Van (UK petrol consumption question)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Got a question about petrol consumption which, as I know nothing about vehicles or petrol, I'm hoping someone can answer.

I've got a van travelling about 300 miles. Say it's the same sort of vehicle a White Van Man would use, how often would my characters have to fill up on petrol? And how much would it cost to fill it completely?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
OH reckons you wouldn't need much more than one full tank on a Ford Transit. And it would be diesel rather than petrol.

Diesel averages out at around £1.40 per litre. And the Transit has an 80 litre tank so you're looking at a lot of dosh!

Here's a link on regional fuel prices by the AA

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
For a petrol van, you might be looking at around 25mpg or slightly more (depending how you drive it). A diesel is more economical - perhaps up to around 35mpg. The cost for a gallon is around £6.30 (petrol) - £6.60 (diesel). The tank is easily big enough to do the journey in one go.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
And that price per gallon is why it's now sold in litres. Much less scary.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that and the All Must Be Metric directive.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
For a white-man-van transit you are looking at about £120-150 to fill it depending on whether it's petrol or diesel.

How far you get depends on several things - is it loaded or empty? is it petrol or diesel? Are they going on continuous journey or stopping and starting? hold old is the van?

For example - a 20 year old petrol van unladen will probably go about 50 miles on 8 litres (approx 2 gallons) to go 300 miles non stop you would be looking at about about half - three quarters of a tank of petrol (45-60 litres) assuming a non stop, mostly motorway journey.

More modern vans, diesel, 2 years old, unladen you'll get maybe double that.

Laden is a different story altogether.

When we moved house my had borrowed a large transit. He drove it unladen 25 miles, and then filled withe a good ton / ton and a half of furniture for another 25 miles and it cost about £25 in diesel.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
For a white-man-van transit you are looking at about £120-150 to fill it depending on whether it's petrol or diesel.

How far you get depends on several things - is it loaded or empty? is it petrol or diesel? Are they going on continuous journey or stopping and starting? hold old is the van?

It's early days in the story at the moment, but I imagine a couple of stops over a 300 odd mile journey. Along with the driver, there are three others in the van. No furniture or anything heavy. Money for petrol/diesel isn't an issue and the van is probably a few years old.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what make of van you are using in your story, but all the vans I've driven (one's similar to the Ford Transit) only have the driver's seat and two passenger seats next to them.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I have no idea what make of van you are using in your story, but all the vans I've driven (one's similar to the Ford Transit) only have the driver's seat and two passenger seats next to them.

The others are in the back - two captors and one prisoner.

It's a horror story. :evil

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Seun.

I feel sick just thinking how ghastly and uncomfortable it would be to travel 150 miles in the back of a white van either as captor or captive unless maybe there's an easy chair or a couple of mattresses in there.

Knowing you, I doubt there's any creature comforts around at all- just creatures. :)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Good luck, Seun.

I feel sick just thinking how ghastly and uncomfortable it would be to travel 150 miles in the back of a white van either as captor or captive unless maybe there's an easy chair or a couple of mattresses in there.

Mattresses? Bah. I laugh at such comfort. ;)

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Good luck, Seun.

Knowing you, I doubt there's any creature comforts around at all- just creatures. :)

This is pretty much exactly how my brother and I used to travel on holidays. Dad, Mum, and the dog got the seats in the front cabin - my brother & I sat with the luggage in the back.

Yeah, not comfortable.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
This is pretty much exactly how my brother and I used to travel on holidays. Dad, Mum, and the dog got the seats in the front cabin - my brother & I sat with the luggage in the back.

Yeah, not comfortable.

Just be glad you're not in one of my books. It gets worse.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
We used to have an old Hillman estate and the favourite place for the kids was lying down in the back. No seats, no seat-belts...you'd be pilloried today.