The Virginian

Arislan

Registered
Reaction score
So I've just received my Kindle Fire HD and I'm completely in love with it. The Comicat app lets me read comics perfectly on it.

It's time to buy an actual book.

I'll be traveling tonight for about 36 hours. So I have on me the paperback copies of Shane and The Ox-Bow Incident. For the Kindle, I think my first purchase should be Owen Wister's The Virginian. Any thoughts on this choice or any other westerns worth taking on this long ride?

Ride 'em in, rawhide!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You will probably be surprised by the book if you ever watched the old Virginian TV show.

Monte Walsh
(also written Jack Schaefer) is old favorite of mine.

Arislan

Registered
Reaction score
This is weird, but...when I made this post earlier was debating whether to spend the $5 for the Kindle version because that was what appeared earlier.

But when I searched for it just now, that version was gone and instead there were a bunch of different ones, including, I kid you not, a free version!

Just got The Virginian for free. I'll look for Riders of the Purple Sage next.

Okay they have it. But, it's about Mormonism?? What?? http://www.amazon.com/review/RZ0JZZXUJBPE2/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RZ0JZZXUJBPE2

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Sherlock Holmes debut story was a Western (no kidding!). Mormonism is one of the off-beat topics of Westerns. Big Love (the TV series) is sort of a modern Mormon Western. In one of Peter Haining's collection of penny dreadful stories there's an excerpt from some old story about Mormons, renegades & British exiles.

If you've got a Dollar General in your area, you can find a lot of paperback Westerns for a dollar fifty (I think it's remaindered Dorchester books). A lot of them are by pulp-era authors, Max Brand & Zane Grey. There are also a lot of lesser-known writers. Dane Coolidge, Walt Coburn, Frank Bonham & Giff Cheshire have turned out to be great discoveries. Johnny Boggs is a modern writer who is on a par with the good old stuff.

I have to confess, I've never read the Virginian. When I go looking for older Westerns I tend to focus on the pulps. There's tons of pulp stories on Pulpgen. Please give us your review of The Virginian when you've read it!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto what Alleycat said about the old 1960s TV series, which had about as much relation to the classic novel as a grasshopper has to a giant squid. But The Virginian, by Owen Wister, is certainly one of the seminal Western novels. It really represents the archetype of the silent, strong Western hero, portrayed in movies not so much by John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, as by Gary Cooper.

I had a bit of a struggle with it, when I read it some years ago. Not quite sure why.

But it was a hugely influential and ground-breaking novel.

caw

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of The Virginian TV show . . .

I remembered it as one of my favorite TV westerns (especially the early episodes with Lee J. Cobb). It was a long time before they put out a DVD of the compete series. I got the set, and while I enjoyed several episodes, it no longer really held my interest like it once did. I think Stephen King is at least partially right about some old movies and TV shows not seeming real to a viewer any more (he used Bonanza and Cat People as examples). Now when I watch The Virginian it just screams "filmed on the back lot" (although, as I recall, the actually location was a film ranch near LA--I remember James Drury saying he rode his horse from his house to the film ranch some mornings). Those cowboys never got very dirty either.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you've got a Dollar General in your area, you can find a lot of paperback Westerns for a dollar fifty (I think it's remaindered Dorchester books).

My local library has an honor system for old westerns and other mass market paperbacks. They don't even check them out; their comment to me one time was, "We prefer that you bring them back, but we don't really care whether you do or not."

Last edited:

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
My local library has an honest system for old westerns and other mass market paperbacks. They don't even check them out; their comment to me one time was, "We prefer that you bring them back, but we don't really care whether you do or not."

I've seen that in other places, but not Austin (they have a periodic sales of donated books or books purged from the catalog). I think a lot of libraries consider old mass-market paperbacks to be more trouble than they are worth.

Veering back to e-books, I recall that Leisure offered a lot (if not all) their catalog of Westerns via NetLibrary. It's a pain to use NetLibrary's interface though. Now I'm seeing more e-books available as time-limited library downloads. I don't know if Leisure is doing that, but there may be more out there for Western-reading Kindle users.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Veering back to e-books, I recall that Leisure offered a lot (if not all) their catalog of Westerns via NetLibrary. It's a pain to use NetLibrary's interface though. Now I'm seeing more e-books available as time-limited library downloads. I don't know if Leisure is doing that, but there may be more out there for Western-reading Kindle users.

My library uses both NetLibrary and Overdrive. I much prefer Overdrive (once set up, downloads are a snap--either audio books or e-books). They might actually be getting away from NetLibrary.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I know I am coming to this discussion late...but I can't help myself...The Virginian is one of my favorite books. It's a classic for a reason. It's awesome!

Did you read it yet? How did you like it?

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I have yet to read The Virginian! Heard great things about it. I put it on my Summer reading list.