• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Blocked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

calling33

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not sure this qualifies as writers block per se but I just seem to have lost all my motivation. It feels like work has totally taken over my life recently and it's leaving me with no energy for anything else. I've just started a new project born out of two writing prompts and also trying to start editing my completed first draft but I can't even convince myself to read through the first draft to edit it or pick up a pen and paper to carry on the new story.

I find I'm filled with a heap of self-doubt about how good my new idea is (sci fi mixed with fantasy) and every time I think about picking up my first draft ms to go over it, I actively don't want to do it. I don't want to be all whingy but it's been like this for a few months now and I'm getting fed up with it to the point where I don't even feel like a real writer anymore.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this but I really needed to vent.

Thanks for reading :)

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Choose one of those two tasks. Either start writing the new story or work on editing the existing one. It sounds like you could be too busy with work to have the energy to spare for two separate writing projects.

Or there's a third option - why not do some planning for one of them instead? Knowing where you're going could be the ideal way to unstick yourself.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Yup. You and I constantly have the same problem- worrying that your work is bad & being afraid to prove it to yourself by actually looking at it... or something to that effect.

It really bothers me because I'm a subconscious person & can pick up on things without really knowing why or what the source is, so if I think something is wrong that's because there usually is. Still, you're never going to figure out what's wrong & how to fix it, or even if there is anything wrong until you force yourself past that & look. Sometimes you find out that you're just being paranoid.

calling33

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I should clarify that I mean my paid job work has taken over my life. Too much overtime and stress and overwork.

Thanks for the comments guys.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I understand. In fact, my day job will be sucking up my entire weekend. I write when I'm tired and stressed because I will only be more stressed out if I don't. I get up early in the morning and write. And that helps me get through the day since I started the day off doing something that makes me happy. I'm not sure how sustainable my model is, but it's working for now.

If you love your idea, it's worth working on. Don't think about whether other people will like it or not. Don't worry about whether or not it will appeal to the masses. If you love it, there's a good chance someone else will, too.

If it helps, I'm currently plotting out the details to a fantasy story with sci-fi elements. And I know someone who just got signed with Simon & Schuster who has a fantastical story with sci-fi elements.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure your idea's better than you think. Science fiction mixed with fantasy is cool. You get the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.