Not open for further replies.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I'm preparing a bibliography of a writer, mainly for my own use, though I suppose publication at some point is a possibility. I've been studying prior bibliographies for this writer, and for other writers. They all seem to concentrate on when something was published, not when it was written. Possibly that's the definition of bibliography. I suspect that's because a published book or article can be tied to an exact publication date, whereas when something was written is less exact.

What I want to do is concentrate on when the writer wrote something, not down to the exact day but year and possibly quarter of the year. Something might have been written decades before it was published, including posthumous, never before published works. I want to make a comprehensive, chronological listing.

Is there a different name for this type of "bibliography"? If so I can't seem to find it. I suppose I could go with "The Writings of ——" or "The Works of ——". But if there is a proper term for this I'd rather use the proper term.

Best Regards,
NDG

drdave

wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Shot in the dark, but I found the following quote with a "bibliography types" query on Google:

"A textual bibliography compares the published work to the author's original manuscript."

Status
Not open for further replies.