welsh dark fae

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a name for dark fae in welsh mythology? I found the fair folk - y tylwyth teg - but I can't find anything on dark fae. Do they have a name? I know they aren't classified like the seelie and unseelie but was hoping to have some distinction between the "good" and "bad" fairies

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
AFAIK, the distinction between 'good' and 'bad' Welsh Fae is mostly how they're feeling at the time. Also, in Wales stories typically end badly for everyone...

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a name for dark fae in welsh mythology? I found the fair folk - y tylwyth teg - but I can't find anything on dark fae. Do they have a name? I know they aren't classified like the seelie and unseelie but was hoping to have some distinction between the "good" and "bad" fairies
I can't give you any references at the moment to back this up but I'm pretty sure that in many cases, "Fair folk" was a euphemism in case one of the "fair folk" was actually hovering about and there was a danger of being overheard by them.

I suspect that there might not be a word for dark fae in Welsh mythology because it's like having a word for wet rain.

Medievalist will know.

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
Tylwyth Teg refers to the more malicious of the faerie clans; the kinder fae were called Gwragged Anwn, analogous to the Seelie of Scottish mythology. You've got the right name if you want to talk about the bad, kid-stealing fae.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Tylwyth Teg refers to the more malicious of the faerie clans; the kinder fae were called Gwragged Anwn, analogous to the Seelie of Scottish mythology. You've got the right name if you want to talk about the bad, kid-stealing fae.

It's actually supposedly Gwragedd Annwn.

I'd advise making a distinction between Welsh folklore, Victorian nonsense, and localised traditions.

Deleted member 42

Note that Annwn or Anwfn (medieval Welsh orthography) is the Welsh under-/other world. Note that that is not necessarily the land of the dead, though the dead may be found there, so can otherworld residents.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember hearing/reading any Welsh fairy stories with a happy ending. I have to admit to feeling suspicious of 'nice' fairies in the way I feel suspicious of 'nice' vampires.

Deleted member 42

I don't remember hearing/reading any Welsh fairy stories with a happy ending. I have to admit to feeling suspicious of 'nice' fairies in the way I feel suspicious of 'nice' vampires.

It rather depends on how one defines fairy.

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
It's actually supposedly Gwragedd Annwn.

I'd advise making a distinction between Welsh folklore, Victorian nonsense, and localised traditions.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Welsh folklore is a mythology that I'm less clear on than most, so my sources were probably influenced by the aforementioned Victorian nonsense.

Deleted member 42

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Welsh folklore is a mythology that I'm less clear on than most, so my sources were probably influenced by the aforementioned Victorian nonsense.

It's so very complicated that I go to great lengths to avoid using the term fairy for anything that isn't English/Middle English.

And even then, there are problems.

g\Gwragedd is a plural genitive meaning "women/wives";

Annwn/ Annwfn is the Welsh otherworld. Etymologyically, it's something like "other world': to wit

Games Fairies Play said:
R. I. Thomson glosses Annwfn as An Dwuyn “fearfully deep”; “the not (this) world” (PPD p. 25–26 n. 44). Patrick Sims-Williams summarizes the possible etymologies for Annwfn as follows:

Patrick Sims-Williams said:
The term annwfn was doubtless understood as intensive an- plus dwfn ‘deep’ (cf anoddyn ‘abyss’ <an- + *wo- ‘under’ + dwfn), and this may indeed be the correct etymology, as Eric Hamp has noted. . . . Ifor Williams . . . suggested that the second element might be dwfn ‘world’(cf. Gaulish dubno-, dumno-) . . . With dwfn ‘world’ as the second element, the first could be an- < *n- ‘not’, hence ‘Not-World’ (Sims-Williams 1990, 62)

It is important to note that Annwfn is very much a different world; though it appears disconcertingly easy to pass from Wales into Annwfn, even crossing without being aware of it, it is a separate world, with its own kingdoms, rulers, peoples, and customs.