PDA

View Full Version : Releasing an Audio Book before publishing the Written Version

Shaley
02-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi All
I am seriously thinking of turning my MS into an Audio Book that I will self publish. At the same time I plan to send out all my Query letters to Agents as well as approach Publishers who will acccept an Unsolicited MS.
Does anyone have any advice about what is the best way to go about this and if there would be any problems with the MS being already published as an Audio?

veinglory
02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
I would say that exploiting any rights narrows your options for future third-party publication. It leaves less of the work available for them to exploit. It also increases the chance that the work is frozen in a finished state unsatisfactory to them (e.g. they might want edits, changes in tone or presentation, to present it in another genre category etc).

Shaley
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Just wondering Why this was moved and where was it moved to ?? I cant find the new place.

I also don't understand what you mean Veinglory by exploiting a third party. As far as I can work out there would only be two parties if I self Publish my Audio book. The second party would be the potential Publishers who once they offer me a contract can edit the book with my input as well to suit the genre

Old Hack
02-27-2013, 02:02 AM
Just wondering Why this was moved and where was it moved to ?? I cant find the new place.

And yet you've managed to comment here. That's a bit Alice In Wonderland, isn't it?

I also don't understand what you mean Veinglory by exploiting a third party. As far as I can work out there would only be two parties if I self Publish my Audio book. The second party would be the potential Publishers who once they offer me a contract can edit the book with my input as well to suit the genre

I thought veinglory's comment was very clear, but I'll have another go at making the point again.

Many agents and publishers won't consider books which have already been published, no matter what format they've been published in; so if you self-publish an audio version of your book you'll make the print edition of the book less attractive to agents and publishers. You'll be reducing your chances of getting representation and publication.

veinglory
02-27-2013, 02:15 AM
By 'third party publisher' I just mean any publisher other than yourself as a direct-to-reader publisher. They want to exploit your manuscript and make money out of it. If you exploit the manuscript in any way, that leaves less for the publisher.

Shaley
02-27-2013, 10:06 AM
And yet you've managed to comment here. That's a bit Alice In Wonderland, isn't it?

I thought veinglory's comment was very clear, but I'll have another go at making the point again.

Many agents and publishers won't consider books which have already been published, no matter what format they've been published in; so if you self-publish an audio version of your book you'll make the print edition of the book less attractive to agents and publishers. You'll be reducing your chances of getting representation and publication.

Thanks Old Hack, for taking the time to explain to a Newbie,the answers to the questions that I thought belonged in the"too hard basket". In Qatar ,where i live,there are no writer's groups and so information regarding publishing and the machinations of how it works is not easily available to the public. Everything that is published here is controlled by the Ministry of Culture and Arts. So most writers work in Isolation in fact I havent met any other writers yet. Anything I learn is usually from participating via other writers on the forums which i am very grateful for.

By the way, Thankyou for comparing me to "Alice in Wonderland" it does make me feel a lot younger and for what it's worth, I answered the comment first and then discovered later where it had been moved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it a litle more Vein Glory I do understand now what you meant in your first post and will consider my options again.