PDA

View Full Version : 3 cents per word call for POC fantasy

Bartholomew
03-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Hey everyone,

POC are tragically underrepresented in my slush pile. I am in charge of a small Fantasy magazine from White Cat Publications.

I'm especially interested in buying fiction that challenges, rethinks, or discards completely the Euro-centric (for a polite word) viewpoint that so often dominates Fantasy.

For issue one, I have about 20 days to fill a 10,000-word gap in my TOC. I have enough reprints and prefer original material. I prefer to fill this gap with several smaller works--please submit stories about 5,000 words or fewer. I can offer 3 cents per word, up to 5,000 words 45 days after publication, and want first serial rights.

conjuringsmagsubs@whitecatpublications.com

If responding to this post, please mention it in the subject of your e-mail so that I zero in on your submission.

Thank you for your time,

Bart

ETA:
Don't worry about formatting. Common sense rules the day.

ETA x 2:
I have quite a bit of material about fairies for issue 1; material using fairies in some fashion has a better-than-normal shot at making issue 1, but this is absolutely not a requirement.

Rachel Udin
03-01-2013, 06:35 AM
My PoC fiction is all out at other magazines right now.

I have a Chinese-based story I'm working through (with support from Chinese friends for the final check) If I ever get the rest of the plot cogent, then I'll consider submitting.

I see there is a diversity publishers imprint too out of your parent company. Out of curiosity, is that genre specific? I have a friend looking for places to submit to, but she doesn't do spec fic.

Bartholomew
03-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Rachel -- that sounds interesting. I'm a huge fan of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio--I'm definitely a market for Chinese cultural stories.

I haven't met the editor for the diversity imprint yet, so I'm not sure what genres she prefers, if any. If the guidelines don't exclude it in some fashion, it's probably Kosher. =)

Tienci
03-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Gah! My fantasy always ends up very dark making it more appropriate for the Nightfall imprint I guess...

Bartholomew
03-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Gah! My fantasy always ends up very dark making it more appropriate for the Nightfall imprint I guess...

Heh. That happens. Sorry! Which story was yours?

Tienci
03-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Haven't sent anything to WCP yet (all tied up) but will eventually! In fact, I'll see if I can come up with some lighter fantasy within the next 2 weeks for your imprint ;).

Bartholomew
03-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Haven't sent anything to WCP yet (all tied up) but will eventually! In fact, I'll see if I can come up with some lighter fantasy within the next 2 weeks for your imprint ;).

I publish fantasy and dark fantasy. It's only when the story is completely horror, or too dark, that I send it to Night Fall.

I'd encourage you to send it to both imprints, if it's both horror and fantasy in some respect.

Rachel Udin
03-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Wondering about your policy on multiple submissions... it's not on the guidelines page.

Bartholomew
03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Wondering about your policy on multiple submissions... it's not on the guidelines page.

Go for it. :-)