Pre-orders/amazon ranking?

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly sure where to put this thread! I was wondering when pre-orders show up on your sales ranking-does nielsen add in all the pre-sales after the books release?

Also, what is the avg ranking for a new book before it's release. Just curious if this ranking is in any way affected by pre-sales.

Or is the pre-sales ranking tied to the number of books in your particular genre? Author central says pre-sales are not reported but I was wondering. thanks for any help understanding how this works!

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Nielsen? How are they involved?

If Author central says pre-sales don't count, I'd assume that's right. And there IS no ranking for a book before it's released - they only get put in the rankings when at least one book has sold.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon has a sales ranking from the moment your book goes on sale. They collect data every hour and give you a daily average, charted on a graph.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Amazon has a sales ranking from the moment your book goes on sale. They collect data every hour and give you a daily average, charted on a graph.

How do they chart it if it hasn't sold anything yet?

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Pre-sales do show up in the number shown beside your book in Author Central. I had nielsen bookscan sales confused with bestseller ranking--apparently pre-sales show up in the best seller ranking even before the book is released. Here is their answer below.

"Once your book is released and shipped to customers, BookScan sales data will be recorded and will appear in your Author Central account under the Sales Info tab. Meanwhile, your publisher may be able to provide the number of pre-orders.

Also, the Bestsellers Rank is calculated differently from sales information. Bestsellers Rank will be updated when a customer places an order. It is not necessary for the order to be shipped. As your book is available for pre-order, when customers place a pre-order the Bestsellers Rank will be updated. For this reason the Bestsellers Rank is appearing for your product."