PDA

View Full Version : If you're not backing up you should be.

MissyLaRae
03-09-2013, 06:08 AM
For a really long time I used to back up all of my stuff on an external hard drive, and then like a lazy a$$ totally got out of the habit.

Then my MAC crashed and I thought life as I knew it was over.

I'd been backing up on dropbox (http://www.dropbox.com)for a really long time for professional use, but I'd never saved my writing on there.

After that I made sure I ONLY wrote out of the files that I had saved in dropbox.

If you're not using it you should be. It's amazing and you can access it on every mobile device known to man.

WriteKnight
03-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Script files are small. I just email them to a Hotmail address I keep. I can access them anywhere as well.

leversandpulleys
03-09-2013, 10:31 PM
What she said. Dropbox is an absolute gift for writers. Since you are writing out to a local drive there's no lag or inconvenience, and yet all of your changes are continuously shipped off to the cloud. Not only that, but you can access old versions on Dropbox if you need to do some emergency version control.

Also, if you like to write across platforms and your software of choice saves in something wonderful like plain text, you can access your files from anywhere on anything (tablet, phone, work desktop). Cool stuff.

Craig

Saul Rothman
10-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Script files are small. I just email them to a Hotmail address I keep. I can access them anywhere as well.

I do the same. At the end of each day, I email my work to myself. That way, if anything goes wrong for any reason with the physical things in my home, I will still have the work in cyberspace.

Saulisa

ebbrown
10-05-2013, 10:34 PM
A thumb drive works for me. So far, so good.

Kathl33n
10-05-2013, 10:46 PM
These are all wonderful ideas! Thanks for posting!

Dropbox is pretty awesome.