PDA

View Full Version : Oddest Book Title 2013

Corussa
02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I see from this BBC article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21544921) that the shortlist is up for this year's Diagram Prize. Which would you choose?

Was Hitler Ill? by Hans-Joachim Neumann and Henrik Eberle

Lofts of North America: Pigeon Lofts by Jerry Gagne

God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis by Tom Hickman

Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop by Reginald Bakeley

How Tea Cosies Changed the World by Loani Prior

How to Sharpen Pencils by David Rees

I think I just have to go for Goblinproofing, though Tea Cosies is a close second. :D

onesecondglance
02-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Tea Cosies for me!

mirandashell
02-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I'll vote for Tea Cosies as well.

Well.... I'm English. We Brits built an empire on tea! Cosies are important!

Corussa
02-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Perhaps someone - maybe some industrious AWer - ought to write an alternate history story, set in a World Without Tea Cosies. I presume it would be fairly apocalyptic...

onesecondglance
02-22-2013, 04:17 PM
"My god, this tea is stone cold!"
"Good lord, what did we ever do to deserve such torture? Have these men no souls?"
"I say we invade France, forthwith!"
"Aye!"

Patrick.S
02-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Goblinproofing the chicken coop. I've done that once.

franky_s
02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
How to Sharpen Pencils.

I'm imagining that it's a 1000 page tome complete with diagrams, algorithims and an extensive bibliography.

Corussa
02-22-2013, 06:46 PM
How to Sharpen Pencils.

I'm imagining that it's a 1000 page tome complete with diagrams, algorithims and an extensive bibliography.

Not to mention cautionary tales about the countless injuries suffered as a result of incorrect pencil-sharpening...

Patrick.S
02-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Not to mention cautionary tales about the countless injuries suffered as a result of incorrect pencil-sharpening...

A whole chapter about when the lead gets stuck in the tip of the sharpener.

veinglory
02-22-2013, 07:51 PM
This list usually annoys me as they include plain non-fiction titles for specific subjects. As if caring about the subject is innately ridiculous. Sand dredging, for example--it's not a silly thing. It is not ridiculous to write and read books about it.

The 'winner' is chosen to laugh as a foreign nickname "Poo" (meaning crab). I hope her fair trade company gets some good publicity out of it at least.