PDA

View Full Version : Professional Musicians Wanted

Miz Erie
02-24-2013, 06:44 AM
My WIP has a rock star performing a gig at a smaller venue, and he stays behind after the set to talk to the club manager.

What reason(s) would a musician need to stay after a set to talk to the venue manager? I thought maybe to get paid, but I'd like another reason in addition to that.

For the record, this is not the average musician/rock star. He keeps up with his band's management himself. He has a background as the owner of a record label, so this wouldn't be too much of a stretch I don't think. (Feel free to correct me.) I need him to stay after the other band members have left the venue.

ETA: I have tried searching the forum for some help, as well as the internet in general, and I have turned up naught. I apologize if I have overlooked something on here.

CrastersBabies
02-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Networking for other venues?
Venue manager needed a favor (personal or business related)
Feedback
Changes to current venue

Miz Erie
02-24-2013, 07:54 AM
I love the needing a favor one! It fits well with my character's personality and could easily be fit into the story. Thanks!

benbradley
02-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Discussing/negotiating his next gig at the venue. He could be in an especially strong position if he just sold out/packed the house.

Discussing/negotiating/booking another act's gig at the venue, perhaps their first there.

Al Stevens
02-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Been there, done that. Lot's of reasons. Maybe the gig included a meal, and he stays to finish eating. Maybe the manager is so impressed at having a notable player in his joint that he's buying drinks. Maybe the hostess is a hot lady. Maybe the small, dingy venue takes him back to an earlier time before stardom when he was struggling and playing those joints. Maybe he likes the seedy atmosphere and wants to set up a photo or video shoot.

I usually stayed if drinks were on the house or to hit on the hot babe. Can't help it. I'm a dirtbag.

Sounds like you're having fun writing this story. Good luck with it.

waylander
02-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Been there, done that. Lot's of reasons. Maybe the gig included a meal, and he stays to finish eating. Maybe the manager is so impressed at having a notable player in his joint that he's buying drinks. Maybe the hostess is a hot lady. Maybe the small, dingy venue takes him back to an earlier time before stardom when he was struggling and playing those joints. Maybe he likes the seedy atmosphere and wants to set up a photo or video shoot.

Or a live recording
Could be doing an interview with a local journalist

J.W. Alden
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
As someone else stated, maybe the gig came with a meal or other amenities. If the band is on tour, but they aren't anywhere near rich rock star territory, it's also possible members would hang around because the venue has a shower/washing machine on the premises.

Siri Kirpal
02-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Maybe he got into an interesting conversation with someone before his set and wanted to continue it.

Also, you didn't ask, but since the MC does recording, you should know that recording takes MUCH more time than you would expect. I only recorded one piece, a 31 minute number with me singing and one person on synthesizer; it was a real simple number and took something like 5+ hours to record.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

onesecondglance
02-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Maybe he got into an interesting conversation with someone before his set and wanted to continue it.

Also, you didn't ask, but since the MC does recording, you should know that recording takes MUCH more time than you would expect. I only recorded one piece, a 31 minute number with me singing and one person on synthesizer; it was a real simple number and took something like 5+ hours to record.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Def Leppard's Hysteria is only twice that long, but took 'em three years...

As a home recording enthusiast, I sympathise... it takes a surprising amount of time!