Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindness

Back From My Self-Imposed Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boyvsworld.blogspot.com
If I'm completely honest, I'm still trying to get it out of my head that most editors are these extremely harsh and literary critics on the level of national competition judges. It's this enormous, irrational fear.

There can't even be so many people who are like that out there. And yet... the feeling doesn't go away. I'm sure it won't until I get something accepted. Sigh.

The funny thing is that I've actually met a couple of editors. They were really nice people, with interesting stories about how they became editors (one was a writer who sort of fell into the job, and I could imagine being in her shoes). Unfortunately, five seconds after I got home, my brain decided that they were an anomaly and they were the only two editors in the entire world who weren't national competition judges.

Aaargh.

What about you? How do you see them in your mind's eye?

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Can't say I've thought much about it. Publishing is a business like any other and so all I expect is that they know their business. My own experience has been very positive and I've found editors to be decent, good-natured people.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hello! We are nice people wearing comfortable clothes, working in an industry that requires us to be enthusiastic about writers and writing. We have to be very selective about what we buy, but we aren't ever going to be horrible about rejecting something. The editors you have met are totally representative. Hugs!

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Hm...I don't know. Every time I try to picture an editor, all I can see is the very top of someone's head peaking out from behind a pile of manuscripts.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good looking, suave, a lot like every James Bond (or Bond girls) all rolled into one. Often seen with a thousand-yard stare, followed by a small smile, then a positive nod before returning to the text to make an intelligent yet witty comment in blue pencil or font.

The question asked for my avatar picture.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
mx4EkH5.png

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They're all like Evil Editor, of course.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Editing isn't really a glamorous job. Most of them aren't PhD's so it's not like they're overly-harsh critics. None of the editors I've ever been in contact with ever insulted me or my work. I've been an editor too and all that interests me is good writing and a good story.

Relax. And put something in SYW, revise it, then send it out. That's an order.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The cynical, paranoid part of me imagines editors sitting at their computers, arms crossed in the classic "shut off and stubborn" mode, scowling and thinking about how they would rather be doing ANYTHING other than reading a damn query from some American dork in Uganda who thinks he's written something clever. I can almost hear the derisive snort of "not just no, not just hell no, but fuck no" as he or she shakes his or her head and resents the fifteen seconds it takes to copy and paste their favorite words: "not for us at this time."

HOWEVER, I know this is not true. A while ago we had a western story contest here on AW, and part of the deal was you had to vote on the other stories in order for yours to be eligible. There were 40 stories, and after the voting I had new respect for editors and agents. This was only forty stories; imagine getting upwards of 100 a day. Imagine being responsible for your journal or publishing house's finances; judging in a contest is different than committing your business to a financial investment. I wanted each story to win, and I was genuinely disappointed when a promising story fizzled out. I looked for how I could vote for a story rather than vote against it. I imagine editors are the same way, only due to volume they must have a system, out of necessity, for culling the majority of them.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno about real editors, but this is how I look when I edit someone's MS.

Us97jm8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.