• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Marketing] Help A Reporter Out / HARO

Kirk T

Cap'n Kirk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertdetroit.yolasite.com
I recently joined HARO (Help A Reporter Out) in order to connect with media outlets around the globe. My reasoning is because I attend online seminars and this was suggested. Shortly after I joined, I received an email query from someone looking for a story that my book would fit to a tee. I responded to this and shortly after, I received a telephone call from an outfit called Vocus to sell me some off-the-wall promotion package. My question is this: Vocus claims to own HARO so is HARO just a way for Vocus to sneak in through the back door, or worse yet, the window? Maybe I should remove my name and email from HARO. Any experience with either of these–anyone?

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
I worked as a newspaper reporter and editor for 10+ years and never once dealt with either outfit. Most reporters cover a specific geographic area or topical beat, and ignore unrelated story pitches, so the big-blast natoonal emails usually end up in a spam folder or the trash.

I have used the PRNewswire/ProfNet search to find experts on my own, and that works really well.

Now that I'm in PR, I have gotten some sales pitches from Vocus, and politely turn them down every time. Their services are not what my employer needs or can afford - so probably also silly for a solo author to mess with. You can build a regional media list on your own in a few days with just Google.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's what Vocus offered me - a press release distribution system. Sounds like they have different products. Can't speak to those.