PDA

View Full Version : Insider info into the Catholic Church needed.

GailD
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi there,

I'm just beginning the research for my second novel and would be very grateful for 'inside' information about the Catholic church. Specifically, the processes for becoming a nun and a priest and how the hierarchy within the church is structured. Also, using the right terminology, in the correct context, is very important to me.

I have been researching on the internet and found quite a lot of information - however, I'm also looking people with personal experience of this. Were you, or are you still, a priest or a nun? Do you know anyone who is, and who may be willing to answer what may become a whole lot of questions?

My novel will, in no way, denigrate the Catholic church or be disrespectful of those who worship there.

Thanks,
:)
Gail

WriteKnight
03-04-2013, 05:23 PM
You're going to want to set the time period. Someone who was ordained fifty years ago, is going to have a different experience than someone who was ordained or took orders last year.

Roger J Carlson
03-04-2013, 05:36 PM
You might want to ask in the Christian Forum. The moderator of that forum is an ex-nun.

Calla Lily
03-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Someone call me? :D

Cradle Catholic. Franciscan nun from 1979-1983. Still have friends "on the inside". Let me know if I can help.

Roger J Carlson
03-04-2013, 05:53 PM
While you're at it, GailD, you should buy Lily's three books (in her sig). Not only are they whopping, good-read mysteries, they show a lot of the "inside".

Note to Lily: Always plug your books. :D

Calla Lily
03-04-2013, 06:05 PM
*slips Roger the agreed-upon promo fee*

:D

GailD
03-05-2013, 03:06 PM
This is great! Thank you so much! I'll be contacting you by rep and PM.

ETA: I just bought the kindle version of Force of Habit. (Gotta start at the beginning.)

Calla Lily
03-05-2013, 05:09 PM
:e2flowers Thank you for buying FoH!