Art and Commercial Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petros

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize if this is the wrong subforum to ask this question. I'm still new here!

My question is: Do most commercial publishers hire an artist to design the cover art and any illustrations for you?

For example, if I'm writing a fantasy novel, and I want maps included, would they be drawn by someone hired by the publisher?

I ask this because my father is a graphic designer and I would like him to contribute the cover art and pictures of any maps for my book. To ensure that I can use his art, do I have to self-publish?

Thanks

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Caveat: I've not worked with a publisher. So I'm not totally sure.

I can only speculate that this is a somewhat familiar request for an art department at a publishing house. If you decide to try it, I think you should approach it respectfully, and acknowledge the art director's expertise throughout the process.

Every situation is different, of course. But your publisher is investing in your work because they believe in it. Micro-managing throughout the process could get a bit iffy. You don't want to upset anyone who could make or break your sales. Be careful!

chris ell

Registered
Reaction score
It depends. Usually is the design team working for the publisher but not always. Brandon Sanderson, for example, has his maps drawn by a freelancer he likes to work with. Not sure if he pays the guy from his own pocket (I think so) or if the publisher hires the artist he recommends.

ETA...the cover is another matter. Your father would have to be outstanding for a publisher to consider using his work because, after all, they have to make money and there are a lot of other considerations (like marketing positioning) in choosing a cover.
I would not advise refusing a good deal from a publisher just to keep the image you want.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The problem is - to put it baldly - what if your dad's work isn't up to scratch? Or at least, what if the publisher doesn't feel it is? Then they have to find ways to persuade you to switch to a better illustrator, which is a tricky conversation. Normally a publisher will get a freelance illustrator to produce inside illustrations, and they certainly won't let you design the cover or commission the art for it.

I recommend your dad produces a smallish sample to accompany the submission, and make it clear that it's a suggestion, not a deal-breaking stumbling-block. If you absolutely must have his artwork, then self-publishing will give you that control, yes.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... my guess would be that for a publisher to allow that they'd:

a. have to really love you and value you highly
b. that your relative is really good. not just okay. but good.

And even then, a publisher might still have reservations.
Profits are at stake. And covers can matter a lot when it comes to that.

In any event, I sorta get the sense that you've already decided what you're going to do.
G'luck.

Petros

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! As Ken figured out, I'm really looking for another justification for pursuing self-publication over commercial publication. I think my dad's art is really great, but I don't know how he'd compare against the illustrators that commercial publishers use.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
He'd have to be a pro with experience (as in proven experience) in the area before they'd let him do the cover. And usually that kind of discussion isn't done at the submission level. It's done after the book is accepted and you're talking about contracts.

He'd have to compete with the other illustrators/graphic designers on a separate ticket. And then they might still pass him up for another artist. ('cause that's the life of a graphic artist)

When the cover is done by the author themselves, I've heard/read several discussions on it, but usually the contract is altered for it, which is why you need an agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.