Bomb explosion radius

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
Okay, so I've decided on the reason to make my MC and her family move out of their home. A bomb is found in their garden/house (haven't decided yet), so they are forced to move out.

I've got a few questions:

1. Would their neighbors have to move out too, since the bomb would be powerful?
2. How powerful would it have to be to blow up their entire house and make it inhabitable?
3. Would that bomb then be able to blow up their neighbors' houses too?
4. What kinds of people find bombs to dispose of?
5. How would the people who find the bomb find it?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Lidya - you have to be more specific than this.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any help?

Googling some of the phrases would really help you.

What sort of bomb are you talking about? A terrorist device? A bomb from World War 11?

Any help?

Good luck.

=Lidiya;7985695]Okay, so I've decided on the reason to make my MC and her family move out of their home. A bomb is found in their garden/house (haven't decided yet), so they are forced to move out.

I've got a few questions:

1. Would their neighbors have to move out too, since the bomb would be powerful? The Bomb Disposal Squad would assess the power of the bomb, what kind it was, and decide who had to move how far away.

2. How powerful would it have to be to blow up their entire house and make it inhabitable? If a house is blown up it usually is uninhabitable because it has been blown up. How big is the bomb? How big is the house?

3. Would that bomb then be able to blow up their neighbors' houses too? What do you mean by 'then' - most bombs only explode once.

4. What kinds of people find bombs to dispose of? I think you are thinking of a Bomb Disposal Squad. Outside of a war situation nobody sets out to find bombs unless they think one is there. Why is anyone looking for a bomb in their garden or in their house at all? Do you mean under their house or in the house?

5. How would the people who find the bomb find it? Because they would know what they were looking for- bombs are usually metal -but why are they looking in the first place?

Once a bomb is found the authorities take over and the nearest Bomb Disposal Squad becomes involved -they would know how powerful the bomb was and what area might be needed to be evacuated.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Here are loads of news stories about unexploded bombs which caused streets or buildings to be evacuated.

As to your questions:

1. Most probably. Better to be safe than sorry.

2. Any kind of unexploded WW2 bomb dropped from an aircraft probably has the power to render a house uninhabitable, I'd think, as that was what they were designed to do. If it were something like a hand grenade or a mortar shell, maybe not.

3. Very possibly - high-explosive bombs did do this kind of damage in the Blitz. Google some pictures of Blitz bomb-sites - most of them would have been created by single hits.

4/5 Someone digs up the patio doing some gardening? Check the news stories I linked to above. Lots of different ways this can happen.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Any help?

Googling some of the phrases would really help you.

What sort of bomb are you talking about? A terrorist device? A bomb from World War 11?

Any help?

Good luck.

I'm thinking of a bomb from one of the World Wars, WW2 preferably.
1. Would their neighbors have to move out too, since the bomb would be powerful? The Bomb Disposal Squad would assess the power of the bomb, what kind it was, and decide who had to move how far away.

2. How powerful would it have to be to blow up their entire house and make it inhabitable? If a house is blown up it usually is uninhabitable because it has been blown up. How big is the bomb? How big is the house?
Hmm...well, about as big as this house.

3. Would that bomb then be able to blow up their neighbors' houses too? What do you mean by 'then' - most bombs only explode once.
I guess I wasn't clear enough -- I meant if it exploded, say, in the middle of the MC's house, would it damage some of the surrounding houses too?

4. What kinds of people find bombs to dispose of? I think you are thinking of a Bomb Disposal Squad. Outside of a war situation nobody sets out to find bombs unless they think one is there. Why is anyone looking for a bomb in their garden or in their house at all? Do you mean under their house or in the house?
Under the house.

5. How would the people who find the bomb find it? Because they would know what they were looking for- bombs are usually metal -but why are they looking in the first place?
I'm struggling to find a reason as to why they would be looking for a bomb near their house. Maybe a few bombs were found in an area near them, so the Bomb Disposal Squad is looking for any more close to that area.

Once a bomb is found the authorities take over and the nearest Bomb Disposal Squad becomes involved -they would know how powerful the bomb was and what area might be needed to evacuate.

Thanks for the info, I completely forgot about the bomb disposal squads!

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Here are loads of news stories about unexploded bombs which caused streets or buildings to be evacuated.

As to your questions:

1. Most probably. Better to be safe than sorry.

2. Any kind of unexploded WW2 bomb dropped from an aircraft probably has the power to render a house uninhabitable, I'd think, as that was what they were designed to do. If it were something like a hand grenade or a mortar shell, maybe not.

3. Very possibly - high-explosive bombs did do this kind of damage in the Blitz. Google some pictures of Blitz bomb-sites - most of them would have been created by single hits.

4/5 Someone digs up the patio doing some gardening? Check the news stories I linked to above. Lots of different ways this can happen.

I like this idea! Thanks :)

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mentioned the Bomb Disposal folk in your post about housing

Maybe the Water/Sewage authorities are digging up the road to replace old pipes and the bomb is discovered that way.

Hope all this resolves into a story for you.