Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindness

Back From My Self-Imposed Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boyvsworld.blogspot.com
I was doing some digging around on my old computer and found a bunch of stories I'd written ages ago. I had no clue I'd written so much. I was surprised that I'd forgotten these stories so thoroughly (lol).

I read through them again and they're actually pretty interesting, but I'll need to fix the grammar, cut out/more seamlessly integrate the infodumps (in one of them, a mentor spends two Word pages explaining the "magic" system to the MC *shiver*), and make some motivations more clear.

Still, I'm a bit anxious about the premises, which I think are pretty childish. I was a sixteen year old writing for teens on fictionpress.

One of the stories is about another sixteen year old who puts on a magical gauntlet that won't come off and the entire thing has a very comic book-ish feel. The villains are a group of ghost-like sorcerers who eat souls and the boy's gauntlet gives him super strength and the ability to wound them. After one of them sucks out the soul of his baby sister (his parents are already dead and he's very protective of her), he sets out to track them down and beats them one by one a-la Kill Bill style. I won't go into how he gets the gauntlet, but that's the general gist of things. It's equal parts dark and funny but what you see is what you get; it's not very deep.

Stuff like that. I can imagine kids liking it but I figure an editor will probably just roll their eyes, haha. The rest are a bit like this too. Should I bother cleaning them up and sending them out or should I just focus on something else?

+how do you tell if a story is too childish for publication or not?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
If you can imagine kids liking it, why not pitch it to a YA/Middle Grade publisher/agent? Not all books are for grown-ups, y'know.

Kindness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you can imagine kids liking it, why not pitch it to a YA/Middle Grade publisher/agent? Not all books are for grown-ups, y'know.

Do you think it could work?

I get the feeling that most stuff aimed at teens requires a certain level of sophistication. I'm not saying all of it does but it almost feels like a long shot.

A lot of the YA out now is pretty much adult stuff with YA themes, and these stories I've written are a little too dark for MG. There might be a bit too much death/unfariness in them xD

So in some ways they're a bit of a lower-end MG/upper-end YA hybrid full of strange ideas :S

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of those cases where you may not know what you have until you start to fix them up. Everyone loves humor, even dark humor sells. Whether it works often depends on how well it is done.

You could pick the best of the bunch and try it. Post for critiques and see what folks think then.

The one you describe does not sound like a middle grade. The themes are YA. No question there.

Kindness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The one you describe does not sound like a middle grade. The themes are YA. No question there.

Ah, okay. Thanks! I'll fix up the first chapter or two and see if people in SYW think it's worth pursuing. If they don't hate it then I'll go for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.