revising before finishing the first draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snc84

Registered
Reaction score
I started writing my first novel on New Year's and I'm on page 180 and suddenly realized that my lead guy is too girly(for lack of a better explanation). He is like the doormat guy that you just want to yell "Stop trying so hard, it makes you seem desperate." He talks to much, helps too much, is too sweet and understanding when my female character pulls away. She is creating all the tension and she is starting to annoy me with all the emotional distance she keeps pulling.

I have a sudden urge to go back and rewrite everything. Is this a bad idea? How do you scrap something you have been working on for almost two months? Should I just finish the story as is, knowing I have to go back and change a lot? Or do I go back now and make him more standoff-ish? I think it's going to change the tone of all their interactions and be better but it will also change all of her actions and reactions.

Has anyone ever had this problem that a character isn't what you thought he would be? Any suggestions for a first time writer?

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd go back and fix it. But I edit as I go anyway, so that's just the way I write. If it's such a big change, though, that it is going to alter all of the interactions they've had, you might as well go back and get it right before moving on, IMO.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, go back and fix it. If it's something that will effect the rest of your plot, fix it now.

I got a third of the way in on my current project and realized I started my story at the wrong point in my MC's life. It was throwing off her entire personality. I had no choice but to two rewrite the offending chapters and go back through and edit the entire thing. I only lost two weeks and my story is SO much better for it. Some things you can skip and fix later, but major things, like characterization will be much more work if you wait until you're finished.

snc84

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I was thinking I needed to resolve the issue immediately. Which leads me to the question: How, as a woman, do you write a male character? I think that is where the problem is. How do I write for a guy and keep the tendency to over-analyze, and be too accommodating, from coming out? Does anyone have a trick to getting into a male's mindset

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I love male POVs!

As for tricks...there's reading books with male POVs, basing your MC off a guy you know in real life, and going out with a notebook and pen and watching people.

I have a brother, so I'm sure being around him and his friends gave me a disturbing amount of insight. I also had an uncle that hung around all the time a cousin who stayed with my family all through his college career. Look at the men in your life. Watch how they act. Studying people can be a lot of fun and makes for a great writing exercise.

Some guys are over analyzing door mats though...

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second the advice to read lots of books with male POVs. Don't just read them from a reader's perspective, though. Analyze how much time is spent on dialogue, pure action, internal thoughts, etc. Then break down those internal thoughts to see how much time is spent with problem-solving, angst, hormone-induced observations, etc.

Personally, I find it easier now to write male POVs than I do female. Weird, I know.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Happens all the time. I'm 95 pages in and I realized the location for the book had to change. :p Personally, I revise constantly up to the point of submission. So go with your gut and fix it now.

Also- you could have your male character have a 'man up' moment where he tells the heroine to stop being such a dumbass, but in manly terms. Think John Wayne telling Maureen O'Hara how it was going to be in 'The Quiet Man'.--If you haven't seen that movie, even though it's a ye olde, please do. It is awesome. :D

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Congratulations on writing 180 pages of rough draft.
Yeah!!

As to major plot changes:

You can go back and fix it now,
or
you can go back and put brackets at the beginning of the various scenes that say
[Henry slugs him.]
or
[Add more forceful language for Henry.]
and keep writing ahead as if you have already made the changes
and do the changes in the brackets in the second draft.

There are proponents of each method.
I like to plow ahead to the end of Draft One, then go back and fix stuff.

You should choose the technique that works for you. You may not know which is right till the fifth or sixth manuscript.

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would go back and fix it now. Mainly because waiting and then going back may change how the whole story goes, so you'd end up re-writing a lot more. I'm not a fan of continuing as if the changes were made, because until you actually make the changes... kinda like buying carpet to go with the paint sample.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I usually say make a note of what's to change and continue. But in this case because it's characterisation, I'm going agree with changing it now and then finishing. You've written 180 pages with him characterised one way. If you continue then even thinking you want to write him a different way then your brain is going to tend to resist that, because it thinks it already knows this guy and will tend to get back into the familiar groove.

So I'd go back, do some rewriting. Keep it fairly rough, you don't have to do a complete polish of the thing at this point. But make the changes that change his characterisation and as you go through that should hopefully reset his character in your mind. So by the time you get back to the point you stopped you've got this new version of him fixed in your head and can continue with his new characterisation.

Last edited:

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
I'm in agreement with "fix it now" for several reasons, most of which have been mentioned above. But I'll add another thought, or perhaps just expand a bit.

The story as written so far is in your head as you're writing. You remember each line and every scene. The interactions, the emotions, etc. And this is all held in the forefront of your mind as you continue to create your story. For me, it would be impossible to continue on, pretending that I'd already gone back and changed whatever I decided to change. My writing from that point would suffer. My thoughts would be in a jumble.

Example: I just finished the "true" first draft of my latest project last week. I say "true first draft" because I finally wrote the last line - all 356 pages and 97,979 words! But in reality, with the exception of those last few chapters, the rest of the book had already gone through three full revisions. In one of those revisions I had gone back to the beginning after writing a good one third of the book because I decided to completely change the personality and purpose of one particular character AND to move a certain scene far earlier in the story. In other words, a major rewrite. My next revision involved bringing in a new character. I could not have moved forward if I hadn't stopped and gone back to make these changes.

My third revision came because I hit a wall when I reached the wrap up stage. I knew where I wanted to go, but wasn't exactly sure how I wanted to get there. (some of you might call that writer's block) When I get in that position, I go back to page one and read it all again. Revising and editing as I go, of course, but because that usually helps me to visualize what's next. And I've been productive at the same time.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
This is one of those "it all depends" kind of things. I know writers who insist that you should just plow ahead and get the first draft finished before you go back and revise. Me, I can't work that way. There are some things where I can just insert a note to myself to add something or beef up the emotion in a scene, but there are others where I have to rewrite it because what happens then affects everything that follows.
But that's me. You are the only one who can know the best way for you to work.

snc84

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everybody, for the advice. I spent the weekend going back and changing his attitude. It seems a little choppy now, but that might be because I worked on different scenes. I'm sure I can smooth it out on the first revision, after I get the rest of the story written. It helped to do a quick one page bio for him, so now I have a better feel for his character.

Thanks again for the kind advice and support!!

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party, but, and this is just me, I'd start all over. Seriously. What you want to change will effect the entire story and I never could just pick and chose. I always end up having to sacrifice the things I like about the story when I have to make major changes. But if the pick and chose methods works, go for it. :)

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
If something needs to change, I change it. I revise and edit as I write so that my first draft only needs minor revisions and cleanup.

As for writing guys, for me it's like writing any character. I get to know him, then his actions will all be in-character and perfectly natural. I think of it almost like an actor getting in character.

Also... Ann, I love The Quiet Man. Maureen O'Hara is the perfect bratty sub, just waiting for her man to Dom up.

storygirl99

Registered
Reaction score
It might be a bit late for advice but I wanted to reply because until recently, I have been a "revise as I go" writer. The problem was I wasn't finishing anything I started. I started a new manuscript resolved that no matter what happened, I would plow through to the end. I am now at 30,000 words and so far, so good. I've had lots of ideas about changes, and when I have them I type them in red. Once I finish my first draft I will allow myself to go back and amend.

Status
Not open for further replies.