Amazon breakthrough competition

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
If you've reached some level in Amazon's breakthrough competition, is it worth mentioning in a standard agent query letter?

Round 1 is judged by query, round 2 is 1st 5000 words or so, round 3 is the entire novel, the finals are open to reader vote.

I'm asking because I have a novel/query that made it to the second round. Since I have no illusion of actually winning, I would like to start querying, but if making it to the next round would make the query stronger, I could wait.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Tko, I think you'd better wait until you get rejected from the competition before you begin querying. I *believe* that the next round for you is the quarter finals, and if you make it through to them there may be issues with pitching the work elsewhere.

See section 5, Grant of Rights, in teh rulz.

I say this, but legal speak makes my brain hurt, so, yannow, might be wrong.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Tko,

Why are you in such a hurry? The competition ends on March 12, 2013, and that's just a few weeks away.

Seriously, I'd wait. If you get rejected, you can start querying.

Theo is right about Section 5 too.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Yup, thirding section 5. Amazon locks in first pub rights at the quarter-final stage, until you get cut (and in some other random instances, none of which are applicable to this scenario). So if you move on, what would you be querying? A book that agents wouldn't be allowed to pitch. So why would they be interested, as you'd essentially have no product? Plus Amazon isn't going to negotiate terms if you do secure an agent and win. The rules are da rulz. So I say don't shoot yourself in the foot and query something that might not be available.

Spend the next few weeks making sure the query, synopsis and first pages are as strong as they can be. It'll help get the antsies out, and get you in great shape for querying.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
OK

I didn't know they locked in the rights that early, good advice then.

Yeah, I'm antsy, but I've been polishing for a year, on my 3rd set of query rounds in query letter hell, was going to send it off on Jan 1st. I'm working on another novel, but every once and a while I glance at this one just sitting there, all polished and shiny . . .

Still not sure from the replies whether I should mention that I made it to XX round of the competition in future queries. Making it to the 1st round is no big deal, but surely making it to the quarter finals is worth mentioning.

I've got another question, see other post in this thread.

Yup, thirding section 5. Amazon locks in first pub rights at the quarter-final stage, until you get cut (and in some other random instances, none of which are applicable to this scenario). So if you move on, what would you be querying? A book that agents wouldn't be allowed to pitch. So why would they be interested, as you'd essentially have no product? Plus Amazon isn't going to negotiate terms if you do secure an agent and win. The rules are da rulz. So I say don't shoot yourself in the foot and query something that might not be available.

Spend the next few weeks making sure the query, synopsis and first pages are as strong as they can be. It'll help get the antsies out, and get you in great shape for querying.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
I have no idea how the rounds are picked, so I can't answer that part I'm afraid. I think there's a thread of folks who are in the contest somewhere here, though--maybe some of them could better answer whether to list it?

I'd guess that if the books are picked by industry professionals to move on to whatever stage you reach, then it's worth mentioning. Again, no idea how they actually decide. It could be via the Infinite Improbability Drive on the Heart of Gold for all I know. ;) So listen to me at your own peril.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm antsy, but I've been polishing for a year, on my 3rd set of query rounds in query letter hell, was going to send it off on Jan 1st. I'm working on another novel, but every once and a while I glance at this one just sitting there, all polished and shiny . . .

Still not sure from the replies whether I should mention that I made it to XX round of the competition in future queries. Making it to the 1st round is no big deal, but surely making it to the quarter finals is worth mentioning.

You should only mention it if you win. I've seen that specifically in reference to the Amazon contest as well. Basically, so many people make it to semi-finals and what not that it isn't really beneficial. Unless you're the winner, you shouldn't mention that you lost a contest.

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
I think I would mention it if you make it to the top 25. I mean making it to 25 out of 5,000 entries is pretty darn good. If I make it that far, I think I would mention it in my queries. Was actually talking to my husband about it the other day because I'm in round 2 also. Making it to round 2 is nothing and I wouldn't bother bringing it up, but the farther you go the better your novel must be :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
What they said. Round two is nothing. All it means is that your pitch got through. The next round is also nothing. All it means is that two Vine reviewers liked your excerpt.
The Quarter Finals are also nothing. So Publishers Weekly has placed you in the top 100 out of 400? Big deal.

The Semi-Finals puts you in the top 25. MIGHT be worth a mention.

Tko,

Why are you in such a hurry? The competition ends on March 12, 2013, and that's just a few weeks away.

No, it end early June. March 12 is simply the results of the excerpt judging. Still a long way to go to the end!

Last edited:

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com

Tko, you probably already know this, but you should *really* read the competition rules carefully *before* you begin. I remember a contest on Authonomy (which is owned by Harper Collins, don't forget) which stated *entering* the thing gave them the right to publish your work.

I wouldn't mention second round in a Q anyway. Just take it as a sign you aren't completely illiterate ;)