Classification Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdave

wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. Eighty percent of my current project is autobiographical. A memoir. However my plan is for the triumphant finale I fantasized about and set out to accomplish but, alas, never did. One that would redeem a tragic, and at times appalling, first half for readers. And for myself as well. Let's face it, we're all really writing for ourselves. My question is this: Do you suppose such a work belongs in the Fantasy genre? It simply does not fit nicely in any one category. Hell, I can't even decide where to post this thread. :Shrug:

drdave

wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Er... does it have Fantasy elements?

You mean whimsical characters, like "Where the Wild Things Are"? No. I mentioned Fantasy only because I fantasized about devising a way to transcend an insurmountable barrier confronting me. See? Outside of Fiction and Nonfiction I know nothing about genre classification. But I think you just helped me rule out Fantasy. Thanks, Will.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
You mean whimsical characters, like "Where the Wild Things Are"? No. I mentioned Fantasy only because I fantasized about devising a way to transcend an insurmountable barrier confronting me. See? Outside of Fiction and Nonfiction I know nothing about genre classification. But I think you just helped me rule out Fantasy. Thanks, Will.

Are you writing a children's picture book? I think not.

I mean Fantasy as in, dragons, magic, alternative worlds, changing physics against common beliefs, etc.
That's Fantasy.

Fiction means not factual. If 20% of your story did not happen to you, then that part of it is fiction.

I just need to ask: What is this 20%? What you wish to happen in your life? Dream fulfillment?

If you have a non-fiction book with events that did not happen, is it really facts?

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
One could make an argument that even the most honest memoir is fiction, but that's not how they shelve books or run search engines. :)

A memoir with a conclusion that does not coincide with any real event is fiction. A memoir allows changing of names, telescoping of events, and other such means of blunting the truth, but raw fabrication of the contrafactual pushes it over the edge.

If a crime is involved, it's crime fiction. If a mystery is involved, it's mystery fiction. If a ray gun is involved, it's science fiction. Etcetera. I oversimplify for the sake of emphasis, obviously, but the fiction genre of such a work depends on the content of the story, while the classification as fiction or non-fiction comes from whether or not it's recognizable as a true story.

Does that make sense?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Your almost-memoir is a wish-fulfilment fantasy.

What's confusing the issue is that while "fantasy" might classify your book accurately, "fantasy" is NOT the correct genre. If you ever try to get the book published, it would be a mistake to ever refer to it as fantasy, since that is, as WillSauger said, the genre for people who like wizards and werewolves.

What you've written is fiction.

I think it's also fiction that could get you into legal trouble, if it's ever published, if there happens to be any real people depicted in it that are likely to recognize themselves and the situations (especially if you make them look bad in your better-than-life ending.)

If you're never going to publish this book--i.e. if you wrote it just for catharsis--then don't worry about that. Also don't worry too much about how to classify the book, if that's the case. It's simply your book, and it is what it is.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If the ending isn't real, you're writing fiction, not a memoir.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I had a friend who did that and it was published as fiction. Just general fiction.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Status
Not open for further replies.