Status
Not open for further replies.

Lils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lilynavarro.com
Hi guys,

Where would be a good place to search for artists to create character images for a website, and around what prices would I expect to pay for custom work?

Any recommendations would be great! Thanks!

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Well, there's a sticky around here somewhere with some artists and their general prices, but other than that, I'd suggest DeviantArt. You can get an idea of many different styles and experience levels there, and the price range varies widely.

AgentSparkle

I am a bucket.
Registered
Reaction score
conceptart.org though their prices are higher, the majority are professionals.

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's a sticky around here somewhere with some artists and their general prices, but other than that, I'd suggest DeviantArt. You can get an idea of many different styles and experience levels there, and the price range varies widely.

I love Deviant Art but things can be pricey. I saw an image I wanted to use and the artist was receptive -- at $1000 for the paperback, more if I wanted to go electronic, more still once so many copies were sold (and we're talking hundreds, not thousands).

Since I've yet to make $1000 in royalties for any of my stuff, I had to pass.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
I got my character portraits at Deviant Art and they were only $20 a pop -- there are a lot of artists working very cheap, especially if you like anime style.

Finding one that's talented can take a while. (I'm not impressed by DA's search function.)

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I talked to someone a while ago on DeviantArt about commissioning a picture. It wasn't for a book cover but I had thought about using it, potentially, for profit.

I asked the artist about that and she said that she would release the copyright on any images for an additional fee of $40. This was for anyone who intended to use the image for profit (I assume a book cover counts) as opposed to just using it as an avatar or something.

I assume that this is something potential buyers need to be aware of? The person I was working with seems to be really above board but I imagine that some artists might not know that releasing the copyright on an image that will be used for profit is even a thing that they should be doing.

Or is it standard for it not to be done? I'm pretty new to this but this seems like a potential landmine.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I talked to someone a while ago on DeviantArt about commissioning a picture. It wasn't for a book cover but I had thought about using it, potentially, for profit.

I asked the artist about that and she said that she would release the copyright on any images for an additional fee of $40. This was for anyone who intended to use the image for profit (I assume a book cover counts) as opposed to just using it as an avatar or something.

I assume that this is something potential buyers need to be aware of? The person I was working with seems to be really above board but I imagine that some artists might not know that releasing the copyright on an image that will be used for profit is even a thing that they should be doing.

Or is it standard for it not to be done? I'm pretty new to this but this seems like a potential landmine.

Sounds like she offered you nonexclusive rights for $40. Exclusive rights to really good images are usually more expensive, but unless this image was incredibly specific to what you need, you can probably do better.

ETA: My response is a lot of nonsense...

Last edited:

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Copyright belongs to the artist. There are several clauses to copyright, which includes the right to profit from the image and distribution. Images are not free when created.

If you're commissioning someone, then you should have the contract hammered out in advance (Which includes intention with the usage of the work, etc). Which includes discussions about derivative works (which should cost you extra). Also, if you want the copyright completely released from the artist, that should also be extra. (Usually the artist licenses it to you... pro artists can ask for a ton of money to actually release the copyright.)

It's worth it to actually read up on copyright and also graphic contracts.

To an effect, the artist does have a right to ask for extra if it is for personal v. profit. Which is why you should have a contract beforehand.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

If someone wanted to buy your writing, you wouldn't assume which rights they were buying. You'd find out what they were buying. At least, I hope you would!

Art rights are no different. All involved parties need to agree on what's being sold. Ideally, you'll want to write that down as a contract and have everyone sign it.

Book covers really don't need all rights. You need the rights to use it on all editions of the title, and in promotional stuff for the title. But you don't need the rights to sell prints or to sell rights to other people.

There's also the issue of exclusivity. Some agreements might have a time period where the artist can't resell the rights. The longer the time period, the more you'll pay. I think this is usually a waste of money, as book cover clones aren't that common (and where they exist, it gets a bit of extra publicity for the books if nothing else). But some people go for them.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like she offered you nonexclusive rights for $40. Exclusive rights to really good images are usually more expensive, but unless this image was incredibly specific to what you need, you can probably do better.
I don't think so. The artist hand draws every commission, which each run about $150-$400, and says that every one is exclusive to the buyer (or that's how I read their many admonitions to people that every drawing is only for the buyer and no one else ever has permission to use it). The additional fee of $40 was to get the copyright of the image if you wanted to use it for profit.

Which, judging from the comments below yours, sounds like it would be a good idea. Rachel Udin makes some great comments about the licensing aspect as opposed to copyright, though I am not clear on the difference. I think you're right that it's worth it to read up on the contracts. Got a good link suggestion for that?

Thanks you three! (Polenth, Rachel, Gale) Great response.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I don't think so. The artist hand draws every commission, which each run about $150-$400, and says that every one is exclusive to the buyer (or that's how I read their many admonitions to people that every drawing is only for the buyer and no one else ever has permission to use it). The additional fee of $40 was to get the copyright of the image if you wanted to use it for profit.

Which, judging from the comments below yours, sounds like it would be a good idea. Rachel Udin makes some great comments about the licensing aspect as opposed to copyright, though I am not clear on the difference. I think you're right that it's worth it to read up on the contracts. Got a good link suggestion for that?

Agreed. I misread the post last night and my response is nonsense. I don't know what I was thinking. :)

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com

Polenth went over it a bit.

Copyright, is the right to copy, sell/make profit from, distribute, reprint, and make derivatives with attribution. (See creative commons for a quick guide to what rights copyright contains)

If someone is selling you their copyrights, that means they are giving you forever control over all of those aspects, in which case it should cost you a few thousand. (minimum of 5,000, I would think though a pro told me he was paid 50,000 for it...)

License means there is usually only certain rights you are given out of that list and usually specified for a certain time period and/or region under which you either pay the artist again for the rights, or you forfeit them. This would be what is called the "reversion clause" which works the exact same way it does in the industry. You give up renewing your license and you can't use their art anymore. (Like you aren't supposed to drive a car when you license expires.) That means you can't use their art for the original purposes after that time period. (And you have to renegotiate the contract)

A bit sketchy, but I believe for books it's usually a few years (My memory is saying 10 is the average, but I can't remember if that's the correct number or where I got it exactly) and for magazines it's usually a year or so... under which time you can reprint (though you have to admit you gave up first printing rights)

I hope that's a bit more clear. But you should know this, even if you're self-publishing, to protect yourself because often the same rules apply to books.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that helped a lot. That's what I meant about landmines, and you've just helped me (and presumably others) avoid them.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Thanks, that helped a lot. That's what I meant about landmines, and you've just helped me (and presumably others) avoid them.
Still a good idea to read up on the materials. I only went over brief overview. Don't skimp on research because it is your money and your copyrights. The info is free and you can read several contracts. Get into the habit--it is one of those things you need to survive in this industry and do it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.