Notify agent of other requests?

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So I've read some mixed opinions on this one, and I'm looking to get some advice.

I know you're supposed to notify all of the agents who are reading your work when you get an offer of representation, but should you notify them when you get new requests?

Ex. My first request was a partial. In the week since then, I've received another partial request as well as a full request. Neither of these agents requested an exclusive read. Should I inform them that they're not the only ones reading my material? Or is this unnecessary?

If so, what's the best way to do this?

Thanks so much for any help!

BethEllyn

Registered
Reaction score
you only contact them if you get an offer--they don't need to know about any requests or anything.

If an agent wants an exclusive and the material is already out with other agents, you just have to tell the agent who requested the exclusive that other agents are reading it.

hope this helps :)

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
One exception: I've run across a couple of agents recently who specifically asked if others had it yet, and said to let them know if I got more partial or full requests. It's pretty rare, but if they do ask you to, keep them updated.

That said, if they don't come out and ask you to, don't do it.

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
So if I have a full out to an agent currently, am I still okay to pitch to agents at an upcoming literary conference?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yes, it's okay to pitch it. But at a conference, I would tell the agent that you've got a full out.

Otherwise, just tell them if they ask.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

quacktaculaura

Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yes, it's okay to pitch it. But at a conference, I would tell the agent that you've got a full out.

Otherwise, just tell them if they ask.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Thanks. That's what I had planned to do, but I wasn't sure if it would push the agent at the conference away if they knew someone else had it out.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
I can only speak for myself, but I always assume someone else is considering the book as well. Sometimes I might ask if I have upgraded from a partial to a full and know I'm interested, but I don't need to get regular updates from the writer every time someone else requests.

I think any agent would want to know if there is an offer on the table, however.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I've also heard from several agents that they like to be informed of an offer on the table even if they only have a query at the time. Some of them will pass, some of them will request instantly, but they'll almost always be grateful that you gave them a heads-up.