Virtual Reality Fantasy - reveal it's a fantasy from the start?

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking of writing a futuristic piece about an encounter a man has with a shape-changer in a virtual reality brothel. He signs an agreement that during the 'service' he will experience a temporary amnesia so that his conscience won't interfere with his pleasure.

Should I reveal that this was actually a purchased fantasy at the beginning of the piece, a la Total Recall, or only reveal it after he wakes up at the end?

I want a quick wrap up, not too much denouement. It seems kind of flat to explain it all away at the end. But I think explaining at the beginning would probably lessen the tension. Any thoughts?

Oldbrasscat

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping
Registered
Reaction score
In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies.
I think either way could work, although the second one's been done so many times in other genres it might be considered a cheat by readers. Can I ask--why does he need amnesia to not feel guilty in a pretend brothel? I can see him signing a release of indemnification because the experience is so awesome, but I'm a bit confused by the other.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't thought it all out yet, but I think my reasoning was that the facility tells first time buyers that in their experience, the 'shy' customers who have trouble letting go of inhibitions, are easier to please/the experience is heightened when they play their assumed roles in the pleasure chamber to the hilt. They take on an assumed persona vis-a-vis the fantasy player in the system. They can't experience the pleasure if they're aware it's not real. Not as much anyway. So their memory is manipulated temporarily...but afterwards they're permitted to re-integrate the experience into their psyche as a whole. Not sure it makes complete sense yet.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
How long is the book? With a short story it would work well to keep it hidden until the end, but with a longer book where more emotions and world building are involved it would be a bit more difficult. I've done VR in my Sodom series but it's a contemporary(ish) resort where people go to play in the VR that the resort offers and everyone is aware from the start that it's VR so it's a different premise from yours.

I'm not sure how the memory wipe would work. When someone is a blank slate, how would you deal with their confusion as they wake and don't know who, what, or where they are? Or is it selective amnisa? You could always have the VR place give him an aphrodisiac beforehand, could be real or a fake placebo to give him an excuse for being a horndog.

As far as lessening the intensity because it's known from the beginning that it's VR, well that depends on how you write the character.

My first question is, what is the main conflict in this? Does he feel guilty about wanting the shapechanger to assume a certain gender/species? Does he want the shapechanger to look like someone he can't have? Etc. Even in short story erotica there must be some kind of conflict, in my humble opinion, some kind of tension to give the story a backbone and life of its own. :)

My next question would be, why a shape changer in VR? Is this shape changer a real person, or just another aspect of VR. I like having real people populating the VR world and interacting with each other from an author's standpoint because it allows for, IMO, greater character development because you've upped the stakes by changing it from a wack off fantasy to a bit more romancy. Then again, this is your baby so you write it how you are most comfortable and what feels right to you. I'm just throwing ideas at you to give you a broader base to work with. :)

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Should I reveal that this was actually a purchased fantasy at the beginning of the piece, a la Total Recall, or only reveal it after he wakes up at the end?

If you don't let your reader in on the fantasy from the beginning, s/he's going to feel cheated, unless you can come up with some extraordinarily clever way to handle it.

It's just like the '...and then I woke up." ending where the author reveals that the whole adventure was a dream. Should you be able to get it published, your readers will hate you.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
It's just like the '...and then I woke up." ending where the author reveals that the whole adventure was a dream. Should you be able to get it published, your readers will hate you.

Truth. I'll burn an effigy of you in my backyard.

Reminds me of the lamest series ending ever in a TV show.

From: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllJustADream ((good website for tropes))

• Dallas infamously undid a season this way. The actor that played Bobby left the show, and they had Bobby hit by a car and died. After the ratings started to sink, and the actor came back, the writers retcon the entire season as a dream by Pam, causing several continuity snarls and messing up the Spin-Off, Knots Landing, where it referenced Bobby's death in the story line.
    • There's even more to this: Producer Leonard Katzman was kicked off the show at the same time Patrick Duffy left, only to be brought back at the cast's demand. Katzman hated a lot of stuff that was done to the show in his absence (primarily making the women much stronger characters), and so thought of a way to ensure they never happened.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah "it was just a dream" is as horrible in erotica as it is in other genre. I would suggest letting the reader know what is going on at the beginning but somehow working in some real life consequences for the protagonist by the end.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote almost 3000 words on this story last night. I strongly hinted in the story's introduction that this was going to be a manufactured fantasy, but now the MC has woken up somewhere, after being drugged, and he doesn't remember how he got there. So I will reveal that it was a fantasy a friend purchased for him, in the end. His friend decided to put him in the virtual reality 'sphere' and to make it seem like he was being tried for a murder he didn't commit. And then he gets sentenced to ahem - a sort of slavery - he is consigned to reproduce with an alien female, to make halflings of a sort. It's very bizarre. But I'm having a lot of fun writing it.

Anyway, he will be freed from the virtual reality fantasy at the end and told it was all done for his benefit, because he'd been so bored but didn't have the nerve to go to this 'facility' himself.

I hope this ties up everything nicely. ;) Thinking of where to submit this, after it's done. Need a new pen name. :)

One thing I'm having trouble with is the lingo. I hate writing graphic words for body parts. I'm having a great deal of trouble writing substitutes that don't sound ridiculous. I need to get used to that...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think there is more potential in the prior agreement leading to something unpredictable, than the events turning out to not be "real".