PDA

View Full Version : question on how to get started

keico
02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Ok as I surf the internet I am trying to figure how to get started.

I see that literary agents can be classified as to what type of books they publish. IE fiction non fiction.

Do you think that the subject of the book determines what literary agent to seek out, and if so how do you determine what books a literary agent prefers.

Just wondering

sheadakota
02-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Fiction is divided into many different genres. Figure out what you are writing then go to agent query. They will give you a list of agents who accept queries in that genre.

keico
02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Fiction is divided into many different genres. Figure out what you are writing then go to agent query. They will give you a list of agents who accept queries in that genre.

Hey thanks for a quick response

How do I find out the different genres of fiction

also where would agent query be located ?

Wisteria Vine
02-25-2013, 05:37 PM
You can find AgentQuery at www.agentquery.com.

sheadakota
02-25-2013, 05:44 PM
On the agent query page is a link to definitions to different genres, but don't query until you are ready. Your book needs to be finished, edited, then edited again and again. Sent to beta readers, rewritten, polished, sent back out, edited again,( not always in that order). THEN you need to do something even more difficult, write a great query letter.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but maybe concentrate on the writing before worrying about the submitting. :)

keico
02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
On the agent query page is a link to definitions to different genres, but don't query until you are ready. Your book needs to be finished, edited, then edited again and again. Sent to beta readers, rewritten, polished, sent back out, edited again,( not always in that order). THEN you need to do something even more difficult, write a great query letter.

Everyone has to start somewhere, but maybe concentrate on the writing before worrying about the submitting. :)

Great advice, but what if you already have twenty books self published.

Do you have to go over everything again ?

Filigree
02-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Short answer, Keico: yes, you will probably have to start over with brand-new work.

Most agents are still not that interested in most self-published work. The first rights are gone. Things that sell under a few hundred copies a year are not considered worth the effort of pitching for re-publication by bigger houses unless they attract a lot of attention: literary prizes, celebrity notice, large fan base, etc.

You could leverage your existing writing if any of it falls into that magic area of having enough fans to warrant agent interest, but not so much exposure that agents and publishers think the market might be already saturated.

Old Hack
02-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Ok as I surf the internet I am trying to figure how to get started.

I see that literary agents can be classified as to what type of books they publish. IE fiction non fiction.

Literary agents don't publish anything. They represent authors, and broadly speaking, find their author-clients good deals with good publishers. Good agents actually do a lot more than that, but that's their primary function. If you want to find out more, read Carole Blake's book From Pitch To Publication: it's great.

Do you think that the subject of the book determines what literary agent to seek out, and if so how do you determine what books a literary agent prefers.

Just wondering

The genre your book is in will definitely influence the sort of literary agents you would submit it to. You've already been given some good advice about where to find agents.

Great advice, but what if you already have twenty books self published.

Do you have to go over everything again ?

Are you asking if you're going to have to re-revise your self published work before you can submit it to an agent? I'll assume so, but your comment isn't entirely clear.

Most agents and publishers want new books, not books which are already published. So if you want to find an agent and aim for a deal with a trade publisher, you're going to have to write a new book.

Bufty
02-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Welcome, keico, and you have not broken any rules, friend.:welcome:
I took the liberty of copying the following from your Introductory post simply because it may have a bearing on the advice you are given here.

Put your own name in full view if you want to, but I've removed the other name you mentioned from the quote below.

Originally posted in New Member Forum by keico

Ok first let me say that I am not an author.

I am thankful to find a message board where authors old and new can come and converse with one another.

Mt spiritual advisor xxxxx has asked me to help him with some difficulties he is having.

Now before I just jump right in with questions, let me introduce myself and my friend.

My name is Antonio Byrd, and I am a computer tech by trade. I fix computers and also do web page designing.

I have known xxxx for many years and have come to rely on his advice and encouragement in my life.

Xxxxx has self published about twenty books on Amazon barnes & Noble and xlibris.

He has also just recently became incorporated.

He sees now the importance of having a literary agent, but because his primary language is Spanish finding one can be difficult for him. He does speak Spanish, but for certain matters he always ask me for help, and I am always more than happy to help him.

Hopefully I have not violated any rules.

Anyway hello to everyone and I look forward to making some new friends and learning a few things along the way

keico
02-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Hey I really appreciate all the advice I am getting here.

I do know that my spiritual advisor has a lot of unpublished books also.
At least another ten more.

Every time I speak with him he is always writing more and more books.

I will definitely relay the advice I was given here.