PDA

View Full Version : Robbed in Manila/ Hacked in Kansas

shakeysix
03-08-2013, 08:50 AM
My e-mail has been hacked. I've changed my password but have lost my contacts and most e-mails. If you have an e-mail from me--shakey six smith--claiming to have been robbed in Manila and in need of cash, don't reach for your checkbook! go for the delete key. so sorry for all the hassle and the spam--shannon

jjdebenedictis
03-08-2013, 08:54 AM
That sucks, ShakeySix. Hope you can sort it out without too much stress to you or your friends and family! ((((*hugs*))))

Liralen
03-08-2013, 09:17 AM
That sucks. What a nuisance. Surely the only people who fall for that stuff are people who can't figure out how to use e-mail?

Please tell me the e-mail doesn't start out, "I'm not in Kansas anymore . . ." ;)

shakeysix
03-08-2013, 09:25 AM
No. But that would make a great spam:

Dear Aunty Em,

I'm not in Kansas anymore. Lots of flying monkeys and a pissed off witch. Send $ for a bus ticket outtahere!

Komnena
03-08-2013, 04:11 PM
That sucks, Shakey.

Ambrosia
03-08-2013, 05:32 PM
I got hacked a couple months back. Got an email from my lawyer saying, "I got this strange email from you. Did you get hacked?" It was embarrassing, but I finally came to terms with the fact it happens and the embarrassment was silly. It wasn't my fault I got hacked.

I feel your pain. Hang in there.

Snowstorm
03-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Like Ambrosia said, it's not your fault. I hope you get all your email addresses back. We always have too much stuff going on to have to deal with this garbage. I hope that all resolves itself soon!

regdog
03-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Sorry to hear that, Shakey.

Maryn
03-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Hacked email is getting to be normal. I have four email accounts through which I attempt to keep my personal, professional, online shopping, and this-is-gonna-get-me-spammed selves separate. Every single one of them has been hacked, two of them twice, one three times. I'm vigilant about signing out when I'm done, and I don't use a guessable password or share passwords across multiple accounts.

It happens, and people learn to ignore the emails from your account which obviously aren't from you. So don't worry about it, okay?

Maryn, noting all her hackers have been outside the US

BradyH1861
03-09-2013, 06:13 AM
So does this mean I shouldn't send my bank account information to the Nigerian General who says he is my long lost cousin?

shakeysix
03-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Last night at eleven I had a phone call from my sister. That usually means a family emergency. I jumped out of bed to find out that I was the emergency. My eighty year old aunt had just gotten the e-mail and called her about going to the Philippines to help me out. Because my own folks are dead so of course my last surviving aunt and uncle will have to get me out of this mess.

Fortunately my uncle is a little older and more street wise. He was trying to convince my aunt that the e-mail was" one of them hoax deals." Thank God they called my sister to check the story out before they hit the reply button.

My family drives me crazy from time to time but the idea of my Aunt Gail and Uncle Johnny coming to the rescue of their poor, orphaned niece--I'm 62 years old!- just makes me grin. So proud to know them--s6

Liralen
03-09-2013, 09:58 PM
:) Must give you the warm fuzzies to have family like that :)

I've divided my e-mail too. The old Yahoo account has been hacked twice. I probably should shut it down; I rarely check it, but I've had it since almost the beginning of Yahoo. A lot of my friends' g-mail accounts have been hacked; mine hasn't . . . yet.

The Zoho account is the one I've switched all the personal and important stuff to and I've liked it better than any of the others. It's far and away better than the others at screening out spam and the Zoho Docs . . . I LOVE. Even friends who don't use Zoho can read what I send using Zoho Docs.

mccardey
03-09-2013, 10:01 PM
the idea of my Aunt Gail and Uncle Johnny coming to the rescue of their poor, orphaned niece--I'm 62 years old!- just makes me grin. So proud to know them--s6

Oh god - I've just fallen in love with them :)

MaryMumsy
03-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Reminds me of a couple of years ago. Dad got an email from an old AF buddy. He had his stuff stolen in London, and needed help to get back to the states. While Dad is pondering what the guy is doing in London, I'm going "Dad, it's a scam".

But bless your Aunt and Uncle. Her for caring, and him for his street smarts.

About a year ago one of my older cousins almost fell for the "phone call from a grandchild in trouble in a third world country" scam. Fortunately a couple of other cousins were visiting when the call came in. He was all ready to head for the bank, they said "are you stupid? call him on his cell phone". The kid was in LA and not in any trouble.

MM

BeatrixKiddo
03-10-2013, 06:57 AM
What's the best way to protect your email from getting hacked? I try to change my passwords regularly. It hasn't happened yet (knock on wood) but I know it will eventually.

shakeysix
03-10-2013, 07:21 AM
A friend's 90 year old mother fell for the extended car warranty scam this past month. The salesman represented himself as working for the dealership where she bought the car. She is a widow and drives a very nice older car that she keeps in top condition. The premiums for the extended warranty were more than a car payment on a new car!
My friend got the thing stopped but it wasn't easy. He was exasperated and asked his mother what she was thinking. She burst into tears. He felt terrible. --s6

Liralen
03-10-2013, 07:23 AM
From what I've gleaned, they tend to go for the big carriers, Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail (which seems to be really easy, everyone I know who uses Hotmail has been hacked numerous times).

My dad bought $2000 in stocks from a phone call. Surprise. They tanked.

BradyH1861
03-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Back in the AOL days, my email got hacked and used to send spam. I got a nastygram from AOL saying that they were going to suspend my account for violating my terms of service and sending spam.

I wasn't even at home when the emails were sent. This was back when I was a firefighter and I was very obviously at work when they were sent.

I got a signed affadavit from every police officer and firefighter that I had worked with on that shift and threatened AOL with legal action. They backed down.

Al Stevens
03-10-2013, 08:10 AM
I've gotten a couple of these emails recently. A close look at the return email address shows that it's my friend's address plus an extra letter that they hope you won't notice.

I got a call from a kid pretending to be my grandson in Canada in trouble with the police and needing bail money. The tipoff was that he addressed me as Grandpa, which is not what my grandkids call me, and that my grandson was, at the time, stationed in Afghanistan.

shakeysix
03-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Think it's our age, Al? By the way, nice to see you--s6

Al Stevens
03-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Hi, s6. Still reading Show Me the Way and enjoying it.

benbradley
03-11-2013, 08:50 AM
What's the best way to protect your email from getting hacked? I try to change my passwords regularly. It hasn't happened yet (knock on wood) but I know it will eventually.
In short, practice the basics of "safe surfing:" Keep your virus scanners up to date and running. Be sure you can recognize phishing sites (which look just like legitimate email site login pages). I've heard of Yahoo's servers being hit by crackers who got into large numbers of accounts, so sometimes there's nothing you can do. I have a Yahoo email address tied to my "account" for Yahoo Groups email lists, but I never use that address.