Format question - binding??

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Hi guys,

Totally out of the blue, I received a request for a full from an NYC theatre in response to my query. I've never submitted a play before so it came as a complete eye-opener to me that theatre play submissions apparently have to be bound! Is it true or not? If it is, what's the correct way of doing it? I've just spent a couple of hours trying to research it (I normally submit novels and binding a novel submission is an absolute no-no) but couldn't find any trustworthy information about it, apart from the likes of eHow and such.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
My understanding is that they should be bound exactly as a screenplay is bound. TWO brass brads, use washers - nice heavy cover stock, white or neutral.

Unless specifically told otherwise, that's the way I'd go.

You could simply contact them and ask, "How would you like the script bound?" - They won't bite your head off.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
My understanding is that they should be bound exactly as a screenplay is bound. TWO brass brads, use washers - nice heavy cover stock, white or neutral.

Unless specifically told otherwise, that's the way I'd go.

You could simply contact them and ask, "How would you like the script bound?" - They won't bite your head off.

Thank you very much!! What a relief :)

zander

Registered
Reaction score
You can certainly go the brads route, it's cheapest, but there's more flexibility with formatting a play than a screenplay.

From reading scripts, I know that brads are a pain in the butt. They frequently come loose, and stab your fingers while you read. They're pretty terrible.

I typically use a spiral binding with a black back and clear cover. Office Depot or Office Max or Staples can do it for about $8. Makes for a much more pleasant reading experience.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Binding a playscript

Odocoileus is correct.

Use a binder that has a metal piece that passes through two of the holes in the paper. The piece will fit any standard letter-size paper with holes (whether you punch the holes or buy the pre-punched type). The covers are cardboard. This kind of binding allows (fairly) easy removal/addition of pages. There is also a place on the front where you can place an Avery-type label with the title and your name, if you want.

The binders that I have seen with a clear-plastic front were not designed to hold many pages, but other types may be available.

This is a much sturdier kind of binding than what you use for screenplays.

Last edited: