• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Anyone want to read an amateur's short story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostReporting

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am very amateur writer who has very bad grammar and writing skills. However I have a great imagination which has helped me write a couple of 100,000 word rough draft novels. I am far too nervous to ever let anyone read or know I wrote these which is something I need to overcome.

So reluctantly I have decided to start slowly and let someone read an 1100 word short story I just wrote This is a rough draft which I wrote last night in a couple of hours. I am aware that the grammar and writing is very bad but I was just trying to get the story down on paper and worry about that stuff later.

If anybody would be kind enough to read this short story and inform me if it makes sense story wise or is just gibberish then that would be awesome.

Thanks, PM me if interested

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Ghost, in AW we have the SYW section, which is pretty much for what you're looking for. Swing by a check it out. You can post your own work up if and when you have 50+ posts, but you can post on other's work right now.

And, work on your grammar. Writing skills take lifetimes to acquire, but grammar is elementary. Get a grammar book and start fixing thing, 'cause no one wants to read something that doesn't make sense.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Ditto WillSauger.

Readers want to feel useful. We don't feel useful correcting things you could easily correct yourself. And quite honestly, it's really hard to read something when the grammar is a mess. The flow will be interrupted trying to understand what the author meant. A comma's presence or absence can completely change the meaning of a sentence. I know someone here has this amusing example in their signature:

"Let's eat, Grandpa!"
"Let's eat Grandpa!"

See? Take away a comma and the grandkids just turned cannibalistic. :)

Now, all that being said, I am totally in favor of writing things down just to get the ideas out first. Especially if you're new to writing. But these rough drafts aren't for second readers yet. Get it as clean as you can, then ask for feedback. That way your readers will help you catch things you couldn't find on your own.

Best of luck and welcome! :)

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
don't delete it (mods rarely do this anyway) but I will second what Will says--if you are unaware what needs fixing people are happy to help, but if you already know where a bunch of the rough spots are....it is generally considered good form to handle everything you can instead of leaving the heavy lifting for someone else.

participate, learn (you can learn a ton here) and get to your 50....one advantage of this Will did NOT mention is if you go to SYW you may get a dozen crits, instead of a single beta.

GhostReporting

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will admit that I think my short story readable and not a complete mess. However, compared to the grammar proficiently on this message board, it truly is trash LOL.

Also, I was unaware of the 50 post limit and the SYW section so thank you again for that information. It will takes years to reach 50 posts so maybe by then my grammar will be much better!

Thanks all

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will admit that I think my short story readable and not a complete mess. However, compared to the grammar proficiently on this message board, it truly is trash LOL.

Also, I was unaware of the 50 post limit and the SYW section so thank you again for that information. It will takes years to reach 50 posts so maybe by then maybe my grammar will be much better!

Thanks all

The 50 posts is only for posting your own work, but you can start critiquing others work before then. And even if you think your own writing skills are "trash," one of the best ways to improve is to critique someone else. :)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If your novel is written with the same care and attention as you seem to devote to your posts, I'd stop worrying.

You spell grammar correctly, which is a pleasant change. :welcome:

It may just be on the technique side where you need assistance.

It will take a lot less time than you think to achieve 50 posts.

Browse around this massive site, and have a peek in the Share-Your-Work Forum.

Nothing stopping you from commenting on the work of others. Also, critically reading the work of others and spotting perceived flaws will help you spot the same flaws in your own manuscript.

Also, I was unaware of the 50 post limit and the SYW section so thank you again for that information. It will takes years to reach 50 posts so maybe by then my grammar will be much better!

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.