PDA

View Full Version : How do you use cue cards?

scheherazade
02-19-2013, 04:19 AM
Do you use cue cards for plotting or otherwise organizing a story? I'm curious to know what methods you use.

Kerosene
02-19-2013, 04:32 AM
Cue cards? But I don't dictate my stories on stage...

Sometimes, when I can't create a stable plot line and need the visual and physical reference, I lay them out.

Mostly, arrange flash cards from how they would appear in the book, each card as scene/chapter, with one sentence telling me what its about and notes underneath--then I start guessing word count and add it all up.

After I have that sorted out, I open Scrivener and copy the cards over.

Then to writing.

thothguard51
02-19-2013, 04:32 AM
I have a computer. I make little files I can pull up for just about anything and everything, from research to characters traits, time lines, world building and even special languages if need be.

I guess you could call those files cue cards but I don't think that is what you are talking about...

Dorky
02-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I do have cards that are supposed to be used for inspiration in creating a story. The ones I have are for creating characters and conflict. You pull out cards and go, “Hm. So this character is x and has problems with X.”

I haven't used them yet. I haven’t needed to, but I want to try writing a whole story with them to see how differently it would be from something I make up without help. :)

I think those are the type of cue cards you're talking about, right?

Myrealana
02-19-2013, 07:08 PM
I use Post-it notes for plot points. I put them up on my whiteboard and re-arrange, fill in and discard notes until I have a decent story.

Shadow_Ferret
02-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Cue cards? Do you mean the 3x5 index cards?

No. I keep everything in my head.