything from off-campus and the only on-campus things we can have is food for the event. Otherwise, I'd probably get freaking bar gift certificates... anything to get them to come out!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Could you make some of the food the prize?

If it is history you could do an archaeological dig. Bury stuff that is to do with the history of the place - maybe an old year book wrapped in a tarpaulin, a sports cup, old photos and any other artefacts you can find. You can set it up quite easily using a bit of garden. Set the scene by telling them that all sorts of old artefacts have been found in a particular area and they are going to research it. If you can't use a bit of garden an old bath tub is a good substitute!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about a Clue style game about the school and offered subjects?

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't have to do it all in one location, what about a geocaching/treasure hunt type of thing?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can set up Jeopardy from a template, for Powerpoint with a projector, or in Notebook for a SMARTboard. You can google how to do this and download a template. Teachers use it a lot and no sense reinventing the wheel. You can use an Eggspert or similar buzzing-in system to make it more jeopardy-like. Or go old-skool and tape up sheets of paper on a board with the questions behind them.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow guys, thanks. I started Googling your suggestions. Great ideas and led to even more of them.

I'm thinking of doing a History Mystery game in which clues about buildings or historic people (etc) are provided until the students can guess correctly. I really wish I had a prize, Liralen! Maybe I'll bug them until I can get one.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to promise undying love... or perhaps "I won't stalk you if you win..."