PDA

View Full Version : "The Man in the Hat stories" - Call for short stories submissions

TheManintheHat
03-08-2013, 06:11 PM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1507/tmithstoriesbanner.png

Hello everyone,

My name is Antonio Bernal and Im an artist and illustrator, creator of the series The Man in the Hat (www.themaninthehatart.com)

Im reaching you to present you a creative, collaborative, writing project: "The Man in the Hat stories", where Im inviting all creative souls to write short stories based on my artwork. The short stories will be published on The Man the Hat website (www.themaninthehatart.com) and Facebook page (www.facebook.com/thmaninthehatart).

The Man in the Hat is a series of quirky watercolor illustrations, with a strong narrative, but no actual plot behind each scene. Many have suggested the illustrations could make up for a great story, so now is the time to reveal those stories, and it's up to YOU to create, imagine and write them.

The idea with the Man in the Hat stories is to engage the viewers into the creative process and ask them to write whatever story the illustrations inspire to them.

This will an interesting experiment, as typically, stories are written first and then an artist or illustrator is asked to create the artwork based on the text. This time, however, we are trying to do it the other way around, so it should be fun and very interesting to see what the illustrations suggest to different viewers and writers.

How to participate:

Choose up to three illustrations from the series to inspire and illustrate your story. You can view the complete series on the website gallery (www.themaninthehatart.com/gallery) or the Facebook album (http://tinyurl.com/bcd5jkb)

Write your story with a word count limit of 3,000 words. It can be as short as you want.

Email your story to themaninthehatart@gmail.com

For more information, visit: http://www.themaninthehatart.com/stories

Thank you very much for your time. Please do not hesitate to let me know me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Antonio Bernal

mirandashell
03-08-2013, 06:16 PM
You say on your website that the writer will keep the copyright for the stories? Can you publish them in that case?

What kind of credit does the writer get? And what if someone else wants to pay to publish the story with the art? What arrangements have you made for that?

TheManintheHat
03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
You say on your website that the writer will keep the copyright for the stories? Can you publish them in that case?

What kind of credit does the writer get? And what if someone else wants to pay to publish the story with the art? What arrangements have you made for that?

Hi Miranda, and thanks for asking.

Basically, by submitting your story and emailing it to me you are giving me your permission to post your story on my website, end of story.

If you want to publish that somewhere else, the copyright is yours, so that will be none of my bushiness. If you publish it somewhere else that requires that I take your story down from my website, I will do so.

The writer gets credit in terms of getting their name aired and shared within my website audience and Facebook page's community, which are both pretty healthy. Also, if you have a blog or website, I will link it on my page, next to your name in your story. Note that I will be doing a fair amount of promotion of all the stories, as that drives traffic to my website, and at the same time, gives promotion to collaborating authors. Furthermore, as a little sign of gratitude and appreciation, you have the chance to win a gicle art print of the artwork used for the story.

If someone else wants to publish one of the stories and also use my artwork to illustrate it, I'd review the request and based on the conditions and type of publication I'd provide a quote for my fee for using my artwork. I wouldn't be involved at all with the publishing of the text, as I do not own any copyrights.

I hope that answers your questions.

Best wishes,

Antonio

mirandashell
03-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks Antonio.