Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm gonna have to look into hosting my own.

This is getting a little frustrating. Every time they go down, I hold my breath that everything will be there when they come back up, too.

kathompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathompson.blogspot.com
::scratches head:::

I'm not having any problem. I haven't had a problem with Blogger in a very long time...

I do, however, compose all my posts in Word and save it before posting to blogger, just in case. But I'd do that for any hosting system...

If I were smart and tech oriented, I'd use Word Press on my own domain, but I'm not smart enough, apparently...

Deleted member 42

MacAllister said:
I'm gonna have to look into hosting my own.

This is getting a little frustrating. Every time they go down, I hold my breath that everything will be there when they come back up, too.

Mac, why not have your blogger posts on your domain? It's easy to do.

Just make a directory and sub-directory for the blog posts and archives, then fill in the form on blogger to point it there.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Perhaps we've discussed this before, elsewhere, and I can't recall it - but if one has one's own domain and could create the directory and sub-directory as you suggest, then what's the blogger form you speak of to point one's posts there? I couldn't find it but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place...

Deleted member 42

Blogger/Settings/Publish, and the URLs for both the posts and the archives.

For instance, your server may be set up so the server path is

/home/dawno/public_html/blog/

Set it to publish via FTP or SFTP

Before you fill out the form, create a directory for the posts, and a subdirectory in that directory for the archives.

You will need to know the server path which might be something like (yours may have very different directories)

/home/dawno/public_html/blog/

but the URL would be

http://www.dawnosplace.com/blog/

and the archives would be in

/home/dawno/public_html/blog/archives/

but the archive URL would be

http://www.dawnosplace.com/blog/archives/

I'd read the little help notes on the form.

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
kathompson said:
If I were smart and tech oriented, I'd use Word Press on my own domain, but I'm not smart enough, apparently...

It might be easier than you think :) Besides, if you have your own domain, your host might already provide WP as an easy installable script - especially if you have cPanel. Sometimes cPanel will come with Fantastico, otherwise it sometimes is available under the scripts section. Installing WP via Fantastico or the scripts section is pretty easy. Even the manual installation is not that hard if you want to do it ... and of course, we can help you :)

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Ok, I wasn't having problems with Blogger before but now I am. Anyone else still having problems with it?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Back to normal a while after you posted, Sthrn--I managed to get the post up last night/early this morning, but had to wait til they came back up from the outtage you posted. Usually I manage to make a mental note of their planned time-outs.

I either missed it, this time, or they've had to scramble a bit. I'll wander over to the site, later, and see if they've said anything about it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's easy to port blogger to your own server, then you can make your blog the front page of your portal... Medievialist has given some very good information. The reason to use Blogger, then, becomes a usability issue. Blogger is just so EASY to use. However, if you have other blog authoring methods, feel free to use it. There are blogging software out there, so you don't have to depend on an online site like Blogger.

kathompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathompson.blogspot.com
Fahim said:
It might be easier than you think :) Besides, if you have your own domain, your host might already provide WP as an easy installable script - especially if you have cPanel. Sometimes cPanel will come with Fantastico, otherwise it sometimes is available under the scripts section. Installing WP via Fantastico or the scripts section is pretty easy. Even the manual installation is not that hard if you want to do it ... and of course, we can help you :)

OK, my head just exploded... I have GoDaddy as my host, not sure what they offer besides more space and bandwidth than I'll ever use. I can do basic HTML, I can create and tweak a blogger template, but more than that makes me want to curl up in the corner and cry like a little girl. Compoture stuff is like math, and math is hard.

:Hammer:

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Back to normal a while after you posted, Sthrn--I managed to get the post up last night/early this morning, but had to wait til they came back up from the outtage you posted. Usually I manage to make a mental note of their planned time-outs.

Thanks, Mac. Usually I don't have that many problems with Blogger. When I first read this thread, Blogger was still working fine for me but a couple of hours later, it decided to give me problems.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Yeah, Dawno, looks like it's down again. Meanwhile, how come all the links in your sig go to "tinyurl.com" extensions?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Does this happen often with Blogger? I know that lately I've been getting a lot of 'cannot find server' messages. That's where I was planning to set mine up when I get ready because I like the looks of the blogs.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Yeah, Dawno, looks like it's down again. Meanwhile, how come all the links in your sig go to "tinyurl.com" extensions?

A sig can only contain 500 characters. I couldn't fit the stuff I wanted in the sig without shrinking the size of the HTML so I created tiny urls for all the links and that worked. They still point to the right places, I hope!

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I haven't really noticed it being a problem, until the last few weeks, Anne--but I've been blogging more regularly, too. So I can't really say if the service has been buggier, or I'm just around more to notice.

Dawno said:
A sig can only contain 500 characters. I couldn't fit the stuff I wanted in the sig without shrinking the size of the HTML so I created tiny urls for all the links and that worked. They still point to the right places, I hope!
Oh! that's so smart!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
quidscribis is the smart one who figured out why I kept getting the 500 character error when I'd try to update my sig. I mean, it didn't look anywhere near 500 characters! After she mentioned (here) the thing about the HTML the rest was easy. I *lurv* tinyurl.com.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
EmoteHug2.gif
Awwww...

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
In all honesty, I've never had problems with Blogger before. But the past few days, it has been totally nutso!! Yesterday, I put a post up and when I went to make sure it was there, there were three of them, so I deleted two. Today, it won't let me do anything and always comes up with the Cannot Display Page errors.

kathompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathompson.blogspot.com
Blogger underwent 3 major surgeries yesterday and is still very groggy from the anesthesia today... As of 5 minutes ago it was up and running, but the chances of post op fevers are good, so it might puke a few more times before tomorrow.

SeanDSchaffer

It's back up again, everyone. I'm able to visit the blogs now.

It seemed to have been down for quite a few hours, I was getting pretty upset.

emoticoncry.gif