PDA

View Full Version : Turning Off Kindle Highlights

Elaine Margarett
02-22-2013, 06:57 PM
I searched and couldn't find anything on this topic in the forums. I recently rec'd a kindle as a gift and love it, but I find the highlighted passages in the midst of content annoying and distracting.

Why are they there? Are other readers making the choice to highlight certain sections and everybody then has to view them? What's the point?

Arrgh...

EMaree
02-22-2013, 07:25 PM
The steps vary a bit depending on your version of Kindle, but there should be no huge differences.

- Go to the Home page
- Open the Menu
- Click on Settings
- Go to page 3 (last page) of the Settings
- Set 'Popular Highlights' and 'Public Notes' to Off

mccardey
02-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Why are they there? Are other readers making the choice to highlight certain sections and everybody then has to view them? What's the point?

Yes, I wondered that. I find it - well - offputting. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned about that sort of thing, though: is it intended to make me feel I'm in conversation with other readers? Or is it just a - thing?

Thanks EMaree. I'd never have found my way there.

EMaree
02-22-2013, 08:52 PM
It's a social feature, so you can see what lines other people 'like'.

It doesn't bother me hugely (it occasionally brings my attention to a nicely-written line I wouldn't have paid much heed to) but it is gimmicky and doesn't really add anything to the reading experience.

I guess they are trying to make you feel like you're in a big group of readers, but I'm quite happy on my own with my virtual book.

Jersey Chick
02-22-2013, 09:15 PM
It bugged me, so I turned them off on my Kindle. :D

Elaine Margarett
02-22-2013, 09:41 PM
The steps vary a bit depending on your version of Kindle, but there should be no huge differences.

- Go to the Home page
- Open the Menu
- Click on Settings
- Go to page 3 (last page) of the Settings
- Set 'Popular Highlights' and 'Public Notes' to Off

Oh, bless you!

EM,
Chagrined I never made it to page 3

EMaree
02-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Glad I could help :D

thothguard51
02-23-2013, 12:03 AM
I use the highlights for my documents but not for any of the books I have read. As a matter of fact, I don't recall ever seeing any of the books I have read having highlights in them.

mccardey
02-23-2013, 12:06 AM
My kindle's battery is flat. I wish someone would come and plug it in for me.

Snowstorm
02-23-2013, 12:10 AM
I turned it off right away as well. Being interrupted by others' comments would be too distracting.

Cliff Face
02-23-2013, 02:47 AM
That sounds like it'd be really annoying.

I was hoping to get a Kindle eventually, so it's good to know how to fix the problem.

But why would I want to see what other people have highlighted? It'd be like being immersed in the characters in the book, then all of a sudden I've got Bob from Connecticut going, "Hey, check out this paragraph?" "Bob! You don't belong in the story!"