Question about exclusive reading

3Dynamic

Registered
Reaction score
Good Day,

(Caveats: I am new to writing... this post has an element of presumptuousness as I wish to prepare if something happens... the news here only indicates I can write fairly good query letters but it does not mean I can write a novel.)

About four months ago a highly reputable agent read my work and volunteered a lot of great advice. I responded by asking him for even more guidance on the promise I did not query him again. He gave me more advice.

I have spent three months fixing my story. And I will keep my promise to him and not re-query.

Yesterday, I queried about 20 agents (all highly recommended - again, this does not mean the story is good; just the idea and/or the query). And late last night I received a request for the full manuscript providing I gave them an exclusive. I agreed if he promised a quick reading. He agreed to two weeks. I accepted.

Now I wonder what happens if my spin on the story does not grab him (and now I am assuming I write well, for the rest of this post). It may grab another agent. What happens if, in the next few days, I get another request (this is where I am getting presumptuous, but I would like to prepare).

Well, I know that I will not break my promise. But I would like to know how far I can bend it.

Is the following ethical?

Suppose I get request from another and tell them: "I need about four or five more days... I am off on site (my other job -- please assume my work is such that I can justify this) and can send it when I return. I will send it in four days. But it cannot be an exclusive reading."

Now, that means I can still give the first agent time, assuming the second agent, if there even is one, does not read it immediately. If the first agent accepts, I can just go with him. If he declines, then at least I have not lost the second agent.

Is this ethical?
(And, of course, this could all be a fart in a hurricane - I might have just gotten lucky and there may be no more requests.)

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you receive another full request you tell the requesting agent that it's currently on an exclusive with another agent, which has X days left to run, and you tell them that as soon as that time period has elapsed, or if the exclusive agent offers, you'll send the book to her.

You don't fudge this.

Your agent needs to be able to trust you, and if she ends up representing you then finds out you were less than honest with her, she might well terminate her agreement with you.

Zombie Kat

Bacteria are your friends
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
If another agent likes your concept enough to request a full, they aren't going to mind waiting a few weeks for the exclusive to play out. It won't be the first time this has happened and they're not going to lose interest just because you can't send it immediately. Don't overthink it, stick to the truth (or, if there are only days left on the exclusive, I personally would just wait to send the new request without saying anything).

It's tempting to think that an agent who requests a full is eagerly waiting by their computer, rubbing their little hands together with glee and hitting the email refresh button. In reality, they probably have better things to do and are not going to be impressed if you start clogging up their inbox with angsty excuses and lies.

Well done on the exclusive, I hope it works out for you.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Listen to Old Hack. Don't lie. Agents know there are sometimes exclusives (though in general, they're not a good deal for a writer), and will wait for the period to expire without blinking.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
It sounds like you've been forthright and ethical thus far, and there's no reason to start fudging now.

As OH and Zombie have pointed out, other agents will understand that you currently have an exclusive. It was smart of you to request a time frame for the exclusive. Once that time frame runs out, you can send material to other requesting agents. But until then, you can simply tell any requesting agents that the material is currently bein read on an exclusive basis and you'll be happy to send material once the exclusive period has expired.

No need to prevaricate. Agents know the business--and frequently know each other. They understand how these things work. And, as 3D said, they have a lot on their plate so, as long as you respond to/update them professionally, they can wait.

Congrats on the exclusive request! Good luck!

Last edited:

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
I would keep it professional, and by professional, I mean be honest. You gave the one agent an exclusive, and it expires on such & such date. Don't embellish, your good word is your reputation. Be the kind of client that an agent would want to work with, it can only be to your benefit.
Good luck & congrats on the exclusive :)

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Listen to Old Hack and the other old hands here. Publishing is a small, cozy industry and people talk. Treat your (potential) agent as you would wish to be treated...and good luck!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Listen to Old Hack.

You gave the agent a two week exclusive. You must wait until that two weeks is up to send the full off to another agent.

I believe to do otherwise is unethical.