PDA

View Full Version : Georgette Heyer for the Twenties

Jenny
02-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Ok, I couldn't think of a good subject title, but you're here, reading this, so ...

I'm not an expert or anything, but I think Georgette Heyer (and yes, I'm a fan) pretty much popularised the whole Regency genre (Jeffrey Farnol was writing about the same time, but he wasn't as much fun). Do you think it would be possible to romanticise the 1920s in the same way?

Heyer went back about 100 years, where the '20s would only be going back 80. Is that too close? I don't think so.

The Regency period included a society at war, and Heyer started writing in a society still deeply influenced by WWI. What about now, is there a similar feeling to the twenties of desperate frivolling because life can be a nightmare?

And then there's the whole language thing. Heyer used a recognisable jargon, and the '20s have their own flippant speech. Also, it's relatively easy to pick up the language - darn, I'll just have to giggle my way through another Wodehouse.

Fashion, music, sexy cars, Art Deco.

I guess I'm suggesting the possibility of a Roaring Twenties genre. Has anyone started something like this? and if so, who is publishing it? Just think of the gorgeous heroes - pilots in leather, Amazon and Himalayan explorers, authors like Fitzgerald, Hollywood directors and actors. And the women. This is when we got the vote, flew planes, took up archaeology (ok, I don't know this as fact, but sounds true). So many possibilities.

Thoughts, anyone?

Jen

pdr
02-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes, there are several mystery writers setting their books in the twenties, some frivolously lighthearted and some not.

johnnysannie
02-02-2006, 05:00 PM
The Roaring Twenties are indeed a romantic period but one thing to keep in mind (I'm a historian as well as a writer) is that most people were not flappers and sheiks. Most people went to work, got married, died, had children, and all the usual. Technology did begin to enhance lives but there were great differences in different regions and a lot of differences between cities and rural areas. (Many rural areas did not get electricity until the 1930's and even 1940's).