PDA

View Full Version : Drowning victims

Troyen
02-28-2013, 12:50 AM
I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what a person would look like just after being pulled out of the water (salt water if that makes a difference) when they have drowned. Would they look blue? Or would they look pretty normal?

sheadakota
02-28-2013, 12:54 AM
How long after they've drowned are you talking about?

Troyen
02-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Right after. Just when the lifeguard is giving up CPR.

benbenberi
02-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Why is the lifeguard giving up CPR? Once it's started, even if it doesn't seem to be working it's supposed to be continued until an MD can pronounce the person dead -- which generally means till after the ambulance reaches the ER. A lifeguard who starts CPR & then stops (other than handing it off to a paramedic) is setting themselves (& their employer) up for potential serious legal headaches.

Troyen
02-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Why is the lifeguard giving up CPR? Once it's started, even if it doesn't seem to be working it's supposed to be continued until an MD can pronounce the person dead -- which generally means till after the ambulance reaches the ER. A lifeguard who starts CPR & then stops (other than handing it off to a paramedic) is setting themselves (& their employer) up for potential serious legal headaches.

Yes, you're right. I wasn't clear enough. This would be right as the paramedics are ariving and the lifegaurd is moving out of the way.

electroweakstar
02-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Wet? I mean, they'd look fairly normal, besides, you know, limp and dead. People who have been in the water for a long time take on water and swell up, but someone who just drowned? If the water is pretty cold, their lips may be blue-tinted (depending on skin tone, etc.)

jclarkdawe
02-28-2013, 02:38 AM
Assuming less then half an hour in the water, and depending upon water temperature, lips and skin may be bluish, surf may have caused abrasions against sand or rocks, limp, skin cool to cold to the touch. A watery mix might be leaking out of their mouth, depending upon how much water they swallowed. Stomach may be a bit bloated, again depending upon how much water they swallowed. They may have a sloshing sound when moved (very slight). Breathe will be very salty smelling. Skin will dry somewhat quickly from the salt (and needs to be dried before a defib is put on them). Fingers and toes may have puckered skin. Pupils will probably be fixed and dilated. May have a look of panic. Again, depending upon surf conditions, bathing suit might have come off (you don't need to remove a bikini top to do CPR).

With all that said, seat the person in a chair at the clam shack and most people won't even notice him or her.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Troyen
02-28-2013, 02:56 AM
jclarkdawe, thanks. This is helpful, though probably more detail than I will need. It will be the observations of a person who is in shock because the drowning victims are her family. So she would only notice so much. But I wanted to be acurate.

Miz Erie
02-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Drowning victims generally have a pink froth coming out of their nose and mouths. The froth can sometimes have a small bit of vomit in it. (As a person drowns, there is a pattern of inhale-vomit-exhale while under the water, and the person can aspirate the vomit.)

Dandroid
02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Also look into mammalian diving reflex...and the differences between fresh water drowning and salt water drowning...dry vs wet