PDA

View Full Version : Bubblegum Crisis

Mark Moore
02-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Anyone here fans of this series. The original anime (1980s-1990) was supposed to be 13 episodes long (release direct to video) but was cut short after episode 8 when the two companies involved had a falling out.

A 3-episode prequel series regarding the A.D. Police came out in 1990, a 3-episode unauthorized sequel series (Bubblegum Crash) came out in 1990, and, in the 2000s, a legit 3-episode sequel series (Parasite Dolls) focusing on a secret branch of the A.D. Police called, uh, Branch was released (though it didn't mention the events or characters of BGC).

In AU land, there was a 26-episode reboot TV series in the 1990s called "Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040" and, later on, a 12-episode prequel series dealing with the A.D. Police. No one seems sure what it's supposed to be a prequel to. Some say the original BGC, but the DVD case says BGC2040.

The original BGC was a VERY 1980s look at the years 2032-2033 and was heavily inspired by "Blade Runner", "Streets of Fire", and "The Terminator".

Hot girls. Mech armor. Futuristic weapons. Rock and Roll. What's not to love?!

maxmordon
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
I mostly remember the A-mazing Blade Runner/Streets of Fire aesthetics back when the Latin American cable channel Locomotion still existed.

I think it was my first introduction to Cyberpunk.

BenPanced
02-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Anyone here fans of this series. The original anime (1980s-1990) was supposed to be 13 episodes long (release direct to video) but was cut short after episode 8 when the two companies involved had a falling out.
That would probably explain why it felt like that series just...stopped.

Crash11
02-27-2013, 12:44 AM
I remember watching.... one of those series. My mom walked in on one of the scenes where two of the ladies are standing naked on a beach after (I think) their suits broke or something, could have been the last episode, I dunno it's been a really long time, and she was like "What the hell is this?"

Needless to say, I could not convince her that she had somehow walked in on the ONE scene, in the ONE episode that had nude cartoons, and that the rest of the series was mostly clean. I miss childhood.

Jamiekswriter
02-27-2013, 12:59 AM
I remember Priss and Sonia Stingray. However, in the new ones Sonia became an idiot and I stopped watching. As in, she built the mechs in the original series and in the new ones she was a giggling moron. I did love the old series. The song Hurricane that Priss sang really reminded me of something Ellen Ames would sing in Streets of Fire.

Sam Argent
02-27-2013, 05:03 AM
I saw the original and 2040 but I can only remember the latter. If the prices are still reasonable at the end of the year, I might buy them for another watch.

Mark Moore
02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
That would probably explain why it felt like that series just...stopped.

Yep. Artmic and Youmex had legal problems with each other, and the series stopped after episode 8. Artmic that produced "Bubblegum Crash" (1991), and Youmex promptly sued Artmic, supposedly cutting Crash short.

When "Parasite Dolls" (2003) was announced, there was a trailer or presentation or whatever that showed a timeline of releases in the franchise. Only "Bubblegum Crisis" (1987-1991) and "AD Police Files" (1990) were listed before "Parasite Dolls", which means "Bubblegum Crash" is excluded from canon (which is just as well, since the series severely contradicts Crisis anyway).

Mark Moore
02-27-2013, 07:01 PM
I remember watching.... one of those series. My mom walked in on one of the scenes where two of the ladies are standing naked on a beach after (I think) their suits broke or something, could have been the last episode, I dunno it's been a really long time, and she was like "What the hell is this?"

Needless to say, I could not convince her that she had somehow walked in on the ONE scene, in the ONE episode that had nude cartoons, and that the rest of the series was mostly clean. I miss childhood.

Yeah, that was one of the last scenes of the last episode of BGC2040. Another minute or two, and you would have been home free.

Manuel Royal
02-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Sounds interesting ... I see the first show is available on Hulu and Netflix; I'll check it out.

I appreciate threads like this. There's such a broad spectrum of stuff under the name "anime", and a lot of it looks alike at first glance: might be idiotic, might be brilliant.

Mark Moore
02-28-2013, 07:59 AM
It really cannot be overstated just how much that "Bubblegum Crisis" owes to the three movies that I mentioned in the first post. "Streets of Fire" actually bombed in North America (too bad, really), but it was a huge hit in Japan, and the makers of "Bubblegum Crisis" were truly inspired by it.

To illustrate, take a look at the official "Streets of Fire" trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGo2rvfSuA) and then take a look at this mock trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyg5ltekAZw) that uses the same audio but substitutes "Bubblegum Crisis" footage. It's uncanny.

Celia Cyanide
02-28-2013, 08:14 AM
I forgot about STREETS OF FIRE. What an awful film.

Manuel Royal
02-28-2013, 04:17 PM
I forgot about STREETS OF FIRE. What an awful film.Aw, c'mon. What's not to like? It's one of the better 1980s cum 1950s cheesy urban fantasies.

Mark Moore
03-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Anyone have a favorite character from any of the series?

For me, going by just the original series for now, it's probably a tie between Priss and Sylia. Nene's got the cuteness thing going on, but I think BGC2040 Nene outdoes her in that regard. I don't care for Linna.

BenPanced
03-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Yep. Artmic and Youmex had legal problems with each other, and the series stopped after episode 8. Artmic that produced "Bubblegum Crash" (1991), and Youmex promptly sued Artmic, supposedly cutting Crash short.

When "Parasite Dolls" (2003) was announced, there was a trailer or presentation or whatever that showed a timeline of releases in the franchise. Only "Bubblegum Crisis" (1987-1991) and "AD Police Files" (1990) were listed before "Parasite Dolls", which means "Bubblegum Crash" is excluded from canon (which is just as well, since the series severely contradicts Crisis anyway).
Could be worse. Could have sequels and prequels on a Gundam level...