PDA

View Full Version : CULT

CrastersBabies
02-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Did anyone catch the pilot? It aired tonight. Here is a trailer for the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJnIGUmzZTw

The pilot was interesting. I liked the meta-fiction aspect of it. And it has Alaric from the Vampire Diaries and Jo from Supernatural.

I'm on board for next week. We'll see how it goes.

Calla Lily
02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Darn. I forgot it was on. It's a CW show, yes? I'll look for it online in a couple of days.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
02-20-2013, 06:44 PM
It was definitely better than The Following, and the aesthetic style "looks" like Supernatural. But if this mysterious "Steve" guy is not either supernatural or an alien I am just gonna be pissed.

CrastersBabies
02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Call, yeah, CW. It was a pilot, which is pretty much saying it wasn't perfect, but it has potential, imho. :)

K. Taylor
02-21-2013, 05:37 AM
Re-airing Friday 9pm ET/PT.

Manuel Royal
02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Just watched it on Hulu. Interesting, but feels like a time-waster.

Would have been really neat if I'd known nothing about it, so I could have been surprised to find the opening scenes were a show-within-a-show. Alas, unremitting promotion didn't allow me that luxury.

Feels like it could be a lot more intelligent than it is. No surprises thus far.

The CW self-promotion bugs me. They could have made up a fictitious studio to produce the fictitious show, but no, it's a CW show (within the world of the main show) so we get numerous shots of the famous WB lot.

My feeling is it'll end up being a meaningless puzzle-box, like Lost.

Mostly, it's a reminder of how stupid and irritating the fandom for tv shows tends to be. The original Trekkies at least had a connection to overall sf fandom.

CrastersBabies
02-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Manuel, you pretty much hate everything, so this is no surprise.

K. Taylor
02-27-2013, 03:00 AM
Finale date (http://www.eonline.com/news/392179/the-vampire-diaries-supernatural-90210-get-finale-dates-from-cw).

Manuel Royal
02-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Manuel, you pretty much hate everything, so this is no surprise.You're mistaken, which is excusable, and insulting, which is not.

I don't suppose you have a refutation (to my critique of the show) to offer in place of personal comments?

CrastersBabies
02-27-2013, 05:40 AM
You're mistaken, which is excusable, and insulting, which is not.

I don't suppose you have a refutation (to my critique of the show) to offer in place of personal comments?

First off, it was half-joking.

The half that was joking was poking fun.

The other half that was not joking can dig up at least 15 threads (in the past 6 months alone) where you pretty much tear up everything in your path. Could be I'm just on the wrong threads. Sorry if you were insulted by my delivery, but honestly? I have no idea what you like. I would love to know one thing that you like. A show. A television series.

It's like trying to catch Santa coming down the chimney. I want to believe!

eternalised
02-27-2013, 10:06 PM
I actually liked The Following better. More believable. Here, I'm like: meh, all right, I get why the guy tries to find out more about the cult, but not why the woman is involved. Even after I watched episode two I was like 'okay, but would you risk your life for that'? Because this cult seriously means business.

Manuel Royal
02-27-2013, 11:39 PM
First off, it was half-joking.

The half that was joking was poking fun.

The other half that was not joking can dig up at least 15 threads (in the past 6 months alone) where you pretty much tear up everything in your path. Could be I'm just on the wrong threads. Sorry if you were insulted by my delivery, but honestly? I have no idea what you like. I would love to know one thing that you like. A show. A television series.

It's like trying to catch Santa coming down the chimney. I want to believe!Then, by your own admission, you clearly lack the knowledge on which to base such a harsh accusation. Perhaps not saying it would have been the better choice.

Have you noticed there's a thread (one of remarkable longevity and popularity) about The Walking Dead? Have you ever read any of the many threads in which I've brought up a book or movie I love?

Listen, if you produce a book, a movie, or a tv show, you'll do well to have somebody like me give you an opinion about it. Forget about effusive praise, but count on an honest evaluation of what I find good and bad about it. It would delight me to report that it's great. Actual hate is unlikely.

(I do hate Led Zeppelin, but that's not based on the quality of their music, nor anything they've done. In fact, I resent the fact their music is so good. I simply hate the band, and its individual members. It's an irrational prejudice.)

To be fair, you were more presumptuous and hyperbolic than insulting. You are forgiven. We won't discuss this again.

I'll check out the second episode of Cult. Often it takes a while for a series to find its legs.

CrastersBabies
02-28-2013, 03:31 AM
I haven't checked out the 2nd episode, but I'm glad you forgive me. :) I have read the Walking Dead thread. I wonder why I'm not clicking that you write positive things there. It must be some weird mental thing. I might need help. :D

veinglory
02-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Based on the first two episodes, this show is surprisingly boring.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
02-28-2013, 06:07 AM
I still say it better be aliens!

K. Taylor
02-28-2013, 01:07 PM
The CW has moved their new series Cult (http://www.ksitetv.com/category/cult/) away from Tuesday nights at 9.

The network announced today that starting on March 8, the series will be airing new episodes Fridays at 9PM following Nikita.

Effective immediately, repeats of other CW shows will take over Tuesdays at 9PM. On March 5, The CW will run an encore of Beauty And The Beast (http://www.ksitetv.com/category/beauty-and-the-beast/)… perhaps a test to see how the show might do there for a second season in the Fall?

Here’s the press release:
February 27, 2013 (Burbank, CA) ─ CULT will move to its new night on Friday, March 8 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET), as investigative journalist Jeff Sefton (Matt Davis) searches for his missing brother and uncovers the dark underworld of the TV show “Cult” and its rabid fans. The series also stars Jessica Lucas as Skye Yarrow, Alona Tal as Kelly Collins and Robert Knepper as Billy Grimm.
Encore episodes of CW series will take over the Tuesday, 9:00-10:00 p.m. timeslot, beginning with BEAUTY AND THE BEAST on March 5.

CULT is from Fake Empire and Rockne S. O’Bannon Television in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/#) Studios, with executive producers Rockne S. O’Bannon (“Farscape,” “V”), Josh Schwartz (“Chuck,” “Gossip Girl”), Stephanie Savage (“Hart of Dixie,” “Gossip Girl”) and Len Goldstein (“Hart of Dixie”).
http://www.ksitetv.com/cult/cult-moves-to-fridays-repeats-of-other-cw-series-to-take-tuesday-at-9/20165#sthash.3sP0naUD.dpuf

boozysassmouth
03-03-2013, 04:31 AM
I was optimistic at first, but now I'm kind of eh. I'm intrigued to see what transpires with Robert Knepper's character (not Billy Grimm, but the actor who plays him), as he seems to be falling for his own hype. I think he and Alona Tal are doing a great job, but I'm not impressed with the other actors or characters. I think the reporter and the woman who works for the show are coming off as a bit dense. It's very hard to root for characters like that.

Honestly, I have a fascination with cults, and I was very interested in the social commentary on fandoms, but I'm already kind of bored with it. I feel like a network like Fox or ABC could have done a better job with it.

I agree with a previous poster that The Following is much better. Though I really do love Robert Knepper.

I'll give the next episode a shot though.

CrastersBabies
03-03-2013, 04:38 AM
Wow, way to completely screw with a show by moving it after a few episodes. Hmmm. Not good.

boozy, ya know, I think you have some valid points. This doesn't have the cultish feel. It just feels like weird people watching a show, fans going too far. I don't get a cult vibe from it. More like organized crime.

I'm sticking with it because I do like some of the intrigue so far.

K. Taylor
03-03-2013, 05:41 AM
The show has been struggling on Tuesdays at 9 (very competitive) and encoring on Fridays at 9, so the CW might've seen more promising numbers on the Friday repeats than Tuesday. Plus, Cult doesn't fit in tonally with its lead-in, Hart of Dixie at all. It does fit better with Nikita as a lead-in, which is a serious drama. They're giving it a chance to survive.

boozysassmouth
03-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Yeah, usually a show being moved to Friday is a sign that it's not doing well. I think if they'd focused more on the fandom stuff and tech-internet stuff, they may have had a better chance with the younger crowd that lives and breathes facebook.

I would have been hooked if they'd gone more in depth with the fandom stuff, since I think fandom psychology is fascinating (I've been a part of a few). There's a whole history to fan involvement that they could have used. But like Crater said it's just a bunch of weird people watching a show. That phrasing made me laugh, by the way.

I wonder, being on the CW, if they would have fared better with high school aged protagonists (the non-tv show protags)? It would have been more limited, but it might have worked better with the CW demographic.

K. Taylor
03-03-2013, 01:26 PM
The CW has tried various shows at Tuesday at 9 in recent years and at least 2 previous in that spot would appeal to a younger demo and still got canceled. I don't think something has done well on Tuesdays since Veronica Mars lived there. Reaper premiered Tuesday at 9 for '07-'08. The following year had Privileged. The one after that had Melrose Place. The one after that, Life Unexpected, then Hellcats. Year after that, Ringer.

Tuesday 9pm is a consistent loss for The CW.

Cult had a lot of hype coming out of Comic-Con, then they set it aside for a mid-season premiere. People probably either forgot about it or got committed to other shows by the time it aired, so moving it to a night with less expectations is the only thing they can do to give it a chance.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I don't think something has done well on Tuesdays since Veronica Mars lived there.Ah, Veronica Mars...How I love and miss her.

Celia Cyanide
03-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I just watched the first two episodes. I am a bit interested in what is going on, but I have to say, I don't care about the characters at all. It may also have to do with the acting. The thing that I found so compelling about LOST was not just the weird, mysterious story, but the characters, and the acting. There could be an episode in which nothing interesting, plot-wise, happened, but if there was a scene between Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson, it was worth seeing.

Billy seems to be a one-dimensional version of Ben. He lacks Michael Emerson's perfect mix of charisma and creepiness. He just comes off as a creep, and not someone you believe could be that charismatic, calculating, and dangerous.

I agree with what CB said about it being more about "weird people watching a show." I was hoping it was going to be about the cult phenomenon behind shows like this, as if to ask, "what if a cult following were literally a cult, and people like Joss Whedon and JJ Abrahms were really cult leaders?" But all the fandom feels like it was written by someone who doesn't really understand cult fandom, didn't research it very well, and most importantly, think it's weird and kind of stupid.

Like many in this thread, I am intrigued enough to keep watching, but I'm not expecting much.

boozysassmouth
03-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I just watched the first two episodes. I am a bit interested in what is going on, but I have to say, I don't care about the characters at all.

I realized that the other day when I was talking to a friend about the show. I find Billy interesting, but I've always been fascinated by cults, so it probably stems from that. And I'm kind of interested in Kelly, but I've seen that actress in other shows. I don't care about the reporter or the woman who works for the show at all (can't even remember their names), and I think that's a major failing of the show.

That and they kind of abandoned the fandom concept, which was what made the show distinctive.

Seraph
03-09-2013, 08:51 AM
figaroooooooooooooo

Celia Cyanide
03-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Okay, I just watched the new one...there are hidden messages if you play the show backwards? That is so 80's!

CrastersBabies
03-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Okay, I just watched the new one...there are hidden messages if you play the show backwards? That is so 80's!

Lol, it is! I remember listening to my Purple Rain album backwards. It said:

"Hello, how are you?
I'm fine 'cause I know that the Lord is coming soon
Coming, coming soon."

The 3rd episode was interesting. I'm not feeling particularly grounded yet. Not sure why. I'm not getting a lot of characterization from the main guy (Alaric from VD) or the woman who is helping him.

I like the guy playing "Billy" (the actor/actor role). That's the interesting storyline for me so far, how Steven R. is going to screw him over somehow.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-12-2013, 10:38 AM
I keep waiting for a wow moment.

Even on the show within a show (SWS) there hasn't really been anything significant. They keep telling us that the SWS is a trippy-dippy hit, but all the scenes we see seem like pretty standard copshow fair. (So they're "telling" and not "showing".) I want to know why the SWS is a hit--some weird sort of psychology? Some weird theology? They've given us no reason to believe that people might be addicted to the SWS.

Celia Cyanide
03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
I like the guy playing "Billy" (the actor/actor role). That's the interesting storyline for me so far, how Steven R. is going to screw him over somehow.

I am starting to like him too, both the character of the actor, and his character on the SWS. But that groupie girl is terrible, and is completely ruining that whole subpot for me.

Celia Cyanide
03-24-2013, 01:12 PM
This show is unbelievable. I want to keep watching, even though it just isn't that good. It's funny how something like this can draw me in, but something like Mad Men, which I think is excellent, doesn't make me feel compelled to keep watching.

CrastersBabies
03-24-2013, 08:16 PM
You and me both, Celia (though I do watch Mad Men voraciously). :D I just don't care about the characters. Except for maybe the blonde on the show (Jo from Supernatural). I actually care more about her than the main characters, and I'm worried for the "actor" Billy.

They're wasting the main character (Alaric from Vampire Diaries) and the woman who is the lead is so forgettable. I will admit that the "mass drug" incident was mildly interesting, but ugh. The writing feels so inconsistent and if they aren't hooking people hardcore by now, I smell cancellation. There hasn't been an "OMG WHAAAAT?" moment on the show yet.

I will make one completely weird side-note, when I saw Alaric in the Billy Grimm vest, I thought he'd make a badass Han Solo for some reason.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Matthew+Davis+Cult+Press+Line+Comic+Con+Internatio nal+8oZ9oksTz2ol.jpg

Not that anyone could replace Harrison Ford, but yeah. That came to my mind. I know, strange.

Celia Cyanide
03-25-2013, 04:03 AM
I think the woman who plays the lead is the weak link in the show. The thing they did with "the kiss" by having all the cosplayers kiss like Billy and Kelly did on the show was cute. It seemed like a real thing they would do at a costume party for such a show. But they had zero chemistry. If they had chemistry, it would have been a cute moment. Instead, it just makes their attraction seem forced and cliched.

It's weird, I'm watching it, but it feels like a weird combination of watching it because it's so bad, and watching because I'm interested in the mystery. I really do wanna know where dude's brother is. And I'm curious about Stephen Rae, and what the show really is. And yet I don't take it that seriously. Huh.

CrastersBabies
03-25-2013, 04:50 AM
That's how I feel. There is zero chemistry between the two main leads. Zero. Usually the CW nails this with its leads, too. And yeah, I want to know where the brother is, but don't care about the female lead's father. I think the female cop is also interesting as well.

boozysassmouth
03-25-2013, 05:04 AM
I'm right there with you. I keep trying to figure out why I still want to watch it, and I've come to the same conclusion.

I think another problem with the show is it's about fan communities, by writers who aren't familiar with these communities. They haven't been able to say why the show within a show would be such a cult hit, because they don't know. It might have behooved them to get one of their researchers to, i don't know, research fan communities? Especially considering that's what the main female protagonist is doing.

And I agree that they haven't really given us enough to make it interesting. We have no reason to believe Cult, the fictional show, would be a hit, and we have no reason why people would want to protect it. Seriously, I love the X Files to bits, but I never considered killing anyone as a viable option to keeping it on the air.

I still find the actor characters more interesting than any of the other characters. And I saw that thing with Alona Tal's character (the actress) coming a mile away.

My guess is that the CW is going to burn off what they've ordered and call it quits. Though, if they haven't ordered enough to wrap it up, they may shoot more.

CrastersBabies
03-25-2013, 08:42 AM
boozysassmouth, wassup!

I agree with you. It could be that I have a connection to the "show within a show" lead because she played Jo on Supernatural. Then again, I loved the main lead as Alaric on the Vampire Diaries but I'm not feeling it from him now. That leads me to believe it's the writing, plain and simple.

I actually find myself more interested in the Cult show (within a show) than I do the present drama at times. It's kind of a hot mess now. Something big needs to happen, an "ah hah!" moment.

Heck, even the Secret Circle had serious "omg" moments by this many episodes, even though the lead actress was grossly miscast.

boozysassmouth
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Hey Crater, sorry for periodically disappearing, life is kind of crazy now.

Yeah, I watch Supernatural too, so I wondered if that was why I was more interested in her as well. I also really loved the guy that plays Billy in his guest spot on Criminal Minds. I think the problem with the other two actors is that they have little to no screen presence, and agreed, no chemistry as well.

And I also agree, I'm often more interested in Cult, the fake show than Cult, the real show. But I think the fake show is a mess too, since they don't seem to have a coherent idea of what kind of cult Billy runs. They've pulled pieces from the Mason family, the Branch Davidians (Waco) and Warren Jeffs' FLDS group, at least, and those are very dissimilar types of cults. At least Manson is very different than the other two. That leads me to believe they haven't done much research on cults either.

Hot mess is a good way to put it. :)

Celia Cyanide
03-26-2013, 02:07 AM
I think another problem with the show is it's about fan communities, by writers who aren't familiar with these communities. They haven't been able to say why the show within a show would be such a cult hit, because they don't know.

Yes, and I think I can finally put my finger on what's missing from it.

Does anybody remember LonelyGirl15? It was a web series that appeared to be a video blog by a 15 year old homeschooler. I'm not recommending it as a good or bad show, but they way they introduced the cult aspect was well done. One day, the girl said in her vlog, "If I told you about my religion, you guys would be really judgemental." Some comments assumed that she was a member of an obscure sect of fundamentalist Christianity, which may have had something to do with why she was homeschooled.

Then one day, viewers noticed a picture of Allister Crowley on her wall.

She also started appearing in vlogs with cotton balls taped to her arms with medical tape, as if she had been given injections, but she said nothing about going to the doctor.

After a while, she started talking a bit more about her religion, and implied that the injections may have had something to do with it.

Fans were posting all over the message boards wondering what her religion was, what it had to do with Crowley, and what the injections were for.

I don't see anything like that in CULT's show-within-a-show. To be fair, we only see a scene or two of it each week. But if this stuff were there, wouldn't they show it to us?

What I see in the show-within-a-show is a good drama with a solid premise and interesting actors. I see how the show could be very popular, and even inspire a fandom that included cosplay and reinactments. What I don't see is anything that would make fans want to analyze the show in microscopic detail.

There are some TV shows that people analyze a lot, but this doesn't seem like that kind of a show. It's like the cult following of TWIN PEAKS and LOST, as opposed to the cult following of MY SO CALLED LIFE and FREAKS AND GEEKS.

In any event, I think I'm having just as much fun talking with you guys about what is wrong with this show as I usually do talking about shows I like!

CrastersBabies
03-26-2013, 02:56 AM
Celia, they seem to be using the idea of what a cult is in a "one size fits all" manner. I had a personal experience with a cult when I was younger. I lived out in the country and I met these two girls my age out riding my horse one day. They seemed totally normal, a lot of fun.

One day, when I was at their house, they told me to wait in the barn for an hour while they did their "praying." I guess I didn't think anything of it until the older girl asked me if I wanted to pray with them one afternoon. I said, "Sure," thinking "praying" meant what I did in church with my grandma.

They had me wear this veil over my head and sit while the mother read something in German. The youngest one translated part of it to me, saying that they were preparing for "four days of darkness" and when that darkness came, you couldn't look out the window or go outside or you'd be taken away by Satan. They also told me not to tell my parents, which I didn't. It felt like a big, cool secret that I had. (I was 7 or 8).

It got more and more weird. I went from just wearing a veil to wearing this black lace dress they lent me. They ended up moving away. I look back now and see how they were grooming me (for what, I had no clue, but I'm glad I didn't find out). And cults, to this day, are a scary thing for me--the way they suck you in, brainwash you, etc..

I do not get that creepy feeling at all from the Cult (either the cult in the show, or the cult in the real-time narrative). It's just like fanatics running around taking a television series too far. Billy stabs a guy in the hands. Okay, where's the mental breakdown? Where's the blurring of lines here?

I don't know how they're wanting to define "cult" for the series.

It could be that they're shying away from religion because it might be too hot-button an issue for some? But, I have a difficult time thinking of a cult that isn't related to religion or spiritual "transcendence" in some way.

I'll probably keep watching it, and it will probably get cancelled, and that's fine. It's kind of a way to kill time right now.

Celia Cyanide
03-26-2013, 03:22 AM
Celia, they seem to be using the idea of what a cult is in a "one size fits all" manner. I had a personal experience with a cult when I was younger. I lived out in the country and I met these two girls my age out riding my horse one day. They seemed totally normal, a lot of fun.

One day, when I was at their house, they told me to wait in the barn for an hour while they did their "praying." I guess I didn't think anything of it until the older girl asked me if I wanted to pray with them one afternoon. I said, "Sure," thinking "praying" meant what I did in church with my grandma.

They had me wear this veil over my head and sit while the mother read something in German. The youngest one translated part of it to me, saying that they were preparing for "four days of darkness" and when that darkness came, you couldn't look out the window or go outside or you'd be taken away by Satan. They also told me not to tell my parents, which I didn't. It felt like a big, cool secret that I had. (I was 7 or 8).

It got more and more weird. I went from just wearing a veil to wearing this black lace dress they lent me. They ended up moving away. I look back now and see how they were grooming me (for what, I had no clue, but I'm glad I didn't find out). And cults, to this day, are a scary thing for me--the way they suck you in, brainwash you, etc..

Aaaaaand, this is a lot more interesting than anything I've seen from Billy's cult yet. And that is why cults are interesting and scary, because most kids who were raised with religion would react just the way you did. "Oh, praying. Cool. I know what that is." That's exactly what I would have done.

I do not get that creepy feeling at all from the Cult (either the cult in the show, or the cult in the real-time narrative). It's just like fanatics running around taking a television series too far. Billy stabs a guy in the hands. Okay, where's the mental breakdown? Where's the blurring of lines here?

Me neither. I get it that Billy is supposed to be a bad guy, but I have no idea what his agenda is. We recently learned that he was married to Kelly, and that he was probably not faithful to her. But that just makes him a douchbag. I don't see how that makes him dangerous.

The one thing that was kind of interesting was the division between the fanatics of the TV show. Apparently, some of them are trying to hurt the actress playing Kelly because of their weird loyalty to "Billy." And the cop is part of a group that wants to stop them. However, it's not because they aren't as fanatical, but because they feel they need to "protect the show."

There are a couple little touches that I like, for some reason, like the actors playing Billy and Kelly not getting along in real life. I thought that was kind of funny. :)

boozysassmouth
03-26-2013, 05:29 AM
What I see in the show-within-a-show is a good drama with a solid premise and interesting actors. I see how the show could be very popular, and even inspire a fandom that included cosplay and reinactments. What I don't see is anything that would make fans want to analyze the show in microscopic detail.

Having read that, yes I think you got it on the head. I think they didn't develop the cult in the fake show enough before they started writing the real show. They probably figured they didn't need to, we'd just accept that it was awesome. The problem is that we can't believe the fan following unless they do the work to make us as invested in the show.

Celia, they seem to be using the idea of what a cult is in a "one size fits all" manner.

Completely agree with this. And that's a creepy experience you had, and I'm very curious as to what religion that family practiced. I guess you never found out?

And I agree with Celia that we haven't gotten that in Cult. We don't really know what Billy's cult is about, we don't even know if they're religious. And while Billy does appear to be sort of charismatic, and that he rules a bit by fear, we haven't seen him really lead his cult in anything except that display in front of the children. I am curious about his relationship with Kelly though, how that started and how it ended, as in how she ended up with the guy that deprogrammed her.

I think the guy that tried to kill Kelly was on his own. I don't think he was part of the cult of fanatics, but that he just commented on a message board that they cult kept an eye on.

One of my issues with the last episode was that every person at that party was dressed as Billy or Kelly. Is there not a single supporting cast member on the fake show? In a group of extremely devoted fans, there would be people dressed as supporting and even obscure cast members. Fans relish the minutia in shows.

CrastersBabies
03-26-2013, 06:54 AM
boozy, you know, I think it was something to do with this (I googled the terms): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Days_of_Darkness

(Three, not four, I guess?)

Only it was not that you'd fall down dead (as it states on the site), but that Satan would "get you." I vividly remember that! So weird. The girls were VERY serious about it, telling me that when the darkness came, I was not to look out my window that they didn't want to lose me as a friend. Creepy!

I also think there is something intriguing about the two fan factions, but, again, they just brush against it then drop stuff like this. It could be pacing issues. They could simply be moving too slow.

boozysassmouth
03-27-2013, 02:15 AM
Interesting...

Perhaps if Satan gets you, you fall down dead? Creepy, indeed.

Honestly, I think pacing issues is giving them too much credit, I think they just didn't do any research into fandoms. Although, they may be having difficulty covering everything, because they're running two shows in one. I imagine that limits what they can cover in each show. I'm wondering if they're going to find the guy that tried to kill the actress dead somewhere in the next episode.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-27-2013, 05:40 AM
I'm wondering if they're going to find the guy that tried to kill the actress dead somewhere in the next episode.
Probably not. Everyone seems to have forgotten the network suit who was kidnapped and tortured a few weeks ago.

boozysassmouth
03-28-2013, 04:07 AM
Probably not. Everyone seems to have forgotten the network suit who was kidnapped and tortured a few weeks ago.

Excellent point. Though I like to think that he/his body will pop up somewhere down the line.

CrastersBabies
04-07-2013, 04:32 AM
Okay, so intrigue is starting to happen (with the kids in the Moon house). Too little, too late, imho. Ugh. This show is just stumbling all over itself.

Celia Cyanide
04-07-2013, 09:37 AM
okay, I haven't watched that one yet. The one before that was filled with sound and fury signifying nothing. Maybe I'll watch the new one. As I said before, I want to keep watching, despite the fact that it's just not that good!

K. Taylor
04-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Cult Spoilers: Descriptions & Images From "The Devil You Know" & "Off To See The Wizard" http://t.co/c74Pa1NhAA

CrastersBabies
04-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Ahh, more Coco from Fame. Interesting.

boozysassmouth
04-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Okay, so intrigue is starting to happen (with the kids in the Moon house). Too little, too late, imho. Ugh. This show is just stumbling all over itself.

Up until the end with the last photo, I spent this entire episode half-watching and still going, "seriously, catch-up!" to Jeff and Skye (finally remembered their names!). Really, they just went off to question this woman, and didn't think for a minute that she might be involved somehow? They aren't coming off as the brightest people, which is really not the way to endear your audience to your characters. I did like that connection they made, but like you said, too little, too late. If they'd made a connection like that earlier, they might have had a pretty intriguing show. I think the problem there is that the show as written problem doesn't have the depth for a big reveal that early. I'm happy that another cop is finally noticing that there's issues with that female cop.

And, the episode before this one was really rather forgettable. I half-watched that one too, and I don't think I missed much. And the forced romance between the two leads is just starting to getting grating now.

Pet peeves: That is not how you handle questioning a child. You never suggest answers, you keep everything very open-ended. Children are very suggestible, and that type of questioning never would have held up in court or gotten her a warrant. Also, they don't let cops work on cases that they're that intimately involved in, that's just begging to have a judge toss all your evidence. The CW needs some law enforcement people to act as consultants.

CrastersBabies
04-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Pet peeves: That is not how you handle questioning a child. You never suggest answers, you keep everything very open-ended. Children are very suggestible, and that type of questioning never would have held up in court or gotten her a warrant. Also, they don't let cops work on cases that they're that intimately involved in, that's just begging to have a judge toss all your evidence. The CW needs some law enforcement people to act as consultants.

LOL, I noticed that too with the questioning of the child. I was like, "Whoah, leading questions there!"

Celia Cyanide
04-08-2013, 06:53 AM
I think I like this show the way I like a bad horror movie. I can't take it that seriously, but I still care what happens. When American Horror Story started to get bad, it just pissed me off.

boozysassmouth
04-09-2013, 03:46 AM
I think I like this show the way I like a bad horror movie. I can't take it that seriously, but I still care what happens. When American Horror Story started to get bad, it just pissed me off.

Huh, maybe that's why I keep watching? I love horror movies, good and bad. :)

Celia Cyanide
04-09-2013, 05:05 AM
I do too. I don't really care if they're bad, I still enjoy them, and I still care about the plot. Horror is really the only genre I feel that way about because I think I just like the creepy atmosphere, even if the story is a little cheesy.

This last episode finally started to have that creepy feeling. The only problem was...it didn't seem connected to the show at all.

K. Taylor
04-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Cult just hasn’t had the following they expected, so it’s being pulled from the CW schedule, EW confirms.

The show — starring Vampire Diaries actor Matt David and Supernatural‘s Alona Tal — has most recently aired on Fridays, but it’s next scheduled airing has been pulled to make room for an encore of the Carrie Diaries finale. Subsequent scheduled airings are being replaced by encores of Oh Sit, the network’s musical chairs competition show. (Ouch.)

No one can blame the CW, though. From the starting line, Cult failed to garner buzz. After starting its run on Tuesdays, the show was bumped to Fridays after just two episodes, where it tanked in ratings.

Cult had been set for a 13-episode freshman season, but only seven episodes have aired.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/10/cult-pulled-from-cw-schedule/

CrastersBabies
04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Ouch indeed. So, it's gone eh? I don't think any of us are surprised. Perhaps this means Alaric will come back to the Vampire Diaries. :)

boozysassmouth
04-13-2013, 03:24 AM
Subsequent scheduled airings are being replaced by encores of Oh Sit, the network’s musical chairs competition show. (Ouch.)

Ouch, indeed. I had to actually check to link to make sure that wasn't a joke. I just...I don't even know what to say to that.

I'm a little bummed though, I was enjoying critiquing the show, and I hope they at least burn off the episodes during a break or release them online, so we can find out what's so special about the SWS and why the brother was kidnapped.

Celia Cyanide
04-13-2013, 04:37 AM
I was enjoying the story. It was interesting, but just not done well enough.

K. Taylor
05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
@Rockne_S (http://www.absolutewrite.com/Rockne_S)[/URL]
Great news [URL="http://www.absolutewrite.com/search?q=%23TrueBelievers&src=hash"]#TrueBelievers (http://www.absolutewrite.com/Rockne_S/status/337738054292885504): The CW will be airing the shocking final episodes of #Cult (http://www.absolutewrite.com/search?q=%23Cult&src=hash) in 2 hour blocks 8pm-10pm on 6/28, 7/5 & 7/12. Enjoy!!

CrastersBabies
05-24-2013, 06:30 PM
@Rockne_S (http://www.absolutewrite.com/Rockne_S)[/URL]
Great news [URL="http://www.absolutewrite.com/search?q=%23TrueBelievers&src=hash"]#TrueBelievers (http://www.absolutewrite.com/Rockne_S/status/337738054292885504): The CW will be airing the shocking final episodes of #Cult (http://www.absolutewrite.com/search?q=%23Cult&src=hash) in 2 hour blocks 8pm-10pm on 6/28, 7/5 & 7/12. Enjoy!!

As always, you rock, K. Taylor

K. Taylor
06-25-2013, 01:40 PM
The CW’s #Cult (http://www.absolutewrite.com/search?q=%23Cult&src=hash) Returns: Images & Descriptions For The Final Episodes http://shar.es/xKDKg (http://t.co/XTbBKZngga)