29 ways NOT to submit to an agent

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Literary agent extraordinaire, Carole Blake, has written an article for Bang2Write in which she lists a few of the problems she often sees in submissions, and explains why they're problems.

There's an added bonus in the form of a letter from a disgruntled rejected writer, which might make you realise the standard of the slush pile.

The comments are good too, and Carole's taking part in the discussion.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haha! Very nice! I can see well-meaning but ill-informed "experts" advocating guerrilla (or gorilla) querying techniques.

More serious question about #7, and related to a misunderstanding I had in another thread. If the agent passes on project #1, does that mean she gets crossed off my list for project #2 unless she's stated I could send other work? I know it would be bad form to send an unsolicited query for project #2 the next day, but I can't believe a "no" once means "no not ever."

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Haha! Very nice! I can see well-meaning but ill-informed "experts" advocating guerrilla (or gorilla) querying techniques.

Funny you should say that.

When I was still a full-time editor I once received a banana in the post. A few days later, I received a photo of a gorilla from the same person.

When their ms arrived a few days after that, I was already primed to reject it.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
More serious question about #7, and related to a misunderstanding I had in another thread. If the agent passes on project #1, does that mean she gets crossed off my list for project #2 unless she's stated I could send other work? I know it would be bad form to send an unsolicited query for project #2 the next day, but I can't believe a "no" once means "no not ever."

I read it as "don't send the query letter again for the same project", not "don't every query me again." I could be wrong with that interpretation, though.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Funny you should say that.

When I was still a full-time editor I once received a banana in the post. A few days later, I received a photo of a gorilla from the same person.

When their ms arrived a few days after that, I was already primed to reject it.

Good thing they gave you warning. Hate to have a bad query take you by surprise.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure #7 just means not to send the same project more than once. After all, if we couldn't query the same agents on our next project, those of us who query widely would be completely screwed because we already queried every reputable agent in our genre on our last book.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure #7 just means not to send the same project more than once. After all, if we couldn't query the same agents on our next project, those of us who query widely would be completely screwed because we already queried every reputable agent in our genre on our last book.

I figured so. That would shorten my list CONSIDERABLY.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I'd add to that list, "Don't query until you've run your QL through the gauntlet, aka QLH." Doing so would probably make most (if not all) of those 'don'ts' moot.

Heck, maybe that s/b #1. :)

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Literary agent extraordinaire, Carole Blake, has written an article for Bang2Write in which she lists a few of the problems she often sees in submissions, and explains why they're problems.

There's an added bonus in the form of a letter from a disgruntled rejected writer, which might make you realise the standard of the slush pile.

The comments are good too, and Carole's taking part in the discussion.

It's all common sense. I can't even believe anyone would do the things she says not to do, but they must. :)

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this list, Old Hack. I just can't comprehend some people!

Quantum1019

Registered
Reaction score
It's all common sense. I can't even believe anyone would do the things she says not to do, but they must. :)

Agreed. It would never occur to me to do any of those things. Writing/ publishing is a business. I wonder what the total amount of time is per year that agents waste dealing with childish stunts and silly shenanigans when they could be evaluating serious queries from writers who know how to act like adults.

Expat-hack

Too much lost generation as a kid!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just surprised that would-be-clients could find her at parties. I'm not invited to parties where there are literary agents in attendance. (Probably a good thing!)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just surprised that would-be-clients could find her at parties. I'm not invited to parties where there are literary agents in attendance. (Probably a good thing!)

Carole is a party animal. And many of the parties she goes to are thrown by writers' organisations like the RNA, which has parties full of editors, agents and publishers.

If there's a good writers' organisation or conference where you live, which focuses on the genre in which you write, it will almost certainly be worth joining, and attending some of the functions.

Along with some of the commenters, I thought the under-the-bathroom-stall-door was urban legend...oh dear.

Sadly it's not. If you look for me in the comments-thread to the article I linked to, you'll see my own version of that story.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
I'd add to that list, "Don't query until you've run your QL through the gauntlet, aka QLH." Doing so would probably make most (if not all) of those 'don'ts' moot.

Heck, maybe that s/b #1. :)

This is probably the best advice. (Or if you don't submit to QLH, at least have someone who doesn't know you critique it.) You can follow every generic, common sense rule on querying and still not get anywhere if your query isn't enticing.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably the best advice. (Or if you don't submit to QLH, at least have someone who doesn't know you critique it.) You can follow every generic, common sense rule on querying and still not get anywhere if your query isn't enticing.

Not to mention QLH often points out weaknesses in the MS that weren't noticed by the author or betas.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
27. Do NOT slip your synopsis under the door of the ladies loo I am occupying. It happened. Once. I suspect that woman will never do it again.

... wonder what Carole did? :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You could always ask her in the comments-thread following her article.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

The language pattern and terminology used in this letter marks it out as someone from my neck of the woods. Oh the shame.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... whatever it was it was justified.
What was that writer thinking?

Not sure if I'll post the question.
Kinda shy about that sort of stuff.
But I will check out more of the site.

Good tips in the linked to one here.

(That's one possiblity, Axordil :-D