PDA

View Full Version : Latin Assist, please

ElaineA
03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Hello AW Linguists! I'm looking for a little help with Latin. Imperial Roman times (79AD). I'd really like for my FMC to be referred to as the equivalent of 'my Lady.' I know that 'domina' is the usual word I've seen in novels but that translates to something more like 'madame.' I'm looking for a word that would indicate a higher status--nobility, not empress. Was there such a word? (BTW, I am writing in English and I will refer to her as my lady most of the time, but--ACK, it's too hard to explain. Suffice it to say I need to use a few Latin words and phrases in the story.)

Sarpedon
03-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Romans of the gentry were called 'eques,' literally horseman. This was the equivalent of a knight. I don't know what the feminine is, or even if there is one.

I would think that for a true noble, one of senatorial rank, domina would be correct.

King Neptune
03-04-2013, 10:53 PM
If you will be calling her "my lady' in English, then go with "Domina". In addition to my opinion, google translate gives Domina mea as the ttranslation for my lady.

ElaineA
03-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Thanks both of you, Sarpedon and King Neptune. DANG, I already have a different lady of the house who's called domina. I was hoping there was something higher up...kk, back to the drawing board.

King Neptune
03-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Thanks both of you, Sarpedon and King Neptune. DANG, I already have a different lady of the house who's called domina. I was hoping there was something higher up...kk, back to the drawing board.

Nothing higher up until you get to royalty, but there were plenty lower down. You could use domina with a name: Domina Julia.