Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

POC are tragically underrepresented in my slush pile. I am in charge of a small Fantasy magazine from White Cat Publications.

I'm especially interested in buying fiction that challenges, rethinks, or discards completely the Euro-centric (for a polite word) viewpoint that so often dominates Fantasy.

For issue one, I have about 20 days to fill a 10,000-word gap in my TOC. I have enough reprints and prefer original material. I prefer to fill this gap with several smaller works--please submit stories about 5,000 words or fewer. I can offer 3 cents per word, up to 5,000 words 45 days after publication, and want first serial rights.

[email protected]

If responding to this post, please mention it in the subject of your e-mail so that I zero in on your submission.

Thank you for your time,

Bart

ETA:
Don't worry about formatting. Common sense rules the day.

ETA x 2:
I have quite a bit of material about fairies for issue 1; material using fairies in some fashion has a better-than-normal shot at making issue 1, but this is absolutely not a requirement.

Last edited:

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
My PoC fiction is all out at other magazines right now.

I have a Chinese-based story I'm working through (with support from Chinese friends for the final check) If I ever get the rest of the plot cogent, then I'll consider submitting.

I see there is a diversity publishers imprint too out of your parent company. Out of curiosity, is that genre specific? I have a friend looking for places to submit to, but she doesn't do spec fic.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Rachel -- that sounds interesting. I'm a huge fan of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio--I'm definitely a market for Chinese cultural stories.

I haven't met the editor for the diversity imprint yet, so I'm not sure what genres she prefers, if any. If the guidelines don't exclude it in some fashion, it's probably Kosher. =)

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! My fantasy always ends up very dark making it more appropriate for the Nightfall imprint I guess...

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! My fantasy always ends up very dark making it more appropriate for the Nightfall imprint I guess...

Heh. That happens. Sorry! Which story was yours?

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't sent anything to WCP yet (all tied up) but will eventually! In fact, I'll see if I can come up with some lighter fantasy within the next 2 weeks for your imprint ;).

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't sent anything to WCP yet (all tied up) but will eventually! In fact, I'll see if I can come up with some lighter fantasy within the next 2 weeks for your imprint ;).

I publish fantasy and dark fantasy. It's only when the story is completely horror, or too dark, that I send it to Night Fall.

I'd encourage you to send it to both imprints, if it's both horror and fantasy in some respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.